Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Winta musings, baby its getting cold outside  (Read 7711 times)

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Winta musings, baby its getting cold outside
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 04:32:17 AM »
It was 54 yesterday, I actually wore a sweatshirt...I will be hating life come summer though. I hear it gets pretty miserable, I think I will be a dawn and dusk rider.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 07:59:02 AM »
last week near 70 this week winter returned highs in the 30's

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 06:17:18 AM »
I finally finished up the winter maintenance of my trusty steed, the mighty 380.  Really not a lot to do this year other than disassemble, clean, grease and reassemble.  Replaced the shroud and number plate graphics, along with the stock foot pegs.

Here she is all shined up ready to go...

I didn't realize how bad the stock foot pegs were  :o  I replaced them with a set of IMS pegs

Also just for yucks...  I thought I'd see if the 1991 KDX 200 basket case I built last winter would fire..  of course it did...  after all she is a smoker...  I built it as a buddy bike, it really came in handy for a few friends that were "bikeless" She's got a very smooth power band, and not so much power to get someone in over their head, but I've yet to see her stumble / fail.  If the rider was up to the challenge, so was she.  It was a great find especially at a total investment of $400.  When I got her the plastics were nasty covered in layers of black paint, and the fenders were not Kawi...  so I stripped the paint, and found the plastic was white...  I "borrowed" a set of old fenders from my KTM parts stash, and painted them and all the other plastic white.  (the KTM fenders added 20 HP).  The pic below is just after I finished the rebuild last year.  After a year of abuse, the paint on the tank has bubbled, the fenders and number plates are scratched, she's gone through a few clutch and brake levers, but who cares... I knew the more inexperienced would drop her from time to time.. I didn't build it to be a show piece..  I'll run it as it until next year when I'll pull her apart and repaint it again.  It's got a couch for a seat, and is just a tank.  It's really a fun time to tool around on. 

Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 02:11:46 PM »
My 2003 KDX200 was a great bike. Was yours originally one of the white KDX's or did you just decide you like white better than Kawasaki green?

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 05:32:16 AM »
My 2003 KDX200 was a great bike. Was yours originally one of the white KDX's or did you just decide you like white better than Kawasaki green?

It was one of the few white bikes.  After I stripped many layers of black paint, I found the plastics were white.  Also the frame still has it's original blue paint. Once I dug in, I found she's somewhat of a rare beast.. One issue I had...  the early 90's aluminum power valve gears were prone to breaking.  Of course they are not being produced anymore. I found a "chap" in the UK who reproduces them in stainless steel.  I also found the water pump was shot.  Couldn't find a replacement...  I did find the water pump in the "newer" bikes had the same impeller, but a larger and longer shaft.  I had the shaft cut and machined to match the 90's version.  I had to drill and tap one end and she was good to go. 

The bike really is fun...  not too over powering, but just always seem to put the power to the ground.  The rear sprocket was getting worn... I dug through my parts bin(s) and found a sprocket from my old 99 KX 250.  I slapped it on , and she lives to ride another day...  I never throw away old parts...  I seem to recycle them into another project
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2017, 06:11:27 AM »
I went through the power valve issue when I rebuilt a 1988 KX125. I lucked out and found a spare set on eBay if I remember correctly.

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2017, 03:36:56 PM »
I finally finished up the winter maintenance of my trusty steed, the mighty 380.  Really not a lot to do this year other than disassemble, clean, grease and reassemble.  Replaced the shroud and number plate graphics, along with the stock foot pegs.

Here she is all shined up ready to go...

I didn't realize how bad the stock foot pegs were  :o  I replaced them with a set of IMS pegs

Also just for yucks...  I thought I'd see if the 1991 KDX 200 basket case I built last winter would fire..  of course it did...  after all she is a smoker...  I built it as a buddy bike, it really came in handy for a few friends that were "bikeless" She's got a very smooth power band, and not so much power to get someone in over their head, but I've yet to see her stumble / fail.  If the rider was up to the challenge, so was she.  It was a great find especially at a total investment of $400.  When I got her the plastics were nasty covered in layers of black paint, and the fenders were not Kawi...  so I stripped the paint, and found the plastic was white...  I "borrowed" a set of old fenders from my KTM parts stash, and painted them and all the other plastic white.  (the KTM fenders added 20 HP).  The pic below is just after I finished the rebuild last year.  After a year of abuse, the paint on the tank has bubbled, the fenders and number plates are scratched, she's gone through a few clutch and brake levers, but who cares... I knew the more inexperienced would drop her from time to time.. I didn't build it to be a show piece..  I'll run it as it until next year when I'll pull her apart and repaint it again.  It's got a couch for a seat, and is just a tank.  It's really a fun time to tool around on. 

very cool epro