Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Weekend ride 5/28/18  (Read 2573 times)

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
Weekend ride 5/28/18
« on: May 28, 2018, 11:38:58 AM »
Was invited to ride with a group of guys on some private single track.  Little did I know 7 out of the 12 guys regularly race in the local hare scramble circuit... oh well let’s see how I stack up... the trails are mostly tight tight single track, lots of mud, clay soil with trails that Mother Nature is trying to reclaim.   The hardest part for me was not knowing what’s up ahead... I was the only one who had not been there before.  The 1st loop I held up pretty well..   but after 2 hours I needed a break. We headed back to get some water & food.  One asks me if you don’t mind me asking how old are you... I’m 55.. holy crap 55 and still rocking a 380... yea all but one was younger than the number of years I’ve been riding a dirt bike...  😩 oh well let’s hit it again... after 60 min I knew I was done. I started making stupid mistakes. It took another 30 min to get back to the truck...I was dying...  they wanted me to go out for another loop... I knew better.  That’s when you’re tired and get up close and personal with a tree, or some other immovable object... no I’ll skip this loop

All smokers except two.  One owns a shop and wanted to try the KTM 250WXC F that was just traded in, instead of his KTM 200.  The other is s die hard stroker.  Oh well... we even had a vintage 88 husky running race fuel... ahhh the smell of race fuel.

The carnige... During the ride I started to get s cramp in my hip... would not go away. I knew I was dehydrated so I kept drinking water. Now this is the most non-stop riding I’ve done in a long, long time.  After I got home my 3 year old grand daughter wanted me to play blocks with her.  Of course I’m going to... hip hurts like hell but down onto the floor I go..  soon one side my groin starts to have a muscle  spasm...  oh shit now the other side too... I’m in agony.  I ask my grand daughter to get my wife who’s  outside.  I can’t I’m too little to open the door...  so I crawl, hang onto the furniture open the door and beg for help...  she brings me s large glass of dry red wine.  Drink this.  I chug it and in a few seconds the spasms stop... 

Yes she reminded me I’m not 18 and I need to get into shape before riding like that. Yes dear... thank you dear...  so here I sit on Monday, hip still hurts, right wrist hurts (I think when I fell my wrist landed on a log or tree limb)... but I am a happy guy... give me a few days to recover  and I’ll be ready to go again.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 05:43:27 AM by eprovenzano »
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline rsmith

• Administrator
  • Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend ride 5/28/18
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 08:24:46 AM »
Sounds like a great weekend.

It was a motorcycle filled weekend for us as well. Saturday was my wife and I's 6th year doing a poker run put on by a local club who has exclusive access to thousands of acres of forest land.

They call it the Shelton Family Fun Run, and every year I say that once again it has lived up to its name. This year was a bit dusty which was in stark contrast to our first year when it was super muddy!

It was also our vintage mx clubs double header. We didn't race this year but went out to spectate and socialize.

Monday was spent at my buddies house who has a private track and freshly cut trail section, swapping bikes back and forth. I rode the Project YZ250 for the first time (more on that soon.) I also rode his Lectron equipped and ported 94 Honda CR500, 2016 Husky TE300 and incongruously a 2006 CRF270.

That last switch was interesting to say the least and absolutely underscored that 2Ts are more fun to ride and in the case of the tight single track, much easier as well.

--Ron.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 01:08:34 PM »
You really need to start including some pictures in your ride reports... :P

One of the best things I did was buy a Camelbak to wear while riding. If you wait until you feel thirsty it's often too late, so being able to drink while riding is a big help (for me anyway).

No riding for me. Still recovering from back surgery #3, it has not bene going well.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 05:49:40 PM »
Sorry to hear that Coop... I did take my camel pak. Had it lying down in the back of my truck.  When I arrived at the riding area I discovered it leaked out all over my shorts and shirt I planned on wearing home... 😩👎. So I went without.. and paid the price... I’m still sore today... 2nd day can sometimes be worse than the day after... 😎

It’s all good... the wife said this morning you look as though you’ve lost weight... my answer that’s because I went riding two weekends in a row... imagine how skinny I’d be if I could ride more often...   no she didn’t buy that line of BS either. 🏆.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 12:26:41 PM »
LOL nice. It is good exercise for sure. Bummer about the Camelbak.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 01:50:41 PM »
cool epro! I get the whole cramping bit, i cheat with loads of cytomax on race days, it truly helps. lol, the crawling around on the floor is too familiar as well, only its mainly alcohol induced.