Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Odd thought on Power Valve  (Read 7305 times)

Offline grumpy

• Junior
    • View Profile
Odd thought on Power Valve
« on: April 16, 2010, 10:15:43 AM »
If I were to sand down and paint my power valve with a hi temp clear coat, would it lessen or eliminate carbon build up?

I know it's an odd question, what's your thoughts?
The AMA 4 stroke displacement rule is simply the AMA's Rich Kid's Handicap Rule!

Offline G-MONEY

• Expert
  • LET'R BUCK
    • View Profile
Re: Odd thought on Power Valve
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 10:54:36 AM »
As long as your sanding keep going through 400grit to 600 then1000 then 1500 and finish with 2000 grit. Take it to the buffing wheel with a fine cut compound and turn that surface into a mirror. I do this it helps a little bit but the real problem is that you have residue on a hot part and when it cools it hardens to a crust.

It reminds me of wet grass that sticks to the underside of the mower deck.If you clean it when your done you won't get a build up.
"Everthing's the same just slightly different"

Offline dogger315

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 04:19:10 PM »
If I were to sand down and paint my power valve with a hi temp clear coat, would it lessen or eliminate carbon build up?
Just take your power valve flap out, media blast it and send out to be coated with Teflon, Silverstone
or some other non-stick coating.

dogger

Offline MMS

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 01:25:50 AM »
Jam it open, powervalves are only for big jessies anyway!*  :P

*prior to 4-strokes arriving of-course.

Offline Chokey

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 06:00:09 PM »
I think you'd be very unlikely to find any sort of clear coat that would hold up in the *1200 exhaust stream.

The best way to reduce carbon build-up is to jet your bike correctly.

Offline grumpy

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 06:52:37 PM »
Does it really get that hot? I thought the plug gets about 450 degrees F, seems like a massive jump to 1200.
The AMA 4 stroke displacement rule is simply the AMA's Rich Kid's Handicap Rule!

Offline RideRedMx2

• Expert
  • HRC FACTORY RACING
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000301824082&ref=profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 10:52:59 PM »
Exhaust power valves will always get carbon on them no mater what you do,i ceramic coated mine and it made it better because it didnt stick as easy but it still stuck to them.....no way around it you have to clean them periodically  no mater what you do even if your bike is jetted properly

Honda CR-250R #2.....Vet Class
CycleNation Powersports...Cycle Center Of Denton...HRC Factory Racing

Offline Chokey

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
Does it really get that hot? I thought the plug gets about 450 degrees F, seems like a massive jump to 1200.
Exhaust gas temperatures in a correctly jetted two-stroke will run around 1200*F. When the temps start approaching or exceeding 1300* bad things start to happen. If the temps are less than about 1200*F then the engine is not effectively extracting the energy from the fuel. Combustion temps can exceed 2800*C (4500*F).

The plug, piston crown, cylinder, and head are all cooled by the cooling system. They are also protected from the extreme heat of combustion by a very thin boundary layer a few molecules thick of unburned fuel fuel that clings to the surfaces. Otherwise they would melt.