Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Robby Marshal's Lap Times  (Read 11779 times)

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
Charles - you have done a herculean sales job -- going toe to toe against the four stroke oligarchy.  An amazingly heavy lift. Congrats on the success to date and best wishes for the news to come. KtmTalk and Vital both have lots of posting against RM82's (and his bike's) accomplishments. Better publicity I would think is tough to come by.

Warms my heart.

Thanks!

We have some great low double digit riders asking to ride.

Which just goes to show what a great job you guys have done in a short period of time.Good stuff Charles and crew. 8)

It also makes you wonder how many riders are now looking at a 250 2t as a viable option due in large part to the TSM effort.
The next couple months should be very interesting.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline ktm150rippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
Horse power! Mid pack start against a bunch of factory fuel injected foopers is pretty damn good!

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
Robby Marshal's Lap Times
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2013, 03:19:19 PM »
Ok, I just checked the donation link.

ONLY $262 so far?   :o

C'Mon guys, put your dollars where you mouth is. That barely put gas in the bikes for Charles! Do you folks want to see these bikes do some serious four stroke damage or not?

Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
Robby Marshal''s Lap Times
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2013, 03:20:13 PM »
Charles,

I know you have better things to do but I'd be VERY interested in your preparations for this endevour. I noticed you tore the bikes down to the frames and had them recoated. Was there a specific reason for that (gusseting, xray etc) or did you just want a different color. I wouldn't want to get any trade secrets for free but some of the changes - especially to the KTM's would do wonders for your fans. It would suffice it to say "send the head to Cycle Playground because they proved their worth" or "We decided on Talon hubs because not only did thy make the bike look sick and were free but actually shaved a couple ounces off". It would also be good to hear the stories of licensing and entries to the series. Most non-Pro riders don't know the half of it!

Maybe an interview of YOU, by one of US. Now that would be cool!

I have no problem with that and I would love to share details about the entire effort with you guys. It's tough doing everything by myself and time is hard to come by right now. Hopefully I can get something up in the off week after high point this weekend, between testing/tuning sessions.
A few quick answers:

We had the frames Powder coated, and a little foam fill for damping. Swapped the metal T coolant fitting with a single piece silicone unit. (The stock coolant T is the ONLY part I didn't like on the KTM's). It just looked like it belongs in plumbing section at Lowe's, 3 piece threaded pipe and T fitting. I'm much more comfortable with the single silicone T.

Cycle Playground does have a great reputation with KTM's, we have been dealing with them for a while. Having them help wrench at the races is a huge added bonus.
For the motors we went with a broad powerband, built for reliability. (There is still plenty of power to squeeze out if we wanted/needed it.) Doesn't look like we do ;)
Case clean up, matching, intake/exhaust porting, altered port timing and a re-cut bowl is about as far as the motor work has gone. The PWK has a 37x39 oval bore.
All bikes are built the same, except Robby's has the Factory WP A kit. The rest have some goodies inside but not like the 82.

The wheels are for looks, but also much stronger than the stockers. (And they weren't free) :)

We are using the DT1 aluminum filter cages, which we HIGHLY recommend for the KTM owners. They seal much better and offer great piece of mind. I know I have read some issues with the KTM stock plastic design sucking dirt if not installed correctly.  Feel free to ask anything you would like to know and I'll answer as I can.

I finished freshening them up for High Point last night, heading out to do some testing/tuning/filming with Robert Kraft here in a bit. We'll have some GoPro/Video and pics coming.

Everyone that has twisted the grip on these bikes gives the same reaction.. Fast and Fun. That's what it's all about right? :)

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
Robby Marshal''''s Lap Times
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2013, 03:23:13 PM »
Ok, I just checked the donation link.

ONLY $262 so far?   :o

C'Mon guys, put your dollars where you mouth is. That barely put gas in the bikes for Charles! Do you folks want to see these bikes do some serious four stroke damage or not?

I haven't really shared the Fund Razr link like I did for Renner's effort, I'm not the kind of guy that likes asking for handouts. But trust me, they are appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Offline msmola2002

• Expert
    • View Profile
Robby Marshal''''''''s Lap Times
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2013, 06:06:16 PM »
High Point

Robert Kraft,
68th of 78 that set a time. Pulled a 19th in LCQ.

Sottile 36th in qual but on a honda 450?

a few other 2 strokes there, but none that made the main show
Sylvain LeGad 52nd yz
nathan laporte 58th, sx
lewis stein 72nd sx
zac maley 76th yz

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
Robby Marshal''''''''''''''''s Lap Times
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2013, 07:28:31 PM »
thanks for the update msmola.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Robby Marshal''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''s Lap Times
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2013, 03:00:32 PM »
D'oh,that's too bad :( Good try anyway guys.Any more details?
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline KDXGarage

• Novice
    • View Profile
THANK YOU for the info!

Offline mxracer239

• Novice
    • View Profile

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
Robby Marshal's Lap Times
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2013, 09:40:24 PM »
stottile not my favorite rippa.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Robby Marshal''s Lap Times
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2013, 10:02:11 PM »
Sottile is out, racing his 450. His father told me he wasn't riding for us.

Would have been nice if he told you that before you had graphics printed with his name/number for Muddy Creek. Oh well, move on and move forward! That just meas there is a spot open for a fast guy that wants to ride for team TSM!
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
Robby Marshal''''s Lap Times
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2013, 10:07:59 PM »
For sure, we have no shortage of riders wanting in. Working out details now for Budds!

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
Robby Marshal''''''''s Lap Times
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2013, 10:50:58 PM »
Sottile is out, racing his 450. His father told me he wasn't riding for us.

Offline ktm150rippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
Robby Marshal''''''''''''''''s Lap Times
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 12:09:00 AM »
For sure, we have no shortage of riders wanting in. Working out details now for Budds!

Would releasing a list of names be possible? Fwiw, I was at river valley mx in Boyd, TX last weekend and Tommy Hahn was there railing on a KX250...... Just sayin lol