Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 'Mags' Instead Of Spokes For Motocross Bikes?  (Read 3534 times)

Offline KXwestYZ

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
'Mags' Instead Of Spokes For Motocross Bikes?
« on: June 22, 2010, 05:00:38 PM »
Hi I was just wondering if it was possible to get 'mag' wheels instead of spoke wheels for motocross bikes? I have a KX 250 and everytime I go out I clean it from top to bottom and the bloody spokes take about 75% of the time to clean!! lol

I have googled a lot about this and cant find anything - I see plenty of BMX bikes and normal motorbikes with mag wheels but not seen any motocross bikes with them or any companies offering them..

Can anyone help?>  :)

Offline Sapper

• Junior
    • View Profile
Re: 'Mags' Instead Of Spokes For Motocross Bikes?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 05:54:47 PM »
Though they are strong for bicycles, they could never hold up to the abuse a mx bike would give it. They would bend too easily and not recover and most likely crack.
If you want cheap & fast, it won't be good.
If you want cheap & good, it won't be fast.
If you want good & fast, it won't be CHEAP

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
1970's Rokon 340s had magnesium "mag" wheels.

Offline socalcajun

• Expert
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 06:37:38 PM »
Damn you clean your spokes?  Nothing a good pressure washing won't take of. ;D
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell Out of the Way

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 07:30:56 PM »
All the attention I pay to my spokes is to blast 'em with the hose after every third ride or something.  I suspect they probably like having a little grease on there to keep things nice and rust-free.  It's like the chain, you don't want to just blast away whatever protective agent it's got, particularly if you're doing so with a rust-causing medium like water, as in pressure-washing.  A quick one-over on the rims with some moderate pressure is enough for me.  If you want to do an "out-of-the-crate" restoration, I guess you'd want to detail it but I don't see any reason to mess with it otherwise.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 09:47:02 PM »
You wash your bike jetz ? :D
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 10:46:19 PM »
Occasionally, I hose it down.  Like I said, about every third trip or so.  I honestly don't see the point of detailing it down to museum spec, just so it will go right back to how it was after fifteen seconds of riding.  If I had so many bikes that one or more of them would park for a season, I'd give it the toothbrush but I can't justify all that effort for two bikes that I ride every year and that really no one ever sees in the garage.  Well, except for my step-brother who lives in the garage, but he doesn't care. :P

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 05:21:45 AM »
Hi I was just wondering if it was possible to get 'mag' wheels instead of spoke wheels for motocross bikes? I have a KX 250 and everytime I go out I clean it from top to bottom and the bloody spokes take about 75% of the time to clean!! lol

I have googled a lot about this and cant find anything - I see plenty of BMX bikes and normal motorbikes with mag wheels but not seen any motocross bikes with them or any companies offering them..

Can anyone help?>  :)

Short answer is yes if you want them made from plastic/nylon/ABS and no if you want either cast aluminum or magnesium. Spoked whhels have 'give' in them so they will take the abuse off road demands.When spoked wheels are used in road racing with sticky modern tyres the rides say they can feel the wheel flex.

Offline KXwestYZ

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 07:59:54 AM »
Thanks for all the comments! - sounds great if I could get nylon or plastic Mags but does anyone know where to get them from?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 04:26:55 PM »
When spokes dont work.
The Yamaha Z spoke.

If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 08:26:41 AM »
Occasionally, I hose it down.  Like I said, about every third trip or so.  I honestly don't see the point of detailing it down to museum spec, just so it will go right back to how it was after fifteen seconds of riding.  If I had so many bikes that one or more of them would park for a season, I'd give it the toothbrush but I can't justify all that effort for two bikes that I ride every year and that really no one ever sees in the garage.  Well, except for my step-brother who lives in the garage, but he doesn't care. :P

Well one benefit of washing it after every ride is it lets you inspect it and often times I find problems while washing it that I didn't know about that could end in a ruined ride. But since I find them early I fix them.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.