Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 2012 KTM 250SX Issues  (Read 7361 times)

Offline dallas.koncir

• View Profile
2012 KTM 250SX Issues
« on: July 09, 2013, 03:23:15 AM »
I have a 2012 250SX and am having some issues with the top end. Basically they have only been lasting me 5 hours or so. I am on my 4th top end now. After the 2nd time it went, I switched to the 300 kit but still getting the same results. I have noticed that pretty much every time I change my air filter I have a noticeable amount of dirt in the air box. The main tracks I ride on are sand but I take 4 air filters to the track with me and change after almost every moto, which I have never had to do on any other bike (I rode CRF450s for about 4 years before I switched). I even switched to a Loudmouth air intake but still get dirt in the air box. I love the bike but the lack of reliability has me at the end of the line with it. I shouldn't have had to spend the amount of money that I have on this bike for the amount of riding I have done.

Has anyone else had any issues like this?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline Dirt Addict

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
2012 KTM 250SX Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 04:49:43 AM »
HHHmmmm, I think I know what it is, but you'll have to send it to me to be sure. I'll let you know how it works out....

sorry, just joking. Check your airbox seals and carb to boot alignment.

Offline team499

• View Profile
2012 KTM 250SX Issues
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 05:17:06 AM »
Sounds like your not getting the filter cage clipped in all the way to me. Sometimes i have to kinda rock it back and forth left to right to get it to sit down in there all the way. Something else is i switched to DT1 filters and i really like how they work versus the stock twin air. Make sure you take your fingers and run them all the way around where the filter seals against boot.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
2012 KTM 250SX Issues
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 09:07:24 AM »
I have a 2012 250SX and am having some issues with the top end. Basically they have only been lasting me 5 hours or so. I am on my 4th top end now. After the 2nd time it went, I switched to the 300 kit but still getting the same results. I have noticed that pretty much every time I change my air filter I have a noticeable amount of dirt in the air box. The main tracks I ride on are sand but I take 4 air filters to the track with me and change after almost every moto, which I have never had to do on any other bike (I rode CRF450s for about 4 years before I switched). I even switched to a Loudmouth air intake but still get dirt in the air box. I love the bike but the lack of reliability has me at the end of the line with it. I shouldn't have had to spend the amount of money that I have on this bike for the amount of riding I have done.

Has anyone else had any issues like this?

First off, welcoem to the forum! Secondly, I completely understand how frsutrated you must be and you're completely right, this is ridiculous, but stick with the smart dudes on here, me not included, and it'll get fixed.

What was the reason for swapping out a piston at 5 hours? You should get ten times that out of a well tuned 250. Have you got pictures of the old pistons? Also if you could post up a picture of your sparkplug's action end, that would speed the process too. AS for the dirt in the airboot, is the 2012 250sx equipped with the no tools air box cover? Pretty sure it was introduced in 2011. Make sure that is properly clipped in because I've found that mine (2013 250SX) can look and feel like its clipped in but the bottom clip is off. Also, have you changed the jetting? Have you noticed any odd noises coming from the motor?

Again, bear with it and it'll get solved one way or another. The air boot problem and piston problem are possibly two separate problems.

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
2012 KTM 250SX Issues
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:32:57 AM »
If there's dirt on the inside of the filter then thats definitely your problem and you'll keep chewing through top ends untill you find where it's coming from.
As has been mentioned make sure you run your finger around the edge of the filter to make sure it's seated right, i'm guessing thats your problem. Also check where the boot meets the air box and silicone it to make sure.

Offline dallas.koncir

• View Profile
2012 KTM 250SX Issues
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 02:31:38 PM »
If there's dirt on the inside of the filter then thats definitely your problem and you'll keep chewing through top ends untill you find where it's coming from.
As has been mentioned make sure you run your finger around the edge of the filter to make sure it's seated right, i'm guessing thats your problem. Also check where the boot meets the air box and silicone it to make sure.

I have a Loudmouth intake, it is pretty hard to mess up installing those air filters. When I did use the stock cage, I only had a problem once with the filter not being seated right, after that I triple checked every time I changed filters.

First off, welcoem to the forum! Secondly, I completely understand how frsutrated you must be and you're completely right, this is ridiculous, but stick with the smart dudes on here, me not included, and it'll get fixed.

What was the reason for swapping out a piston at 5 hours? You should get ten times that out of a well tuned 250. Have you got pictures of the old pistons? Also if you could post up a picture of your sparkplug's action end, that would speed the process too. AS for the dirt in the airboot, is the 2012 250sx equipped with the no tools air box cover? Pretty sure it was introduced in 2011. Make sure that is properly clipped in because I've found that mine (2013 250SX) can look and feel like its clipped in but the bottom clip is off. Also, have you changed the jetting? Have you noticed any odd noises coming from the motor?

Again, bear with it and it'll get solved one way or another. The air boot problem and piston problem are possibly two separate problems.

Thanks, at 5 hours I had no compression and the bike wouldn't even start, so I did the top end. I could get pictures of my old pistons I have one from the 250 and one from the 300 kit. I haven't changed the jetting and I haven't noticed any odd noises from the motor.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
2012 KTM 250SX Issues
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 03:31:27 PM »
I always grease the surface where the filter contacts the airbox. If something isn't seating correctly you'll see it right away on the contact surface.

Offline mj4trax

• Junior
  • more than 2 strokes is playing with yourself
    • View Profile
2012 KTM 250SX Issues
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 04:15:48 PM »
wear after 5 hours sounds crazy...   

Not to insult, but are you oiling your air filters?  (I have a couple buddy's who didn't realize this was necessary...  I don't recommend buying their used stuff).  If so, what oil are you using and are you using enough?

2nd, what kind of oil are you running in your fuel....  and at what ratio?

Pictures of the worn out parts will help a lot too, but I'm not the first to point that out.   
2003 RM250
2004 RM250
2001 yz125
1986 trx310R
1989 trx250R

Offline dallas.koncir

• View Profile
2012 KTM 250SX Issues
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 05:14:15 PM »
I am oiling my filters, I have been using No Toil and I would say that I use enough. I use Amsoil synthetic 2 stroke oil in my fuel and mix at 60:1.

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
2012 KTM 250SX Issues
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 06:50:24 PM »
The dirt you say is on the carby side of the filter is definitely whats causing your issues, i have absolutely no doubt of that. You just need to find out where its coming from.

Offline rlaj1004

• View Profile
2012 KTM 250SX Issues
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 07:46:33 PM »
That's odd, you are the 2nd person with a 2012 250 that I have heard getting dirt in the carb. My son has had that issue, not bad enough to eat up his piston though.  I have an 09 250 now a 300 and you could eat off the inside of the filter. I would check the bend on the arm that holds the filter in. Mine is in contact with the filter with 6 plus inches to go to lock it down. My sons was about half that. I had him rebend it and he is using grease on the edge.

Offline dallas.koncir

• View Profile

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
2012 KTM 250SX Issues
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 11:46:12 AM »
The dirt you say is on the carby side of the filter is definitely whats causing your issues, i have absolutely no doubt of that. You just need to find out where its coming from.

x2 If theres dirt on the carby side, thats your issue. I thought you mean't on the air filter side, my bad. After looking at those pics, definitely looks like debris to me. Which is sort of good, cos it means you don't have two separate issues. Try using the stock KTM intake. Never heard of loudmouth though. Spark plug looks ok, hard to see.

You're sure theres no damage to the exposed area of the airboot? If you're oiling and properly sealing your filters, you shouldn't be getting debris. Are all the screws on the carby still in there? Don't laugh, I lost my air screw on my old honda CR125. I was wondering why its idle was all weird :P

I am oiling my filters, I have been using No Toil and I would say that I use enough. I use Amsoil synthetic 2 stroke oil in my fuel and mix at 60:1.

60:1 is KTMs recommended mix, nothing wrong there.

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
2012 KTM 250SX Issues
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 01:05:30 PM »
KTM air filters are absolute PITA's to get on, and have many times give me a false sense that it's seated properly when it's not, and the standard twin air filters last about three washes before they loose their shape and strength and turn into limp bits of foam.
I've just invested in some Funnel web filters and hopefully they do a better job......any way enough about me, you can try a new filter, and check the seal between the carb boot and the air box, if you ride in deep or fine sand I would also recommend a filter sock (pantyhose are cheap and easy).
That first piston looks like the skirt is about to drop off, your cylinder could be badly worn.

Offline WINDSURF

• View Profile
2012 KTM 250SX Issues
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 02:52:58 PM »
OREGONMOTORCYCLERENTAL.COM
Using the loudmouth air intake system eliminates the intake problems on the questionable KTM filter seating correctly.I run the Loudmouth system on all my rental machines here in the northwest.After ruining several engines in dusty conditions,I found even if the filter is seated correctly,the rim grease dries out quickly,cracking,and allows dust particles to enter the intake.BELIEVE ME,the new filter clamp does the job.I also run PC filterskins to lengthen the life of the $30 dollar filter.I find no loss of power,and no noticeable increase either.you can find more info at oregonmotorcyclerental.com