Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Strange Russian bike  (Read 6552 times)

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
Strange Russian bike
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 09:12:33 AM »
People don't want to have fun. They want to buy more bike than they can handle, mod it until it's crazy fast, then try to tame it and get frustrated  ;D
AKA drag banshee's for sale on craigslist they can't afford to run  :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Strange Russian bike
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 01:37:35 AM »
i want one what ever it is

Offline Chad_Bakken

• View Profile
Strange Russian bike
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 03:14:07 AM »
The problem with the KDX was 2 fold:

First, it was nowhere competitive with the KTM 200. Completely different bikes in the same market. To update the KDX to the levels of the KTM took all the profit out of it and priced it too high for the casual rider (who the bike was originally built for).

Second, the market was shrinking anyway. The 200 off-road class was quickly being dominated by big bore 125's. The modern suspension upgrades and more powerful motors we competitive with the KDX even before adding the 139/144 kits. With that little bit of lower and mid range boost, the KDX was nowhere in the field.

As sales slumped, there was not no reason to continue.

Finally, in keeping with the "left over parts" theme, there were less and less of those since 2-stroke improvements dwindled with the advance of the 4-stroke market.

Sad really because before the KTM200, it was a great idea (cheap bike built out of left over parts for the woods segment) that really promoted enduro type events.

I read that the US Forestry service outlawed 2t trail bikes from being imported and that was the reason they died in this country.  The KTM 200 and other 200s are still allowed because they are closed competition vehicles and not trail bikes.  But I don't know exactly how true that is.

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
Strange Russian bike
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 04:42:14 AM »
The problem with the KDX was 2 fold:

First, it was nowhere competitive with the KTM 200. Completely different bikes in the same market. To update the KDX to the levels of the KTM took all the profit out of it and priced it too high for the casual rider (who the bike was originally built for).

Second, the market was shrinking anyway. The 200 off-road class was quickly being dominated by big bore 125's. The modern suspension upgrades and more powerful motors we competitive with the KDX even before adding the 139/144 kits. With that little bit of lower and mid range boost, the KDX was nowhere in the field.

As sales slumped, there was not no reason to continue.

Finally, in keeping with the "left over parts" theme, there were less and less of those since 2-stroke improvements dwindled with the advance of the 4-stroke market.

Sad really because before the KTM200, it was a great idea (cheap bike built out of left over parts for the woods segment) that really promoted enduro type events.

I read that the US Forestry service outlawed 2t trail bikes from being imported and that was the reason they died in this country.  The KTM 200 and other 200s are still allowed because they are closed competition vehicles and not trail bikes.  But I don't know exactly how true that is.

Wrong, US Forestry Service can't ban 2t only and the BLM doesn't have a problem with them
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
Strange Russian bike
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 12:23:57 AM »
X2. I've often thought of a 100cc full sized XC class, something to bring the fun back.

i want one

Offline beaner

• Junior
    • View Profile
Strange Russian bike
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 02:49:29 AM »
i think there would be a market for air cooled lower travel suspension 2 stroke bikes. sell them around 3k new...hmmmmmmm

I thought for sure that's what we'd see when the Chinese started building cheap bikes for this market, but it hasn't worked out that way. I'd buy one and run +50 with it. All the other old guys would be jealous  :P
Ontario, Canada