Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Observations from the weekend ride  (Read 2265 times)

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
Observations from the weekend ride
« on: August 07, 2017, 05:43:08 AM »
The weather was unseasonable cool... overcast with temps in the mid 70's...  had a brief light shower during the previous night...  conditions perfect.  6 riders... 5 smokers, 1 stroker. 

Several years ago, a riding buddy relocated to Florida to help further his career.  To help facilitate the move, he sold everything... his beloved KTM 250SX, riding gear, everything.... Fast forward 2.5 years... he's back... 1st thing he did was have a sit down and a long conversation getting another bike.  I reminded him of the grin on his face when he test rode a KTM 150SX.  He looked at a few but they were roached... found one in Michigan, and made the 6 hour drive (each way) to get her...  2013 KTM 150 SX... excellent condition... 

Sunday, the 1st day on the track with his new steed....  now this track does not have any really long stretch, its more is a tight & twisty with a lot of breaking bumps and turns.  The 150's PO had the suspenders set up for a 175 lbs rider...  Dave just happens to tip the scales at 170, so when he was blasting through the bumps, the back tire stayed planted.  It was quite a site to see as he was blowing by the 450's like they were standing still... They'd try to take his line away... no problem, he'd just either dive under or take the outer line.  He was having the time of his life... No it doesn't hurt that his riding style suits the 150 to a T... he is one who likes to go ring it's neck, and never let off...  plus he's just a damn good rider, he's so smooth.

I took a group into the woods on one of the more technical trails.  The 450 rider in our group struggled to keep up.  I was running a pretty good pace when I kept noticing a wheel right at my foot pegs...  Dave was setting me up for a pass.... I shut him down and tried to check out...  nope... he was right on my ass....  we came around a muddy turn and I didn't see the log across the trail buried in the mud... my front wheel slide down it like it was on ice... yep I go down in a graceful thud...  Dave stop realized I'm fine, laugh's his ass off... and then proceeds to roost me while he's laughing the whole time...  DAMN KIDS!!! 

All in all it was another great day on the bike...  I'm a little sore today, my ankle got a little tweaked, but other then a flat tire on my son's 300 and some bruised ego's...  it was a great day.  As I'm gimping around this morning getting ready for work, the wife says see what happens when you act like a kid... to which I say if I could go again today...  I'll suite up right now...  She asked when are you going to grow up???  NEVER!!! 

Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Observations from the weekend ride
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 06:21:04 AM »
Good stuff man.

I've actually been thinking my next woods bike may be a new 150. That or a slightly used 200. I am a big small bore fan. My KDX200 was still one of my all time favorite woods bikes, after my GasGass EC250 of course.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 09:28:20 AM »
I finally got one of my buddies out after a 2 year hiatus... He normally rides a KX125, but his some was coming along (he's currently bikeless).  So I had his son ride the KX, and had my buddy ride my 91 KDX.  Not riding for two years will really put you out of bike shape, so it was slow going... My son followed us into the woods, he quickly realized it was going to be a a slow pace so he passed us and continued on his merry way... 

In the beginning he commented that the KDX doesn't have the kick of his KX and it seems a bit slowl... yep that's right... but it tackled every obstacle without fail.  The one long hill climb he was unable to clear, he was able to get the bike into an place where he could start it, point it up the hill, let the bike find traction and it tractored up the hill.  He was amazed how the bike could find traction in some very slippery conditions... places where the KX125 would have been screaming and spinning, the KDX calmly motored along...  I believe he's thinking a good winter project may be to find and build a KDX...  He told one of his buddies we need to go riding and I have the perfect bike for you...  This is exactly why I built this bike...  as a buddy bike to get friends and family onto two wheels and enjoy a day in the dirt.

I love to take it out as to me (I'm used to big bores) I keep thinking OK were's the rest of the power... oh that's all there is  ;D  After riding a 300 and now a 380 when I get on a small bore bike, I have a full grin...  Nothing like twisting the throttle and using everything you have to get the bike to do what you want... 

As for my buddy on the 150, when we were looking for a 150, we were also looking for a KTM 200...  He loves the 150 though...  he's very happy he listened to this old mans advice for once...  :o  He's such a smooth rider, that he makes it look effortless...  When I'm sucking for air, or have arm pump, he's continues to just cruise by just enjoying life on the 150... 
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 08:10:06 AM »
On a side note... My buddy's  who rode the KX125...  could be heard laughing his butt off while piloting the KX around the track...  He's a staunch 4 stroke rider... he grew up on smokers, but drank the koolaid and was hooked... he was having a ball trying to get the 125 to do what he wanted it to do...  he's had several bikes over the years, mostly strokers... He mentioned yes he needs to get a bike, but this time he's thinking a 250 smoker...   :o  I was in shock...  he's gone from 250's to 450's back to 250 strokers, had 125's and 250 smokers...  but to hear him even consider a smoker... I almost fell down. 

Not to mention... he's an MX'er... really doesn't like the woods...  At my riding club, they held a Full Gas Sprint Enduro a month ago..  they made a lot of changes / additions to the trail system... When I took him out to the trails, He loved it.. we were able to ride at a very quick pace through the woods.  He was amazed as to what they did, how tight some parts were, while others were wide open...  he loves the big jumps, but really enjoyed clipping the bars of the trees... 

It was a good day for everyone.  8)
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)