Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: which year onward CR125 is worth getting?  (Read 5768 times)

Offline rookie

• Expert
    • View Profile
which year onward CR125 is worth getting?
« on: April 21, 2010, 07:31:31 AM »
i think i read somewhere from 2003 onward??

Offline MonsterYZ5

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: which year onward CR125 is worth getting?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 07:57:49 AM »
I had an 02 and it was a pretty good bike, but the best were the 05-07s as far as the engines go.
Josh: #5 2009 Yamaha YZ250

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 08:21:03 AM »
02-07 have the same frame and most everything. The 05-07 has some motor changes. The case on an 04, not sure what other 02-04 have a wing over the crank that seriously hurts the power.  I have an 06 but am going with a 144cc kit. The stock piston on my 06 does not have a port in the back of the piston. I personally believe that was another error for Honda.  If you get one and rebuild it, I recommend sending it off to Eric Gorr or someone to port it, if not big bore it. Again, I'd recommend the rear of the piston have a port like older models. I believe that is taking power away as well.  The 02-04 I can do intake valve work to make it leaps and bounds better as well. That is with or without a Vforce intake. JMHO on everything
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline metal_miracle

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 11:22:15 AM »
some used stock kx125 2003 pipe on a cr125 02-03  to gain lowend on those years

some used older cylinders on the 02 models to gain power

the 04 is a odd ball its the only year whit electric power valve

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 12:44:47 PM »
some used stock kx125 2003 pipe on a cr125 02-03  to gain lowend on those years

some used older cylinders on the 02 models to gain power

the 04 is a odd ball its the only year whit electric power valve

By the way, do not get a SST pipe. Sucks.
www.miedosoracing.com

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 05:26:58 PM »
Not to change the subject about the CR-125,but I've also heard from other 125 owners who have tried the SST pipe that they did'nt think much of their SST pipe & I was just wondering if its a problem on the 125 2t's or on all of the bikes in general?I run a Fatty on my 300xc & it seems to do a little better than the stock pipe plus it's a little bit thicker guage steel over the stock pipe.

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 08:58:49 AM »
Not to change the subject about the CR-125,but I've also heard from other 125 owners who have tried the SST pipe that they did'nt think much of their SST pipe & I was just wondering if its a problem on the 125 2t's or on all of the bikes in general?I run a Fatty on my 300xc & it seems to do a little better than the stock pipe plus it's a little bit thicker guage steel over the stock pipe.

I had one on one of the many 04 CR250's and it sucked as well. But maybe it's just me. I don't like nothing but top end. It makes it hard to ride.  My fatty's I've had very good luck and didn't notice any lack of top end. Just had more bottom than the SST>
www.miedosoracing.com

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 11:31:29 AM »
Why a damn CR 125? Honda has nothing to do with 2 stroke anymore. Put your money on a Yami, Ktm or TM. ???
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline Jontey

• Novice
  • KX250 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 12:10:26 PM »
Aslong as there are parts available i would go with a honda 125.
Sand tracks+2 Stroke Bike=WIN!

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 01:08:53 PM »
Aslong as there are parts available i would go with a honda 125.

Any valuable reasons to buy an old CR125 which is nothing special but a dinausor for them??? So many better manufacturers out there with the same price tag..which still sell or r&d the twice stroke!
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 04:25:28 PM »
I would imagine YZ parts would be much easier to find, considering they still manufacture the same bike they did five years ago.  You might run into the infamous seven-year barrier, where a manufacturer refuses to believe that any of their engineering has survived in working order, and parts availability starts to fall sharply.  I should say, though, KTM's reputation is the worst of them all in this regard.  If I were shopping for a modern (21st century) 125 two-stroke, I would start with TM or Husky, and maybe go with a YZ depending on whether the European machines are hard to come by in my area at the time, or prohibitively expensive, as well as parts availability, etc.  I'd do motocross in a Cadillac Coupe DeVille before buying a Honda - but that's just my little boycott.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 04:31:51 PM by JETZcorp »

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 10:49:29 PM »
2005 and above, but I own a 125, they are anemic, invest your money in a TM, Husky, GASGAS(I love these bikes) or ktm
I'd rather be riding...

Offline rookie

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 12:53:40 AM »
thanks guys.

looks like i need some time to think it over.

:D

Offline wexy21

• Junior
  • 2nd place is 1st loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 08:08:29 PM »
You have to remember.....it's a 125.  It's not going to bark like a 250 or a 4t and it's not going to climb hills without clutching it.  But what it's great for is its handleing and lightness.  you can do anything with one, they are an awsome feeling underneat you.  I have an 02 CR and love it.  It's not as powerfull as my 98 YZ125 was, but it's so much better handling.  It feels lighter and I believe is more narrow.  I miss the power the YZ had, but power is a prb that can be solved. 
  Go with what bike you like better.  If you like how the Honda looks, then get it and make it faster.  If you don't like how the bike looks and feels under then you will never like it no matter how much power it has.  But keep in mind, you're still talking about a little 125!
02 Cr125
02 Crf450
03 Polaris 250 Trailblazor
98 Buell S1WL

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 08:20:31 PM »
It's interesting to note, you can fit the displacement of fifty-six 125cc bikes into a 426 Hemi.  Our lawnmower is 173cc (four-stroke, I wasn't consulted in buying it.)  The fact that they can make the power they do and go as fast as they do, is an immense tribute to the two-stroke design.  Aside from my 120, which I believe was lovingly crafted by angels and sent down from the heavens, I think the 125cc class is the one where I just wouldn't want an old one.  Any ye olde 125 that didn't have a rotary valve was pretty much guaranteed to be useless unless revved to the moon.  And, considering it wasn't as popular as the larger bikes, parts are in a bad way, especially for the European bikes which really really sold badly in that segment.

I guess I went on a bit of a tangent there.  Have I already said which 125 I'd get?  Oh yeah, I did.  Well... mep.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?