Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Spring Ride of 2010  (Read 9437 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Spring Ride of 2010
« on: April 12, 2010, 09:19:13 PM »
From the people who brought you the Spring Ride of 2009, comes the 2010 Ride Report!

Friday, 09 April

I sat at the kitchen table at 4:30 in the afternoon.  School had been out for about an hour and a half, and that time had been used to pack anything that could conceivably be needed in the forest.  Let's see... spare pants, Bigfoot shirt, 50lb math book, iPhone, that's about it!  After a few minutes, the big green '98 Ram pulled into the driveway and backed aimed the tailgate to the garage.  Ten minutes later, the '82 Husky 250CR was loaded in the back and we were rolling to his house.  Another driveway, another garage, and soon another Husqvarna was loaded into the truck, this one a '79 390CR.

By around six, we had the trailer hooked up and were on our way to the camp, located on what will be identified only as the "Archery Camp Road."  To conform with tradition, we played the "Rollin' Free" by Johnny Cash.  It's a perfect song for our style of riding.

Rollin' free Johnny Cash

When we got there, we got a surprise.  The Archery Camp Road, which is notorious for having tons of washouts and great holes, making it one of the most dangerous roads to ride, had been "fixed."  The owner had laid down some gravel over all the bad parts and left a road that could be traveled by a Husky at 80 miles per, without much worry of danger.  Sure, the "gravel" did seem to be absolutely massive 5-inch minus with sharp edges, but the muddy dirt beneath had let the rocks sink and get pounded down until they formed a virtual brick road.

We met up with our fellow riders (uncle Scott and cousin Mark) at the end of the road.  There were no camps available on the road, because it was the meat of Turkey Hunting season.  So, in typical fashion, we carved a new one out of the woods, and made our campfire in this great pit that was sitting there for an unknown reason.  The night was cold, and we struggled to get enough wood to feed the campfire enough to stay warm, but we all stayed up to about 3:00am.

Saturday, 10 April

We woke up at a time.  Who knows what time, but it was one of them double-digit numbers.  Maybe.  We all stood around and bullshitted a bit, before it came time to unload the bikes from the truck.  It was around this time that my other uncle, John, arrived in his old Dodge Caravan with horrendously mediocre Honda MR250 inside.

With the bikes unloaded, the testing ritual began.  Scott had been talking big about how all his Huskies started perfectly.  Dad took the 390CR aside, turned on the gas and choke, and proceeded to wait a few seconds.  A few gentle prods on the ridiculously short shifter got some gas swirling around in the cylinder.  Then, on the first genuine kick, the big open-classer came to life in all its triumph and majesty.  Take that, Scott!

The 250CR was next.  After a few kicks, it too came to life.  But strangely, it died suddenly and without notice and refused to start or even make a pop afterward.  The problem turned out to be the kill-switch, which was taken apart, put back, and gave no more troubles throughout the rest of the day.

Eventually, everyone's bikes were tested, though both of the Huskies (an '81 430XC and '79 250OR for Mark) took more than 15 kicks to fire.  With that, we took off on the ride.  It started easy, with no craziness or banging of gears (for the most part), although there was some occasional... quick shifting taking place.

After about fifteen minutes of riding, I noticed that my 250 was exhibiting some odd power delivery characteristics.  There was nothing major, but it did feel like it was jetted richly or something.  Then, without warning, the engine noise of the thing doubled.  This was significant, considering that the silencer was unpacked to begin with.  I stopped in the road and looked down at the bike, which is when I noticed that the tip of the silencer, with inner screen attached, was no longer bolted to the silencer itself.  It was just hanging there!  I killed the bike, wrapped the oily thing in toilet paper from my backpack and we continued on.  For the rest of the trip, I rode about with what amounts to a straight stinger with a megaphone.

After another fifteen minutes, we stopped at the top of a big windy hill under some powerlines.  As we meandered about, listening to the lines crack and sizzle, I took the opportunity to demonstrate the absurdity of my exhaust, and get a picture of Scott and Dad looking bad-ass.

We soon took off again, but Mark's 250OR refused to start.  Even a run-and-bump failed.  Fortunately, we were on the top of a great mountain, so a few hundred feet of walking, and there was an adequate hill for a compression start.  When the bike fired, rocks and dust went sailing from Mark's rear tire in triumph as the OR blasted toward the horizon.

We soon ran out of gravel roads, and the terrain switched to dirt.  This was a bad thing, because the snow had only recently melted and left much of the roads gooey and covered with mud puddles.  Several times throughout the day, there were near-misses as the bike tried to slide one way or another into a bottomless pit of brown slime.  After some significant miles, we passed The Devil's Tee (so named because for about ten years, there was always someone who broke down before getting there) and headed out to "The Ford."  This insanely rusted 1949 Ford was abandoned in the desert long ago, and been burned, covered with "so-and-so-was-here-on-this-date-with-this-bike" sign-in scratches, as well as the occasional initials written in bullet holes.  Welcome to redneck territory.

The next stop was the fabled "Rock Quarry," where a mining operation had once been set up to carve bright red rainbow rock from the side of a mountain.  On the way past the devil's tee, we bypassed the road entirely by cutting through the field to the left of it.  Little did we know, this section of field was more of a swamp than a field at this time of year, with standing water cleverly hidden by the grass.  With throttle wide open in third gear, the 250s struggled to maintain speed through the mire as tires sank a good 10" into the ooze.  A 125 would likely not have made it, but the torquey 390 seemed comfortable.

After this point, Mark and I ended up behind John, which was a bad sign.  Like James May from Top Gear, Johnson's sense of direction can best be described as sketchy.  After passing the intersection I thought led to the Rock Quarry, we continued for five miles more, not wanting to turn around and let John keep riding all the way to Canada.  Eventually, he stopped, turned around, and led us past the intersection again.  Another five miles past the turn-off, another turn-around was in order, and Johnson once again took the lead.  Annoyed with this navigatory performance, I cut off the road, through a field of grass and boulders, and led the proper way to the intersection.  Mark and I then waited for five minutes for John to catch up.

When we arrived at the Rock Quarry, I noted something else strange about my bike.  The shocks suddenly seemed to have no dampening, as though they were just a set of springs and nothing else.  When the bike was stopped, the cause was obvious.  One of the O-Rings in one of the shocks and blown, and spewed oil over everything, leaving that side of the bike undamped, and the whole bike unbalanced and springy.  Dammit.

(^^ From left to right, we have me (with sun in my eyes) and my '82 250CR, dad's '79 390CR, Mark with his '79 250OR, and Scott's '81 430XC.  Blue, by the way, is possibly the single least common gas tank color for Husqvarnas.  How in the hell did that happen?)

After exploring around the quarry for a while, ratchet-jawing about the good ole days when the place was actually a functioning quarry, we took off for camp.  The suspension on the Husky was horrific.  Over every rock and bump, the rear wheel would grab huge amounts of air, spin in futility, then tap the ground briefly again before surging back into the air.  Grip over rocks was minimal.  Eventually, though, rocks gave way to a fast gravel road where we got to cruise along comfortably at 60mph in sixth, down a hill with the throttle barely cracked.  Ah, mileage.

The next stage was risky.  We'd ventured so far from the way we'd come, that we really didn't want to go back all that way.  Besides, we'd already ridden all of it!  So, we gathered up some balls and hit the pavement, keeping the bikes at a comfortable middle-of-the-road RPM in sixth.  This was a virtually abandoned little road, but afterward, we had to spend about a minute on the highway, and then another five on the road leading to camp, the way we'd driven in the night before.

Trying to keep low-key with the almighty bazooka-exhausted Husky of death riding on the world's most oingy-boingy shocks, I happened to let Mark pass on an uphill section after a 90-degree turn.  That just wasn't going to do!  So, I rolled on the power in fourth, letting the RPM build until the 250 went into a great shrieking wail of horsepower and doom, at which point I clicked fifth, then sixth as I sailed by Mark doing 85.  The sound of that fly-by must've been Biblical.

About five minutes later, we arrived back at camp.  Scott revealled that half-way through the return trip, his clutch had completely shat itself and gone from working perfectly, to scarcely working at all.  Almost any application of throttle would make it slip relentlessly.

After everyone had a chance to rest a while, not one, but TWO chainsaws were fired up, and we went into the woods to do what Oregonians do best.  Cut down trees!  Don't worry, we only cut the dead ones, which actually provides a service to the live ones who need sunlight.  After half an hour with two men cutting and three carrying 4-foot logs two-at-a-time to the wood pile, we were done, with well over half a ton of timber.

Unlike the night before, Saturday night's fire was a beast.  When sitting around it, it was recommended to keep the chairs at least ten feet away at all times, or else the heat would become unbearable.  We did an experiment, and found that if you took a long stick and held one end of it in the air at the bottom of the fire, it would take seven seconds for it to catch on fire.  Just from the heat in the air.

(This fire stood about 5-6 feet high, from ash pit to flame top.)

Sunday, 11 April

The next morning, we got up and realized that three remarkable things had happened.  First, almost all the wood we'd harvested was gone, and there was nothing but fine ash and a resilient piece of steel remaining.

Remarkable thing number two was that my dad's beloved Sony Cybershot camera was missing.  After a search all around camp, Mark decided to poke through the fire ashes with a stick, and found the metal backing to the camera, with a little hole where the viewfinder once was.  And nothing else.  All the rest of the camera was incinerated and vanished into the ether.

Remarkable thing number three, was that one of the nuts that holds the rear axle on my bike was missing!  So on the way back on that last ride, in addition to having the most-pitiful suspension on Earth, I had been dealing with a rear wheel threatening at any moment to detach itself from the motorcycle.  Not quite able to wiggle itself free, it had made sport of wobbling about and making me thing the suspension was even worse than it actually was.  Dammit!

With all this, as well as Scott's decimated clutch, we really didn't make any attempt at another ride, even though the weather was fairly warm.  At about 6:45, we were all packed up and headed home.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Ride of 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 08:48:42 AM »
Nothing quite like a nice long trail ride to clear the cobwebs out of one's brains!I can remember many years ago I lost one of the rear axle nuts on my Husky during a cross country race and I crawled about a 1/2 mile down the trail (rolling out of the way every time I heard a bike coming) till I found it! After that I welded the one nut on one side and made sure the other side was VERY tight. 

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 11:10:52 PM »
Sounds like fun going down those fire trails. Also, it must suck having shitty luck with the bike the whole time, but at least you all had fun.  ;D

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 11:27:14 PM »
It was a good time.  And, at least I've still got my '67 bike ready to roll.  Just needs a little air in the tire (ten months is a long time to sit) and the 120 is ready to go.  Oh, there is one thing wrong with it though, besides the tire.  The grips really need replacing.  We put new ones one when we got it, but I've ridden the bike so much, the grips wore down to bare metal in some places!

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 03:16:10 PM »
A whole gang of Husqvarnas!  You know, each time I've owned a Husqvarna never really got to ride it and got rid of it.  There was a 390 for sale in Seattle the other day for $500, that thing was gone quickly, almost considered getting it!  I wouldn't mind a 1981 or 1982 250CR/XC or 500 CR/XC, I don't like the white in the 83 or 84 and the water cooling (for the 500s, the 83 or 84 started already in the 250s) in 85's they look too square.

Actually, I am getting a new bike should have it here prolly by June.
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 05:11:06 PM »
Actually, I am getting a new bike should have it here prolly by June.

Whatcha gettin'???  :D
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 05:55:56 PM »
1986 Maico / MStar 500 (The last of the Maisch).  Water cooled, front/back disc brakes and even has the dreaded power valve!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 06:29:59 PM »
My dad has that very bike, he says its the fastest bike he's ever ridden.

One time, we were at our last stop of the ride, and Scott (see above) had the 430 with him and managed to get his helmet on first.  He said, "Last one to camp is a [censored for the sake of African-Americans everywhere] baby!"  At which point he kicks the bike over, gets on, and tears off down the road toward camp.  My dad had the '86 that day, so he throws on his helmet, kicks it over, and goes the other way.  If he followed Scott, he knew it would be a battle, but if he took the long way to camp, he could go as fast as he wanted without interference.  And so the 500 just goes flying along gravel roads and over the roughest of abandoned trails and he manages to get to camp before the Husky.  He leans the bike against a tree, throws his helmet to the ground, runs to the cooler, frantically grabs a bear, sprints to his chair, sits down, cracks the beer, and waits.  About fifteen seconds later, Scott pulls into camp, and there's dad, looking like he's been there for days.

That's a bike that starts well, handles well, and has so much power that everyone thinks it has trouble revving-out, because it's never needed very much power to keep up with anyone.  Don't like how it looks, though.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 08:47:58 PM »
State of the Husky address inbound!

So today we took one of the shocks off (the one that blew first) and took the reservoir apart to see what happened.  We suspected that the reservoir piston's O-Ring was at fault, and we were hoping that it was a standard size and could be replaced easily.  When we got the thing apart, we found that the O-Ring was actually fine.  Oh yeah, the piston itself had a hole in it, though.  Woah, wait a minute.  The piston had a hole in it?!  Oh yes, my friends, a nice big chunk of the piston had mysteriously blown out.  The chunk was just sort of laying in the reservoir, and the hole was big enough that you could wear the piston as a ring on your pinky finger.  A very large, mechanical sort of ring.  So anyway, this left us with two options.  We could either call Ohlins and see if they had the part, and if we could afford it.  Or, we could do the redneck thing and hobble it together with some parts in the garage.  So, half an hour, a pipe fitting, and a bit of red Loc-Tite later, and the shock is ready to go, better than it's ever been since we've had the bike!  No idea what's wrong with the other one, but that's going to be another story for another day.  The shock is still at his house, so the bike's looking a little strange right now.  World's most ineffective monoshock!

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 12:23:59 AM »
The first time I really saw a Husqvarna was in the early 1990s.  Sitting for years in a garage and covered in dust the bike looked like a work of art.  Under and inch of dust a red tank with chrome sides, gold front forks and a black seat that said "TNT" along side a white lightning bolt.  A single pine board was all there was for a rear shock and a very unique fin design unlike any seen on a Japenese bike.  Beside this bike sat the infamous "Red Rocket", a 1978 Honda CR250, but even this king of motocross couldn't steal away the luster of the Husqvarna show piece.

Carter, the owner of the bike, was a friend of my dad's and said that he would trade the bike for a garage door.  My father had another friend named Dave who installed garage doors and where he worked there was a garbage bin full of garage doors.  Unfortunately, this would not be as easy as it sounded.

It was a school night and my friend Mark, my dad and I drove down to the South Side of Pittsburgh.  We backed the Datsun Nissan in to an alley next to the South Side hospital and pulled next to the trash bin.  Filled to the brim with sections of garage door we started to pick out the good ones and load up the truck.  This took us about 10 minutes and we hopped back into the truck and began to pull out.  No sooner did my dads foot touch the gas pedal as the police showed up and boxed us into the alley.

Three police officers, one police car and one K-9 van, came out and told us to get against the wall.  Hands on their guns they were not messing around.  We complied and got against the wall.  My dad started to try and talk to them and he was able to convince them to let him make a phone call.  Mark and I stood against the wall while one of the officers walked with my dad over to the hospital to make a phone call.  He called Dave who talked to the police and said we had permission to take those garage doors.  This would become a joke later because my dad said we didn't really have permission, Dave is not the owner and the police didn't even verify who Dave even was, essentially he could have called anyone and had them tell the police he had permission.

So there is was, a 1981 Husqvarna 250CR in all its glory.  The bike had no compression at all.  Any and all attempts to kick start the beast proved frivolous as it simply refused to start.  We then went to try and drift start it so we pushed the bike up to the top of a side street next to my house.  I rode it down the street, pine board shock and all, but no luck.  This was attempted several more times also without any success.  Then on around the fifth attempt something amazing happened, the bike came roaring to life.  I rode the bike back up the street and into my back yard to the fields.  The bike was beat and you could tell.  The bike wanted to scream but it just couldn't.  I crossed one field and turned around.  As I was comming down the field and bouncing in the bumps the back shock, er, pine board broke and the bike stalled.  I never started that bike again.

Mark and I tore the bike down to see what was wrong with it.  Well, what wasn't wrong with it?  Cylinder needed bored, the piston had a huge chunk taken out of the top, likely from someone using too long a bolt in the side spark plug hole.  All the bearings in the motor were spun, the reeds were almost half open at rest, carb was dirty, the "boost box" connection was hacked up and essentially one big air leak.  The connecting rod was purple from rubbing against the crank and was also shot to hell. 

That was the day I realized that European bikes were superior to Japanese machinery.  Japenese bikes seemed to get stuck on a wet leaf and won't start if a wet leaf is stuck to the tank.  This bike was essentially blown up but still was able to start, something a Japenese bike could never fanthom even when they are in top condition some of the time! 

The shifting forks of the engine sat on roller bearings so it wasn't metal on metal in the shifting drum, it was smooth and the bike shifted smoothly. 

Mud Day, Ankur's Day Off, Return of CR500

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 05:46:21 PM »
Now that's a story.  I think you'd really enjoy talking to my dad, because he is the undisputed KING of crazy stories.  One of those stories is the time when a friend of his brought an RM riding, and rode without the ignition cover on.  Why?  I don't know, maybe he lost it or used it as a container for bolts or something, these characters can be a little weird in the head at times.  But anyway, they come to this stream crossing and there goes the RM into the water, which was a couple feet high.  Dad's behind him, probably on his '77 Maico but maybe this was before that.  Anyway, he yells for the guy not to do it because he's got a totally exposed ignition.  Of course, no one hears and into the stream the RM goes, with water going everywhere.  There's no way that part of the bike stayed dry, basically.  Then, out of the stream comes the RM, and it rattles on up the trail, unperturbed.  Moral of the story, I suppose, is that while some Japanese bikes may be a little freaky and not like running when something minor is wrong, they are also more than capable of surviving situations which they just shouldn't be able to.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 08:50:56 PM »
Many years ago (early 1980's) a freind of mine was in a desert race in central Washington and managed to break his engine in half! The bike was a KDX250 and the trans. cavity was broken from the crankcase. I saw the cases on a milling machine after they had been welded back together and there was not a single gusset or strengthening rib in the trans. area.

If I can put a "plug" in for Motocentre in Yakima one of the areas that the owner specializes in is the overhaul of Ohlins shocks and he has an ample supply of parts.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 10:51:29 PM »
I'll certainly keep that in mind if it turns out that we need to buy some parts or get some complex work done.  But of course, it's always nice to fix things for free when possible. :D

Do you feel lucky, punk?