Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: bike running rich  (Read 22508 times)

Offline kawi250

• Junior
    • View Profile
bike running rich
« on: May 06, 2010, 04:05:48 PM »
OK so here's another question for those brave enough to attempt to answer. My bike was idleing to low and would die in about a minute but rides fine and if you give it gas while idleing it wont die. I switched the plug today and it idles a lot better and sounds better too. The old plug was black and even had some almost liquid exhaust on it, to lean the Carb would I just back the air screw out? Going slowly and checking how it runs? Or should I keep it a little rich and just change the plug more? Thanks for the help

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Re: bike running rich
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 04:31:15 PM »
Take it for a ride to warm it up then set your idle to about 1200 rpm with the idle screw then adjust your air screw in and out until you get the highest rpm.Once there,ck your setting.If you're under a 1/2 turn out,you need to go up on your pilot(richer).If you're over 1 1/2 turns out,you need to go down on your pilot(leaner).Once done,set your idle back down.If you can idle for a minute you have your idle turned too high.Properly set,and for best response,a 2t mx should idle for 5-6 seconds before it quits.If you let it idle for a minute,even if it's lean,the plug will be black.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 04:34:44 PM by ford832 »
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline G-MONEY

• Expert
  • LET'R BUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 11:04:05 AM »
Sounds like your air filter maybe dirty or resticted in some fashion.When the engine can't get enough air the vacuum or negative pressure is increased which draws more fuel through the main jet.hence the rich running.Give it a good cleaning and let us know what you get.
"Everthing's the same just slightly different"

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 02:56:25 PM »
Most bikes don't idle on the main ;)

Offline RideRedMx2

• Expert
  • HRC FACTORY RACING
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000301824082&ref=profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 03:39:38 PM »
Most bikes get richer when the weather gets hotter..........just sayin :-X

Honda CR-250R #2.....Vet Class
CycleNation Powersports...Cycle Center Of Denton...HRC Factory Racing

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 04:51:27 PM »
How old is your bike? Might be time for a new float needle and seat assy..

Offline kawi250

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 08:49:22 PM »
Alright I actually didn't know that a 2t idleing correctly only idled for 5 to 6 seconds before dying, and the point about not idling in the main goes along with that. I changed the plug and it ran and sounded a lot better. As for the air filter it was cleaned maybe 3 hours ago and still looks fine. I think I was being paranoid about it running rich. It idles for a short period of time without dying and no gas but sounds good with the new plug I think I was just being over concerned

Offline Chokey

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 07:08:19 AM »
Alright I actually didn't know that a 2t idleing correctly only idled for 5 to 6 seconds before dying, 
That's nothing more than a myth perpetuated on sites such as this by people that are too lazy or incapable of jetting their bikes correctly. A properly jetted two-stroke will idle indefinitely with no loading up or plug fouling.

Offline kawi250

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 12:32:51 PM »
it does last for much longer now that i have changed the plug and i will check to see if it continues to run good or becomes like it was before. if it does i'll just try the air and fuel screws

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 03:25:30 PM »
Alright I actually didn't know that a 2t idleing correctly only idled for 5 to 6 seconds before dying,  
That's nothing more than a myth perpetuated on sites such as this by people that are too lazy or incapable of jetting their bikes correctly. A properly jetted two-stroke will idle indefinitely with no loading up or plug fouling.

Imagine my surprise to find I'm too incapable and lazy to jet my own bike.As always,however,I'm willing to learn.My record isn't the best,my last 4 2t bikes having fouled exactly 2 plugs altogether.One was a dud(lasted 30 sec)and the other was from following a friends young fella on his 50 through the woods on a stinking hot day(no,I wasn't jetted for that)
Interestingly enough,my 2t lawn boy mower will happily idle all day long while I,not so happily,push it around.I always thought it magic somehow.
It has also never really occurred to me that the yz and lawn boy have the same engine design and were designed to operate within the exact same parameters.I guess a 2t is a 2t regardless of anything else.
Oh well,that's just more work for me I guess.Time to go rip the carb off and change to a leaner pilot and higher idle setting.I know I'll lose some response but it will be worth it to have my improperly set up bike idle all day long-as it no doubt should-because that's what the engineers designed it for.Many thanks.
Before I do though,I must go hit some other sites to see what mechanical bits of info I can find.It will likely serve me well at work tomorrow.Thanks again.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 03:27:48 PM by ford832 »

Offline Chokey

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 04:39:48 PM »
You can be as sarcastic as you want. That doesn't change the fact that there is absolutely no reason why a two-stroke should not be able to sustain an idle.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 05:00:15 PM »
You can be as sarcastic as you want. That doesn't change the fact that there is absolutely no reason why a two-stroke should not be able to sustain an idle.

Thanks,I believe I will be  :D

What I initially said was..... "Properly set,and for best response,"A 2T MX SHOULD IDLE FOR 5-6 SECONDS BEFORE IT QUITS"
What this means then,is that,when properly set,s 2t mx should idle for 5-6 seconds before it quits.
Nowhere did I say a 2t cannot be made to idle.If,for some reason,you need yours to do so,by all means-do it-it's easy enough.But,well,see above.
My original read on Kawi250's original post was that there is likely nothing wrong with his bike at all-other than perhaps a slightly high idle-or a minor air screw adjustment.I tried to convey the proper way,as best I know,how to properly set it.And no,I don't go jerking around on message boards trying to find mechanical drivel.Rightly or wrongly,this is what I do from my experience-it works for me,and likely will for him.
I am however,somewhat surprised that you call me lazy and incapable and then expect some sort of "touchy-feely" response.
I've always been more than willing to be proven wrong as it's the best way to learn anything in detail.If you feel so inclined,without dredging up internet crap like "this guy says this or that guy says that"by all means,go ahead.I'm listening.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 05:11:31 PM »
I always set my bike up so they don't idle. Nothing worse then crashing your brains out and having your bike idling merrily away in a mudhole somewhere.

Offline graham472

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 06:17:27 PM »
Why would you want to idle your bike for a minute anyway?

Offline Chokey

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 06:47:55 PM »

Thanks,I believe I will be  :D

What I initially said was..... "Properly set,and for best response,"A 2T MX SHOULD IDLE FOR 5-6 SECONDS BEFORE IT QUITS"
What this means then,is that,when properly set,s 2t mx should idle for 5-6 seconds before it quits.
Nowhere did I say a 2t cannot be made to idle.If,for some reason,you need yours to do so,by all means-do it-it's easy enough.But,well,see above.
My original read on Kawi250's original post was that there is likely nothing wrong with his bike at all-other than perhaps a slightly high idle-or a minor air screw adjustment.I tried to convey the proper way,as best I know,how to properly set it.And no,I don't go jerking around on message boards trying to find mechanical drivel.Rightly or wrongly,this is what I do from my experience-it works for me,and likely will for him.
I am however,somewhat surprised that you call me lazy and incapable and then expect some sort of "touchy-feely" response.
I've always been more than willing to be proven wrong as it's the best way to learn anything in detail.If you feel so inclined,without dredging up internet crap like "this guy says this or that guy says that"by all means,go ahead.I'm listening.
I hate to break the news to you, but not everything is directed at you personally. Nowhere in my posts did I directly implicate you, it was stated in the most general of terms. If you choose to not have your bike idle that is your perogative, and you aren't alone. But don't tell people that a two-stroke shouldn't or can't sustain an idle as if it were the gospel, because it just ain't so. That's no different than telling people that plug fouling is caused by too much oil in the mix, or calling Wiseco's "Seizcos". Misinformation such as that perpetuates myths and stereotypes that have no merits or basis in facts.

I am sorry if you took personal offense at my post, it was not intended as such, nor was it targeted directly at you personally. But I stand by what I said. There is absolutely no reason why a two-stroke can not or should not be able to sustain an idle. The idea that a two-stroke "is not supposed to idle" (why in the world do they have an idle circuit then?) is nothing more than misinformation that I see repeated time and time again on discussion boards, and I try to correct it when I can. After all, isn't giving out factually correct information supposed to be the point of this board?