Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Cycle World Two Stroke article  (Read 8761 times)

Offline Chris2T

• Expert
    • View Profile
Cycle World Two Stroke article
« on: September 02, 2012, 01:51:45 AM »
very good article about two strokes in the October issue of Cycle World, and how Husqvarna is poised to release a street legal enduro with direct-injection, and that KTM has theirs in the ready. I especially love the statements about how "4 stroke were more expensive and much more maintenance-intensive, and tended to have exhaust sound that was offensive...putting pressure on mx tracks to quiet down or shut down".
Nice to see one of the most well respected magazines in the entire motorcycle industry speak the truth about 4 strokes. When the di 2 strokes break cover i wonder if the AMA will be forced to reconsider their rules, in order to let this new technology have a chance at competing. Or perhaps the new motors can defeat the 4 strokes, handicap or not!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline Logan Dewey

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 03:21:00 AM »
Thats awesome! Street legal two strokes ftw

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 07:36:59 AM »
where did they get their sources from though? fresh sources or repeating info from years gone by?

Huskys promise of a DI 2T for this year which they failed to deliver? or KTMs great DI 2T which is apparently in the closet just like R-kelly and Tom Cruise from that southpark episode.

I dont have access to that magazine unfortunately, would you be able to scan and post it up?

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 07:42:14 AM »
http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/08/13/two-stroke-resurrection/

here it is.

nothing new really unfortunately.

perhaps we will see the husky released this time next year, but it will likely just be more waiting.

I've been hearing the 'next year its comming' for years (since 2008 I beleive). It started with KTM, then Husaberg, Husaberg again, Then Gas Gas and TM, and now its Husqvarna's turn :)

Offline metal_miracle

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 01:48:44 PM »
I think it has something to do whit when euro 4-5 emission standard comes in to effect

Offline Chris2T

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 01:57:32 PM »
what's new is that no less an authority than Cycle World has published an article about it. Who knows, maybe it won't be released any time soon. I too have heard about KTM's direct injection for many years now and i've stopped holding my breath. But the fact is, is that Ski-Doo has turned the snowmobile world upside down with their direct injected 2 strokes engines, so the technology is there.   

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 09:16:57 PM »
I think it has something to do whit when euro 4-5 emission standard comes in to effect

Yep. Ktm has said that when their road legal 2 strokes can no longer pass emissions tests they will bring out their DI EXC. Until then they are sticking with the carb

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 10:02:29 PM »
Euro 5 has already been and gone if I am correct? Euro 6 is 2015 yes?

If they were comming out next year we would have surely had a teaser video or a international motor show appearance by now. I'm personally going to say that they are more than 12 months off.

Interesting thing is that snowmobiles gradually stepped from carb to efi and then dfi, whereas the bikes are making an enormous leap carb to dfi

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 11:34:29 PM »

If they were comming out next year we would have surely had a teaser video or a international motor show appearance by now. I'm personally going to say that they are more than 12 months off.

Interesting thing is that snowmobiles gradually stepped from carb to efi and then dfi, whereas the bikes are making an enormous leap carb to dfi

I was going to point that out too. But another thing thats noteworthy is that DI in a two stroke would most likely remove the need for fuel to be in the crank case. Maybe someone will make a DI 2 stroke car with a sump to save mixing the gas. That would indeed be interesting and once you slap on a turbo with that direct injection it would definitely be exciting to see the dyno curve.

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 12:17:05 AM »
There will not be a DI 2-stroke with a sump. The intake air has to pass through the crankcase -- unless you superchange it.  Sump oil bath would smoke like crazy and suck out all the oil. So the only way to oil the bearings/piston is with an injection system as no fuel will be squirted in there.

As far as bikes going straight from carbs to DI there are a couple of examples to the contrary. 4 stroke bikes have had fuel injection for awhile and OSSA makes a trials bike with FI as well. But yes, it will be a big stretch from what we have now (stone knives and bear skins) to reliable DI two stroke dirt bikes (spaceships).

I was going to point that out too. But another thing thats noteworthy is that DI in a two stroke would most likely remove the need for fuel to be in the crank case. Maybe someone will make a DI 2 stroke car with a sump to save mixing the gas. That would indeed be interesting and once you slap on a turbo with that direct injection it would definitely be exciting to see the dyno curve.
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 12:40:20 AM »
There will not be a DI 2-stroke with a sump. The intake air has to pass through the crankcase -- unless you superchange it.  Sump oil bath would smoke like crazy and suck out all the oil. So the only way to oil the bearings/piston is with an injection system as no fuel will be squirted in there.

As far as bikes going straight from carbs to DI there are a couple of examples to the contrary. 4 stroke bikes have had fuel injection for awhile and OSSA makes a trials bike with FI as well. But yes, it will be a big stretch from what we have now (stone knives and bear skins) to reliable DI two stroke dirt bikes (spaceships).

Good point on the sump part. But the OSSA comment reminds me didn't one of our members buy 1 out of 5 OSSA 300 FI enduro machines? What was his name.... He owned a mechanic shop. Daosplace. Where the hell is he? I'm dying to hear how that bike went.

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 01:17:49 AM »
from what Ive heard, no OSSAs have been delivered yet. Heck I havnt even seen any photos of one being stared/riden/raced or tested yet.
only pictures of the bike at the motor show.

IMO, the ossa is more than 12 months away also.

but also interestingly the OSSA adventure bike which is half way between a trials bike and an enduro bike is on youtube being tested by a spanish journalist. looks like a nice bike for trecking through rough terrain. (think its basically the same motor as the enduro bike, but Im not sure)

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
OSSA has stated publicly (and in an email to me!) that it will not be available until Spring 2013.

Although I think it is possible for somone to make a 2T DI Microcar (i.e. Axiom, Ligier etc), I find it unlikely. What I see going into them now are 4T Diesels due to the crazy high price of gas here in Europe (US Military bases are ove $4 per gallon, the locl economy is over 1.60 euro per liter!).

Fuel efficiency is the mantra today, not performance.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 03:18:48 PM »
The modern automotive diesels are providing both fuel economy and performance. :D

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 03:37:05 PM »
The modern automotive diesels are providing both fuel economy and performance. :D

Not in Microcars!

:P
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk