Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Slow going on the KX500AF today!  (Read 2764 times)

Offline KXPegger

• Novice
    • View Profile
Slow going on the KX500AF today!
« on: August 09, 2013, 08:54:38 PM »
This wash did have a burned in trail but the last rain took it all out! The 500AF was overkill and I never gave it much more than a 1/4 throttle tip toeing around all the land mines!

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »
"05" RMZ450, "07" RM250. "08" Service Honda KX500AF, "11" KTM450SX-F

Offline Turquine

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 10:36:34 PM »
Ah, I just love your vids, KXpeg! I cannot ride anymore due to an accident some years ago, but if I were able, that bike is the one I'd want. I live in Idaho now, but the Vegas desert in which you ride, reminds me of the deserts around El Paso, Texas and Southern New Mexico, where I grew up and rode. It is visually much prettier where I am now, but as far as dirtbike riding goes, give me the desert any day. To heck with motocross or tight confined forest enduro riding! To me, the desert is where it's at. You can really fly out there in places, or climb gigantic sand dunes or technical rocky hills, all in one ride. Last bike I owned was an '82 Yamaha IT465. I rode with my buddy on an '84 Honda CR 500, in desert that looks so much like where you're riding that it really brings back some of my fondest memories. Wish I'd had that big KX back then as my IT had trouble staying with my Buddy's big CR on the straights. Ha, that KX would have eaten his lunch. Anyhow, keep posting vids like this, even when you're not on the mean green machine, I love 'em!

Offline KXPegger

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 01:13:35 AM »
Ah, I just love your vids, KXpeg! I cannot ride anymore due to an accident some years ago, but if I were able, that bike is the one I'd want. I live in Idaho now, but the Vegas desert in which you ride, reminds me of the deserts around El Paso, Texas and Southern New Mexico, where I grew up and rode. It is visually much prettier where I am now, but as far as dirtbike riding goes, give me the desert any day. To heck with motocross or tight confined forest enduro riding! To me, the desert is where it's at. You can really fly out there in places, or climb gigantic sand dunes or technical rocky hills, all in one ride. Last bike I owned was an '82 Yamaha IT465. I rode with my buddy on an '84 Honda CR 500, in desert that looks so much like where you're riding that it really brings back some of my fondest memories. Wish I'd had that big KX back then as my IT had trouble staying with my Buddy's big CR on the straights. Ha, that KX would have eaten his lunch. Anyhow, keep posting vids like this, even when you're not on the mean green machine, I love 'em!

Turquine thanks!

I know what you mean! No water trucks, groomed track, ambulances or memorizing a track! A surprise around every corner. My last big one was 2 1/2 years ago. Four broken ribs, collapsed punctured lung, separated shoulder and I still can't feel anything on my right outer thigh. That was about a 60 mph get off at a small town outside of Vegas called Laughlin. Todays ride was very slow as we had a few different skill levels riding with us and the trail was gone because of the last rain we had. Plan on doing some high speed stuff tomorrow on the desert floor. My KX is geared 14/47 so it's capable of 100 plus and really doesn't like slow.! I'll post some more vids for you hopefully tomorrow!

Pete
"05" RMZ450, "07" RM250. "08" Service Honda KX500AF, "11" KTM450SX-F

Offline Turquine

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 10:01:40 PM »
Wow, that was a bad one. My accident resulted in a punctured lung too. Oddly enough though, it wasn't from riding but from an accidental gunshot which left me paralyzed from the chest down. Worst accident I ever had was while riding an old Kawasaki F7 175. Wasn't a good handling machine to begin with but this one had a bent frame, and worn out suspension that was more like pogo sticks. Front wheel got deflected by a rock at about 45 mph, and I broke my wrist. I guess I was pretty lucky on dirtbikes, looking back.

Anyhow, I look forward to seeing some fast videos on the mighty KX, see it flex it's muscle a bit, but be careful. My friend I mentioned in my previous post who had the '84 Honda CR 500 up-geared for the desert too. I didn't up-gear my IT 465 because of the gear spacing. Unlike it's YZ 465 counterpart, there was a big jump from third to fourth and I feared it would cause too much of a drop in RPMs which would hurt my acceleration. Had it had the YZ's close ratio gearbox, I'd not have hesitated to up-gear it, as it easily had the power to pull it. I did however, ride my friend's CR 500 many times after the gear up, and I know what those big old 500s can do. They can really bite you if you're not careful. His cornered great, but at high speeds, the headshake was terrifying. I don't think the KX you have, which I believe is in the 450 4stroke frame, should have that problem though, since I know Kawasaki uses the 450 in desert races currently. Even so, be careful. I enjoy the slower vids too. I did a lot of plunking around on that IT. It was very good at that.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 02:23:03 AM »
Sweet,sounds growly too 8) Now whack that puppy to the stop and post the vid. :o  ;)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.