Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: racer x race report The Wick 338 Northeast Vet championship  (Read 3327 times)

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
I was excited to see this race pop up on the Wicks events page and to be honest I was going to race the 03 CR 125 until I saw the class line up that included open vintage, open two stroke and 125 two stroke! OOOOHHHHH! This means I can race my beloved 93 CR125 without worry of competing against large displacement four-strokes. I'm even more excited now than I was thinking it to be just your regular vet classes.

So, I had some work to do as after my Sunday Practice fiasco at Dilla , the sweet little 93 suffered from some abnormal engine noise. After tearing her down my suspicion was confirmed, multiple bearings were growly and notchy and ready for replacement. I decided to give her the full rebuild since I had only done a top end since owning her. I finished the week prior to the event and would have to break her in the Saturday OP before the race.
Saturday 's weather was hit or miss, but with the Wick open regardless, I was going. It turned out to be the right gamble as very little precipitation fell and the track was in perfect shape. I put in a couple of moderate sessions then let her rip the next two until a rear puncture stopped me cold. I could have jumped on the 90, but the fact that I would have to wash her too convinced me otherwise lol. I managed to replace the tube, but the tire was out of sorts since it took me about two laps to realize what was going on with the rear end. Without a suitable replacement it would have to do. 
When my good friends the Blounts showed up I was forced to relocate my pit set up later Saturday afternoon to accommodate the arrival of two other family members Gino and Paul. Not much will be written about Gino other than he brought the replacement tube all the way from Long Island, because he chose to race his four stroke, eeeew. He has a magnificent 1990 KX 500 and only he knows why he chooses the dark side most of the time. Anyway, he arrives we make merry and I step in dog shit then retire to the back of Jason's hauler to sleep next to his gorgeous 1990 CR 500. F'n dog shit.
Sundays practice was looking to be epic as the track crew harrowed the sand leaving it all so pretty. I went over to the fence line to watch A-class practice and to see The Brit (aka Jason Blount) run with the big guns. The practice was a who's who of the northeast's finest : Dowd, Treadwell, Johnson, Coen, Vailencourt , Marshall and on and on. To say that tis practice was fast was an understatement. Then came the Brit, fast in his own right, but trying match pace with these titans. He got wicked squirrelly in the turn where I and his wife waved him by and I knew he needed to slow his pace or it was not end well. Well, he didn't come around next lap. Angelo (Gino also an A rider) came by waving an motioning and I knew the Brit weeded himself good. He returned too the pits under his own power but was worse for wear and packed it in for the day. Should have rode the CR 500 and all would be right in the world. Lessen to ya youngins. My practice went well, cause it was vintage and two stroke Duh! Me and Pauly had the time of our lives stretching our legs out there.
Moto 1 saw we open vintage guys take the line. I actually met an old friend Steve Violet moments before took our gates. It has only been about fifteen years since I last talked to him and he had a mint 82 RM 250 for  this race. Pauly on his mighty KX 500 and some sweet kwacker 125s as well as a couple of nice late 70's YZeds. When the gate dropped I got pulled into the first turn and sat about fith. I had good battles with Pual and one of them Kwacker 125's till I was able to break free and place up to third. I was then under extreme pressure from this dude Sam White aboard his 79 Yzed. we went back and forth for two laps until he broke me, but our battle carried us up to second but laps ran out and I had to settle for 4th.
Moto 2 was the open two stroke. I was about mid pack out the first turn and battled with this young girl from RI who rides her YZed 250 really well , she put a rider between us and I was on him but couldn't make a move before the checkers fell. P 9 was best I could do.
Moto 3 was the 125 two stroke class. I was amped for this was one and eager to race with some big names, ok be in the race with some big names. The thing is my bike sounded weird in the line. I was like whatever Ill race until it gets worse. It didn't take but around the first turn and my bike got louder. Quarter of a lap and it was like the silencer fell off. I checked it was still there. The header was still attached . So after the initial check I decided it best to get her back to the pits for better evaluation. I found that my recent oem ebay purchase blew apart at the seam. So I removed the Dynoport system from the 90 and installed it on the venerable 93! Dynoport power baby! So I was scored DNS.
Moto 2 of the open Vintage class went off well, I  found myself in third off the start, then second behind violet when the race 1 winner's bike went bang on top of  a jump and was out. I was quickly back under attack by Sam on his 79 YZed until I believe he fell down Henry highway as I did not hear him coming out. I put my head down and reeled in Steve, but he had just enough on me that I could not get close enough at the checkers so thats 4-2 scores for 2nd overall. Paul had a mega battle with old Sam after Sam fell, but had to settle for 4th and 4th overall good job brother!
Moto 2 of the open two stroke met us with a good Shower that would last most of the moto. Paul and I gated next to each other and off the gate I heard the mighty KX gasp and cough and looked to see paul pull to the side with a mechanical. The race was uneventful, I raced around behind the pack losing ground each lap, and finished last out the bikes circulating the track. That's 9-6 scores for 6th overall.
I did not attempt the final 125 class, as the heavens opened up and drenched all the track and rider alike and having spent most my energy over the past two days I called it quits.

Results: http://thewick338.com/assets/2018nevetres.html

125 moto 1 gate drop: https://youtu.be/af8BfpvGRJQ

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: racer x race report The Wick 338 Northeast Vet championship
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 09:39:54 AM »
Good stuff man. Way to keep going with all those mechanicals (tire, pipe).
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 09:54:18 AM »
Well done RacerX...  Well done.  You deserve a few tall cold beverages of your choice after that epic weekend
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 01:18:05 PM »
Thanks guys! Happy Independence Day to all here on TSM, crack a cold one for the Brit, he kinda gets depressed around this Holiday lol.

Offline nancis

• Administrator
  • Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 06:22:15 PM »
Awesome writeup!  Thoroughly enjoyed reading it! 
More bikes than I can list...regular riders 2015 Beta XT300, 1986 IT200, 1980 IT175

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 03:15:04 AM »
Thanks Nanci!

Offline KDXGarage

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 04:19:05 AM »
HECK YEAH! Congratulations, and thanks for the write up!

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 05:02:26 AM »
glad you enjoyed it KDX