Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: So I have a mental disorder and you can not heal this kind  (Read 3290 times)

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
So I have a mental disorder and you can not heal this kind
« on: September 16, 2018, 06:00:42 PM »
I have what is now known as "vintage 80's/90's dirt bike syndrome" this affliction causes ones brain to turn off and go to a euphoric state of yesteryear where one covets every bike from this era regardless of condition or state the machine might be in. This affliction only presents itself when around such machines that are not already in ones possession and although not dangerous, it is costly.

I was afflicted earlier this year when one of my best friends, who shall remain nameless ( although his name rhymes with Schmish Schmatt) scored a beat to shit basket case 89 RM 125 K for 25$. I absolutely love the Zook model years 89-92. Just something about the way they look always excited me. To say I was jealous would be an understatement. Then one day he says to me " i'm giving you the zook, you come over and pick it up. I'm not going to do anything with it and I know you will do her justice"

Well, long story short I roll the old girl into my garage a couple of months ago, or what there is of her, and begin to asses the situation. I have here before me a rolling chassis and 2/3 an engine in a box. So I start locating and  purchasing parts, levers, reed valve and boot, right side case, levers, hardware, cushions, whole electrical system, side panels, rear fender, front number plate, top end, crank rebuilt, cylinder, head, power valve, clutch, bars, chain and sprockets, chain guide and slider, etc etc.

I didnt have to do suspension as my best bud Angelo who owns Static suspension out of Long Island, told me he would rebuild the kit for free! A god send this one. He does great work and if ya want to give him business let me know and I will get you his contact info. Thanks Angelo, I am grateful.

well anyway, here are some pics of today's test:

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 06:05:37 PM by racer x »

Offline rsmith

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
Re: So I have a mental disorder and you can not heal this kind
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 08:26:59 AM »
Ah yes. I know that affliction personally and in full measure. Not only am I a sufferer but it, as you noted, it is highly contagious. My wife is now afflicted as well.

At last count we had 32 motorcycles in various states of completeness, mostly 80's to mid 90's.

We got a storage unit to put a car into. By the time the car was ready the storage unit was full of motorcycles.

I try to stay off of craigslist, I really do!

The garage:

Storage:

--Ron.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 08:32:44 AM by rsmith »

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 06:05:48 PM »
 support meetings every second Tuesday and Thursday lol

Offline nancis

• Administrator
  • Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 06:29:44 PM »
Everybody meet on Craigslist, 7pm sharp!  ;D ;D
More bikes than I can list...regular riders 2015 Beta XT300, 1986 IT200, 1980 IT175

Offline rsmith

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 08:03:27 AM »
Welcome!

... and support group.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 08:35:18 AM »
Racer it looks great...  I too suffer from this affliction.  A few years ago I picked up a KDX 200 basket case...  If was a fun build, and a even better buddy bike. 
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 01:03:54 PM »
Racer it looks great...  I too suffer from this affliction.  A few years ago I picked up a KDX 200 basket case...  If was a fun build, and a even better buddy bike.
thanks epro, this too was fun to build

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 04:35:43 PM »
Nice bike.

I last had about 11 bikes in various state of competition before leaving PA for TX. Currently due to a failed 3rd back surgery last year and now cancer (melanoma stage 3C, means it spread to lymph nodes) results in the fact that I am currently bike-less. Well except for my poor old neglected PE175 project that is still in pieces.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 10:51:51 AM »
Nice bike.

I last had about 11 bikes in various state of competition before leaving PA for TX. Currently due to a failed 3rd back surgery last year and now cancer (melanoma stage 3C, means it spread to lymph nodes) results in the fact that I am currently bike-less. Well except for my poor old neglected PE175 project that is still in pieces.
Wow coop, sorry to hear about these setbacks, there are more important things than bikes unfortunately and the PE will be there when youre healed and ready. Stay positive my friend and keep fighting.