Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Cracked wheel?  (Read 14260 times)

Offline FatBiker

• Novice
    • View Profile
Cracked wheel?
« on: June 03, 2010, 09:10:11 PM »
I'm kind of a tight wad so keep that in mind.  Should I have this welded or replaced?  I'm a very mild rider if that makes any difference.  It's off of an '82 RM 250.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Cracked wheel?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 09:39:24 PM »
Your rim has told you it is time for it to retire. Get a new one off Ebay.

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 09:42:58 PM »
yeah, that looks pretty bad
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline RideRedMx2

• Expert
  • HRC FACTORY RACING
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000301824082&ref=profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 12:19:40 AM »
That rim is toast....replace it before it hurts you   :o

Honda CR-250R #2.....Vet Class
CycleNation Powersports...Cycle Center Of Denton...HRC Factory Racing

Offline admiral

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 06:01:03 AM »
i think the fatigue life of the rim has been reached :o usually when you weld a rim it cracks again right next to the weld.

Offline G-MONEY

• Expert
  • LET'R BUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 08:00:25 AM »
I have a riding buddy who welded a crack just like that one.No matter how hard I tried I could never true it up. The weigth of the weld through it horribly out of balance.It did hold but the shaking finally drove him nuts it was on the front. I agree, start soaking the nipples with penatrating oil while you find a replacement.
"Everthing's the same just slightly different"

Offline 83 CR480R

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 11:05:07 AM »

...yeah really bad.  We have both a MIG and TIG welder and just do not fool with these rims anymore.  If there is a slight crack on the sides that does not extend clear-across...you have a chance.  Otherwise, buy a new wheel or pay a welding "hero" $150 to weld-it.  Bro, I am also really cheap, but sometimes you get what you pay for...

Offline FatBiker

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 04:55:58 PM »
It's unanimous, I'm getting a new rim.  Is it all that hard to get one true or should I just buck up and let the shop do it?  I've never done one.  I'm not afraid to build a truing stand either.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 05:57:13 PM »
I've done a few.As a matter of fact,my 11 yr old daughter did the rims on her LEM from a complete disassembly(with some instruction)-but don't let that bother you :D
Seriously,if you're the patient type you can do it.The key is to know which side spokes go where and take measurements with a straightedge across the rim to your sprocket or brake or whatever to get the proper offset before you disassemble.Digital cameras are your friend for the first time as well.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 06:00:08 PM »
Put your rim back on the bike and measure the position from the sides (front rim right?). Loosely tape the spokes where they cross and loosen the spoke nipples. You should be able to wiggle the rim loose without disturbing things too much.Mount the new rim loosely back on the wheel and reinstall on the bike (bike is on a stand of course). Tape a pencil or pen to each side of the fork adjacent the rim (dial indicators are better ) and gradually tighten the spoke nipples (a little antiseize on the threads helps).Try to concentrate on loose spokes initially and remember the position measurements.You should only start to really tighten the nipples  near the end of the process and you are always "pulling the rim" into position from the side opposite you want to move.There is a torque specification for spoke tension,tap the spoke with the the spoke wrench and make sure all the spokes sound the same. It will take a few rides to seat the new rim so keep an eye on things.

Offline G-MONEY

• Expert
  • LET'R BUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 06:11:38 PM »
No its not that difficult. Here is what works for me, remove the tire lay the rim on its side,scince its cracked try to align the crack hold it in place with vise grips. With a straight egde( a piece of steel flat stock from the hardware) lay and

it over the hub make sure it hangs over each side of the rim. Measure the space between the straight edge and the lip of the rim.Write it down.probably put the crack at 12 o'clock take your measurements at 9 and 3 o'clock.

Becuase we are budget minded on this job getting the spokes out are going to be the hardest part.If you can affrod it go buy one of those thick stubby spoke wrenches.Loosen all the nipples and begin removing the spokes make a drawing of which spoke starts first after the valve stem.There will be different lenghts of spokes so include this in your drawing

Replace the spokes on your new wheel start with that index one at the valve core,slowly tighten them by criss crossing as they get snug check your measurement,final tightening should give you the same space at four points 12-6o'clock and 9-3 o'clock.Mount the rim without the tire on the bike,tape a pointer (pencil) to the fork or swing arm spin the rim for final trueing if needed,Tightening the spokes on one side or the other will pull the rim in that direction. SOAK THE NIPPLES FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS they can be very stuborn hope this helps
"Everthing's the same just slightly different"

Offline FatBiker

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 08:30:24 PM »
Excellent advice gents.  Are there many types of rims?  Do I just count the spokes and buy the same diameter?  Mine only crosses two spokes at a time I think.  I dunno, I guess I can go to my local dealer and order one and some spokes. $$$$$$$$$$$!

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 03:58:05 AM »
What you have for a rim determines the different types of spokes you have-lefties and righties,inies and outies etc.What sachs said about taping the spokes together is a good idea-I'd never heard of it-but even if you're buying new it would help you keep straight which go where and you could untape and replace one matching one at a time in your hub.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline FatBiker

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 06:28:25 AM »
What you have for a rim determines the different types of spokes you have-lefties and righties,inies and outies etc.What sachs said about taping the spokes together is a good idea-I'd never heard of it-but even if you're buying new it would help you keep straight which go where and you could untape and replace one matching one at a time in your hub.

Sounds good.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 09:23:01 AM »
Find an NOS rim on Ebay (36 spoke D.I.D.), you'll get it for "peanuts".