Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: A diesel question  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
A diesel question
« on: May 31, 2013, 07:05:19 AM »
First off I apologize for posting a question that is four stroke based but I've come to rely on this forum and its members.

OK the situation: The old fella bought a 2007 mitsubishi triton 4x2 ute recently. The problem: When its cold, its throttle will sometimes stick. For example, ignition on, glow plugs warm up turn her on take off and when you disengage the clutch to drop it into second, the revs will either hover or actually rise after the clutch goes in. Its like I don't take my foot off the accelerator properly but I've made absolute certain that it is fully off several times and it still does it. On a side note, it only seems to do it during the turbo range (Somewhere above 2,000)

Explained this to the mechanic at the place we bought it when it went in for its service and he claimed that it was and I quote: A common problem with diesels. I've not been driving long but I've driven an ancient ****ty hilux, a modern SR hilux, a modern SR5 hilux, a nissan navara STR-I and more tractors than I can remember and I've never experienced or heard of such a problem before now. I'm concerned that, because the vehicle is still under warranty, hes bull****ting his companies way out of having to replace some injectors for nothing or something I really know nothing about it.

So, whats the verdict? Is this in fact a harmless issue and I don't have to make a facebook page about Peter Stewert fords fraud? Or is this actually an issue?

I'd like to point out that I'm not leaning eitehr way, I know sod all about motors and even less about diesel motors but I want ot make sure. Thanks a bunch for any help anyone can provide.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
A diesel question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 03:32:32 PM »
Never had a diesel do this (Ford/Navistar, Dodge/Cummins,MB,VW). Not familiar with your particular vehicle but I assume it has electronic diesel injection (high pressure electric fuel pump, computer, position sensors and piezo injectors). As this stuff can get VERY expensive VERY quickly I would make sure the vendor honors their warranty. I'm also not sure if your system has a TPS (throttle position sensor) but that's where I would start "sniffing"  around first.

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
A diesel question
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 04:55:52 PM »
Yeah, I'd look into the TPS like Sachs said. My car (not a diesel) was doing the same thing and it is in fact the TPS.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
A diesel question
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 12:46:30 AM »
Thanks everyone and thanks ford for the link. I don't trust anyone who makes more than I do, particularly not a car dealership. If I find out hes been taking the piss, I'll tear shreds out of him.

Thanks agian.