Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Yamaha YL1 help  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Roblogan86

• View Profile
Yamaha YL1 help
« on: January 28, 2013, 06:08:24 PM »
this is my first motorcycle rebuild,
im part of a 2stroke moped shop so i i know a decent amount about 2 stokes but i work with mostly single cylinder and nothing this old. that being said i was setting this up to be bare bones with no battery since it has a kick start and  no turn signals. i mounted the engine and and was checking the electrical I'm getting some voltage out of the green post wich is meant for lights and ext, but the orange and ash grey posts are getting no curent at all im not sure why i checked the points and condensers cleaned them but I'm not familiar with the flywheel i.e. how to pul it to check and clean if there is any rust or crud in there. if anyone has some info for me that would be awesome, i removed all of the electrical i am going to run it as a racer so i only have the ignition coils hooked up and and grounded

Like This
MultiQuote
Edit
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
Yamaha YL1 help
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 12:10:01 AM »
Here is the wiring:

Looks liek there is no primary coil. So juice for the secondary (ignition high voltage) coils comes from the battery. You have to hitch up the battery to get it to work.

Good luck, should be a fun project.

Hitch up with the folks at YamahaEnduro.com -- lots of experts on that forum for bikes like these.

this is my first motorcycle rebuild,
im part of a 2stroke moped shop so i i know a decent amount about 2 stokes but i work with mostly single cylinder and nothing this old. that being said i was setting this up to be bare bones with no battery since it has a kick start and  no turn signals. i mounted the engine and and was checking the electrical I'm getting some voltage out of the green post wich is meant for lights and ext, but the orange and ash grey posts are getting no curent at all im not sure why i checked the points and condensers cleaned them but I'm not familiar with the flywheel i.e. how to pul it to check and clean if there is any rust or crud in there. if anyone has some info for me that would be awesome, i removed all of the electrical i am going to run it as a racer so i only have the ignition coils hooked up and and grounded

Like This
MultiQuote
Edit
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)