Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: A Little Info ON The New MAICO'S!  (Read 4066 times)

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
A Little Info ON The New MAICO'S!
« on: April 15, 2010, 03:56:31 PM »
I just recently sent out an e-mail to Rich at Dirtwurx asking him for a little info on the new bikes,ie(approximate price,whether they are German or British etc.) He e-mailed me back stating that the new Maico's basic frame & engines are still being built by Kostler in Germany and the U.K. guys are doing the R&D and are either building or buying all of the good parts that we see in the brochures.He also stated as did some members of this site that they  have a deal in place with Maico U.K. to import the bikes but are still working on the DOT legalities & that will probably take a few months or so.Rich said this is going to be done on a very small scale at first,strictly distributor direct.This is all GREAT news to me as a fan of the Maico brand as it should be to other fans of this unique dirtbike.The only somewhat negative info which I expected is the price of between 10k to 12k or maybe a bit less for a 250 or 320 which should be expected due to the dollar/euro and dollar/pound exchange rate these days!However,at least to me this is wondeful news & in these bad economic times I don't have any problem whatsoever with that price for such a unique & AWESOME 2-stroke MX or enduro bike that is 2-stroke reliable! "The beauty is in the simplicity"!!!!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: A Little Info ON The New MAICO'S!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 04:37:32 PM »
I definitely want one, but it's just as definite that I'll have to wait a few years for the price to go down.  In the meantime, I'll stick to mostly Evolution bikes.  I'll be really interested to see how much of an impact they make in the market.  I hope that we'll see the Maico reputation go back to what it was in the '70s, that is, a Porsche on two wheels.  A bit old-school, but with great handling, stone reliability, and more power than people expect.  That's what they were then, and I really hope that's what they're becoming now.  Only time will tell what the reaction will be.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 04:46:38 AM »
Lot's of good news from the Maico front!!

I promise to keep you guys up-to-date as new information is released.

Throughout all this stuff I seem to be a little more involved than imagined a year ago!!  :o :o
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 06:44:04 AM »
Whew, $10K for a dirt bike. I guess its about the same as a 500AF. It would be great to see a test on the 700, or any of them for that matter. You know MXA won't do one, since they're the most 4-stroke friendly mag out there. At any rate, the bikes are simply bad--s.

Offline grumpy

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 08:12:30 AM »
Well, if you race a 450f MX then I think you'd find $10k a minor cost in comparison to what the 450f costs with maintenance for 1 race season. For a cheapo trail rider like me, a $10k dirt bike is a pipe dream. But the thought of owning a '10 Maico is more exciting than sex. :P
The AMA 4 stroke displacement rule is simply the AMA's Rich Kid's Handicap Rule!

Offline Suzuki TS250/185

• Expert
  • No Thanks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 08:28:19 AM »
OOps! Big mistake there with the mags bud! MXA is the most 2 Stroke Friendly magazine.

The Anti 2 Stroke magazine you are thinking of is Transworld Motocross, OR "Transworld Mower-Cross" for short. Don and his crew apparently love the flatulent burble of the tractor bikes siting on the line. "Sschmooo!....Sschmooo!..." 

Jody and the MXA crew are 2 Stroke Soldiers! Motocross Action is first in line when it comes to acknowleging the fact that there's still an alternative to the 4 stroke pushers and their steroided, puffed up play bikes.

Thanks,

Jim
I think 4 stroke dirtbikes are a phase, kind of like "Glam Rock" in a way. You see the whole world subscribing to it, and you wonder how everyone could be choking down so much Kool Aid and Spam... Then 10 Years later, nothing's left but the timeless stuff from before and after..

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
Whew, $10K for a dirt bike. I guess its about the same as a 500AF. It would be great to see a test on the 700, or any of them for that matter. You know MXA won't do one, since they're the most 4-stroke friendly mag out there. At any rate, the bikes are simply bad--s.

Burn1986 - I disagree about MXA in a couple of ways... first I believe that they will test the bike when they are here in the states.

Second out of all the magazines, they are the most vocal about two-strokes being better than the four-stroke. Sure most of the machines tested in their magazine are four-strokes, but every time they test a two-stroke they are fair and sometimes effusive. You can not say that about any of the other magazines.

Over the past six months or so they have had editorials stating that the two-stroke is a better machine.... so I personally like MXA.

As for the cost of the machines, to be fair you need to compare apples to apples... look at what you get with a Maico or a TM... high end components that do not come stock on the less expensive Japanese bikes. Many mx racers invest far more into their machines than 10K.

As an example, most everyone changes the pipe and silencer on there machines, modifies their suspension, ports the engine, instalsl V-Force or Rad valves and the list goes on and on. When you buy one of the "expensive" machines all these things come stock. If you were to add up how much it cost to buy a Japanese bike plus the modifications verus buying one of the so-called "expensive" bikes you may find that you are getting a bargain.

Just saying... make sure that you compare properly....
Life is short.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 08:59:40 AM »
burn1986 read "Manifesto of an Unrepentant Two Stroke Afficianado"by Jody Weisel on this site.It was in MXA not to long ago.It is a GREAT read!

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 04:51:20 PM »
Hi john is right.
My TM300 comes standard with the following.
Hand built port and polished engine.
HGS exhaust.
V force reeds and cage.
Custom billet tripple clamps.
Custom billet hubs.
Talon rims.
Ohlin suspension front and rear.
Oversize front disc with Brembo caliper.

As you can see if you add up the extras the more expensive bikes are not that expensive.
Just my 2c worth
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 10:33:50 PM »
It was the same story in the olden days, too.  Maicos have always been an expensive bike, with a sort of Porsche-like reputation.  They were oft criticized for their cost, but occasionally a magazine would lay out an explanation.

"If not the most expensive, Maicos have always been one of the more expensive racers. Today, at $2317, the 450 Magnum II is the most expensive production-line motocrosser available. But don't despair; you can make up the difference between the Maico and some other motocrosser by adding to the latter components which come standard on the Magnum. Realistically, motocross racing is not a cheap sport. If a Maico costs a few hundred dollars more at the start of one season, by the time you get through the season you may have spent so much on other areas you won't remember the few extra hundred spent early on. Only your banker will."

~ Cycle, October 1979

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 09:31:21 AM »
OOps! Big mistake there with the mags bud! MXA is the most 2 Stroke Friendly magazine.

The Anti 2 Stroke magazine you are thinking of is Transworld Motocross, OR "Transworld Mower-Cross" for short. Don and his crew apparently love the flatulent burble of the tractor bikes siting on the line. "Sschmooo!....Sschmooo's,

Jody and the MXA crew are 2 Stroke Soldiers! Motocross Action is first in line when it comes to acknowleging the fact that there's still an alternative to the 4 stroke pushers and their steroided, puffed up play bikes.

Thanks,

How many shootouts have you seen of a 150SX included in the 250F shootouts? None, ever. How many tests have you seen of the TM bikes, Husky, KTMs with the same coverage and exposure as the 4 strokes? How much coverage on the Maicos? I know these bikes have been a little quirky over the years, but there as been a noticeable push by MXA to effectively eliminate 2strokes from their mag. Sure they put out the article of the 2Stroke Manifesto, but that was it. Everything else in their mag paints 2strokes out as some mystical far gone and forgotten relic. MXA has completely buckled to the Big 4. They will never include the 150 2stroke against the 250Fs or an aluminum frame 500 against the 450Fs in a shootout because this would slam the factories and not fit in to MXA's view of the current status of motocross. There are lines that MXA will simply not cross and one of those is a completely objective on-going report of the status of 2strokes. I have been an avid reader of MXA for more than 10 years and they are a business that has to make a profit - job number one. They are committed to reporting and giving an in-depth view of the current fad at the time (up to a point). When this reporting directly conflicts with the business plans of major corporations (Big 4) then they have to limit their reporting.

That's kind of a long answer for - MXA says they are pro 2stroke but won't give them the time of day.
MXA is the enemy of the two stroke.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 12:58:15 PM by burn1986 »

Offline KTMguy

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 01:17:29 PM »
I got to agree with everyone else, MXA is a pretty 2 stroke friendly mag. The def don't hide their love for the 2 stroke. They just got to play the game and do plenty of 4 stroke tests, and hop up ads.
That's where they get most of their advertising $$ from.

The major offender in my opinion, as stated above, would be Transworld. As soon as the 4 strokes took over they pretty much pretended like 2 strokes were dead and buried. They put out that 2010 YZ250 test vid out the other day though, and it seemed like they changed their tune a little. The tester did nothing but rave about the blue beast.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 02:09:20 PM »
Burn1986... just so you know I've been a reader of MXA since it's inception and still have a copy of the first issue!! I have to disagree with you greatly on your assessment.

As an example, I went onto the bike test section of MXA online and found the following tests on two-strokes. This is only for 2010 and they do not publish online all the tests they have in their magazine...

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/REAL-TESTS-2010-MXA-RACE-TEST-OF-THE-KTM-250SX-TWO-1667.aspx

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/REAL-TESTS-2010-MXA-RACE-TEST-OF-THE-KTM-150SX-It-5416.aspx

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/WE-RIDE-THE-SERVICE-HONDA-KX50AF-ACTUALLY-WE-HAVE-1999.aspx

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/2010-YAMAHA-TWOSTROKES-Yamaha-Keeps-The-YZ85-YZ125-4134.aspx

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/FIRST-LOOK-AT-THE-TWENTYTEN-MAICOS-You-Read-That-R-2831.aspx

I know this is from last year, but I thought I'd include it here..

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/MXA-RACE-TEST-The-New-2009-Yamaha-YZ250-TwoStroke-6203.aspx

Over the past year or two they have tested the YZ250 against the YZ250F and then the KTM150 against the 250F. If I recall properly they also did a shootout with 2 two-stroke 250's and 2 four-stroke 250's...

So I'm really confused by your assessment of MXA.

If you know of another magazine that has done more for the two-stroke, I'm all ears! And I want to read that magazine!

As for why they haven't tested the Maico or TM's... I know the reason now... the distributors for both bikes did not supply the magazines with bikes to test! It's that easy!! In the future, I'm confident that the new distributors for both of these brands will make machines available for magazine tests..
Life is short.