Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Go Juice  (Read 6554 times)

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
Go Juice
« on: May 24, 2010, 08:53:34 PM »
What fuel do you guys run in your bikes. I use 100LL Avgas. Any thoughts on Avgas.
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Go Juice
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 09:20:33 PM »
I heard it wasn't good for your bike. And I use the highest octane pump gas.
I'd rather be riding...

Offline westsiderippa

• Expert
  • win on a 2t your a hero, lose just blame the bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 09:20:40 PM »
sonoco 110 leaded, the purple stuff, mixed with rock oil syn2 32:1

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 09:33:08 PM »
Purple hunh? 110 oct. avgas was purple, the stuff I use is blue
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 09:50:42 PM »
I run Avgas at 40:1 with Total R.
Plug runs perfect and even the pipe is grey. :)

Can't beat that smell.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 04:39:39 AM »
I've read both ways on the AV gas. I think the one's who say no, actually haven't used it. Don't know just always seems that way with fuels, but I do know the anti E85 guys don't know crap about it, before spouting out it sucks.  They say how you lose power etc.  They are going by the BTU of each product. But the BTU's just tell at a given amount, which has more power.  Regular gas has more BTU per ounce of fuel than Ethanol, and Ethanol has more BTU per ounce than Methanol.  But Methanol was the chosen fuel for racers for years in drag racing etc.  Why, because it burns super fast. So they would use a ton of fuel comparably, but get more HP because of burning so much.  I'm working on my CR125 as we speak as a switch over.  I believe I can run a higher compression, with E85 and get more HP.  I was all set to do the 144cc conversion, but want to test this first before hand.  I believe I can gain 20% just by running the fuel and higher compression.  As an example, the car guys with turbos have been running this for years.  They can blow a ton of fuel and not worry about detonation, compared to pump gas.  Some high HP cars out there running it. The biggest issue with E85 is the problem it has to attract moisture.  Will have to keep an eye on and not let fuel sit around.
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline KXwestYZ

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 04:40:52 AM »
in UK we only have choice of unleaded or super unleaded.. whats AV gas?

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 05:04:30 AM »
I don't race, so I just use pump gas.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 05:37:02 AM »
Been there , AVgas (aviation gasoline) is not made to make HP it's made to stop planes falling from the sky. When you tune for it unleaded burns much faster and hotter(methanol burns very slow) yielding more HP.

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 05:59:42 AM »
AV gas is made for engines that turn very low RPM (usually under 4000), and operate in a below freezing environment, not ideal for an MX bike.  Also I have no experience with it, but I have heard that E85 is corrosive to engine and carburetor seals - a conversion to materials that will stand up to it could be difficult.  I could be wrong on that one though....

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 06:00:05 AM »
1 gallon of ethanol = 84,400 Btu
1 gallon methanol = 62,800 Btu
1 gallon of gasohol
(10% ethanol, 90% gasoline) = 120,900 Btu
1 gallon of E-85
(85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) = 90,500 Btu
www.miedosoracing.com

Offline admiral

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 06:29:25 AM »
i blend 110 leaded race fuel with pump fuel @ 1 gallon 110 with two gallon 87. that blend runs better, jets easier and more consistant than straight premium from the pump in my area. pump gas just seems to get worse every year.

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 07:45:26 AM »
AV gas is made for engines that turn very low RPM (usually under 4000), and operate in a below freezing environment, not ideal for an MX bike.  Also I have no experience with it, but I have heard that E85 is corrosive to engine and carburetor seals - a conversion to materials that will stand up to it could be difficult.  I could be wrong on that one though....

I'm testing the fuel tank, lines and the carb parts right now. But basically our bikes are made to accept atleast 15% ethanol already.  So I don't think the current stuff and the older stuff can really be compared, same as cars from the 80's.  We now know that most vehicles will not have any failures like you mentioned, for corrosition like many had believed before.  Lot's of misinformation out there on E85.  What i find very funny or interesting. However you wanna say it.  We can run e85 legally in cars all around america.  But it is not permitted in ProAMA racing.  But they allow race gas.  Go figure.
www.miedosoracing.com

Offline G-MONEY

• Expert
  • LET'R BUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 12:31:06 PM »
Another personal preference question, o.k I run a 50/50 mix of VP's C12 and pump gas with a minumum 92 octane (ethanol free) this works out to be around 100 octane. This mix can hang around in the can for a long time with out spoiling.

;)(You can mess around with the ratios depending on how you are going to ride.Supercross, tight woods and higher elivations I run it closer to 98 octane. Motocross,higher compression, hotter days I will run it closer to 104 octane.

The real devil is detination it MUST be avoided because that horrible noise is the top of your piston starting to glow red and we have all seen piston,connecting rods that look like someone took a cutting torch to UGLY VERY VERY UGLY.....My 2 cents :'(
"Everthing's the same just slightly different"

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 02:12:41 PM »
I only run my TM on Avgas because they have a massive port time area at low RPM's and the heads are not suited to our crap fuel.
The compression ratio is also very high as the motor is designed as a race motor.
You end up with a incomplete fuel burn at low rpm's. Motor knocks it's head off. :(
I have heard they run fine in the states because of far better fuels.
There is a mod that I might do to lower the compression ratio from 15.5:1 to 12.9:1 that involves machining the head into a full hemi shape and increasing the cc.
At the moment it just runs far better on Avgas then on pump gas.

The marine industry has had major problems with E85 caused by water ingestion and the fuel will seperate if left for too long.You end up with the ethenol sitting in the bottom of the tank.
Should not be a problem if you keep the fuel fresh.
Also fuel lines and seals can get attacked by the fuel and brake up.
Viton seals are a must.
I recomend to all boat's not to use E85 because of the nature of use. Sitting around for too long.
Run E85 in your bike by all means, just tune it properly and dont let it sit around for too long.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough