Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 2 stroke project (Update 20/05)  (Read 3562 times)

Offline SpeckleZz

• View Profile
2 stroke project (Update 20/05)
« on: May 06, 2013, 05:56:45 PM »
Introduction: Hello there, this is my first post of many on this forum. I'm a graphics design student from the UK with a huge love for 2 strokes and love riding them, I love beating 4 strokes on my KTM 150 be it 250, 350 or 450, just goes to show they've still got it.

Why I'm here: Enough chit chat time to talk about this project as I said I'm a graphics designer and I'm coming up to my final project in college. We can do what ever we want to do and my first thought was instantly 2 strokes. one of the objectives of my final project is to have some sort of client, who would review my work and say what they like and what needs changing on what I'm producing. I really wanted this to be a community project so I thought why not let die hard 2 stroke fans be my clients. you can get involved and decide what you like and dislike about what i'm producing, I want a project that we're all going to like at the end of the day and I'll be posting what i'm producing on here.

The plan: make a poster, magazine ad and stickers for KTM (I had to do it for a single brand) trying get there 2 stroke range back on the radar of advertising and get people to purchase there 2 stroke range, they produce ads for there 4 strokes so we're about to change that.

Conclusion: So basically that's all of it. I would appreciate if people would participate and take this seriously as I think it's going to be fun if everyone gets involved. sorry if i'm rambling on making no sense. looking forward to the weeks ahead.

UPDATE It's been a while since I wrote on here but i've been busy with this project, plus my 2013 ktm 150 blew up for the second time in 3 weeks so that's kept me pretty stressed, but anyway let me tell you what I have been up to.

Week 1 so basically week 1 I had a look at a few mx ads for inspiration after getting a few ideas I moved away from mx ads and started just looking at random advertisments and boy did I find some good ones.

Week 2 more research, but I really started to find an idea that stood out, while searching for advertisements I came across this http://thaiads.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/benznk.jpg this really got me thinking of like a "don't judge a book by it's cover" sort of style, two strokes are often taken for granted on there ability and this ad gave me an idea of saying "it may look harmless but it can do damage" obviously a crocodile doesn't look harmless so I took it a bit smaller. I started researching insects, while researching insects I came across the scorpion and thought "this is perfect" looking at a scorpion some are tiny and look nowhere near harmless but carry a massive sting I thought this would be great to simulate what a 2 stroke is like. So basically long story short I've thought outside the box and avoided mx all together and tried something different.

sounds very confusing but let me know what you think, remember this is a community project so if you don't like it I won't do it I have many other ideas this was just a popular idea and my teachers liked it a lot, but I wanted to check with you guys first to see what you think. let me know.

thanks for reading

SpeckleZz
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline streaks383

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 12:35:46 AM »
Two Strokes appeal to some people and not to others.  They appeal to me because:
1. Significantly lighter than 4 strokes
2. In my opinion more fun to ride
3. produce 10 more horsepower per quarter liter
4. 1/10th the moving parts
5. less expensive to purchase and maintain
6. anyone with an owners manual and $200 USD in hand tools can repair virtually anything that needs it
7. I prefer using the rear wheel to make my direction changes
8. I love the smell of pre-mix
9. The sound waves do not travel as far
10. They make jumping easier

Good luck with your project!

Offline gpnewhouse7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 11:43:13 AM »
Why not just have something like ?Go buy a CRF450! Because our SX250 doesn't need advertising.?
I think that's what KTM thinks anyway.

Offline SpeckleZz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 01:30:55 PM »
Thanks for that streaks, some more questions might be up soon.

Any more benefits to a 2 stroke compared to a 4 stroke if anyones got some will be great.

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 04:08:34 PM »
I think the reason they are cheaper to wrench on is also that most people with common sense can do it in their own garage instead of sending it out. Another reason why I personally like them is because not only do they make great bike for riding, but they make getting into the mechanics of a bike easier to learn. For people who are just starting out in bikes, they make learning easy. Top end rebuilds and such are much easier on a two stroke and much less intimidating when your not dealing with 10x more parts. Also good for the fact that they make maintenance easy because if you skip a trans fluid change, or miss cleaning the air filter once or twice, the engine wont be compromised. When I was a kid I learned the basis of engine mechanics on my PW80.

Offline Smithdad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 04:34:15 PM »
One of the reasons we went back to 2 strokes (other then the obvious cost reason) is that it takes more skill and technique to race a 2 stroke great. To be successful you have to master all of the controls not just the throttle. 4 strokes tend to lead to a more lazy rider in that proper technique is a little more forgiving in my opinion.

Also agree with cnrcpla in that 2 strokes are easier for the basic motodad to wrench on.

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 12:47:25 AM »
Thanks for that streaks, some more questions might be up soon.

Any more benefits to a 2 stroke compared to a 4 stroke if anyones got some will be great.

Chicks like 2 strokes  ;)  2 stroke riders are better looking, Riding a two stroke decreases the risk of heart disease and lung cancer,

Offline vetman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 10:04:30 PM »
Why not go with the kiss principle .The two stroke is simple yet uber effective ,why spend thousands on mods on a 4banger to catch up to a standard 2t,maintainace a 10 year old can complete,light,power to weight ,cheaper to manufacture,a symbol of mx for decades,come back to the true roots of mx and offroad,
just a few thoughts from the top of my head take one and run with it good luck be great to see how you go.

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 12:15:30 AM »
they make you look good naked...hands down.

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 12:40:54 AM »
Just summarize it to this: It takes a four stroke 2x the engine to accomplish what a 2t does in half. Thus, the absurd handicap we are forced to race in. 

Though I'm starting to like some of these other answers

Offline SpeckleZz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 09:26:34 PM »
Thanks for all the comments, I've updated the thread to let you know what I've been up to. check it out up top and give me some feedback on what you think.

The chicks dig 2 stroke thing is a kind of a good idea, I've already got some ideas floating up in my head :D

Offline streaks383

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 06:42:51 PM »
If you are going that route, try researching the Peregrine Falcon.  It is the fastest bird of prey (actually fastest animal) on earth.  It was endangered but is making a comeback, like the 2 stroke. Most people think birds of prey are pretty cool, however insects tend to gross people out me included.  My wife is in charge of household spider removal duties. 

Offline SpeckleZz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 06:57:44 PM »
If you are going that route, try researching the Peregrine Falcon.  It is the fastest bird of prey (actually fastest animal) on earth.  It was endangered but is making a comeback, like the 2 stroke. Most people think birds of prey are pretty cool, however insects tend to gross people out me included.  My wife is in charge of household spider removal duties.

Thanks for the suggestion and it has a nice back story by them making a comeback, failed to mention that the animal i'm doing will be mechanical, I think a falcon won't be as hard to make using parts as the scorpion was.