Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Official 2009 KTM 125sx bike build  (Read 21073 times)

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
Official 2009 KTM 125sx bike build
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 09:01:40 PM »
Actually my brother Bought an 05 Honda crf250r and the petcock was turned that way and it's how it was supposed to be. The fuel line came out the back and straight to the carb if u turned it around it would kink and wouldn't reach. Said on and off on it and everything u just couldn't see it

ya i can understand it being like that, but still ive never seen it before, i'll just turn it around, bc the line comes out of the bottom and it wont cause any issues
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline racer142

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 05:44:37 AM »
I Hear ya I would too if it didn't cause any issues. Personally I didn't like it on his bio u always had to fight to get it on and off. But I was always told it was so ur boot or something didn't shut the gas off while riding but ive never in my life had that issue

Offline nom de guerre

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 12:08:47 PM »
That fuel valve is correct and the reasoning they are "backwards" is for resistance to dirt/dust/mud getting into the face of the valve and buggering it all up.

Good thread and look forward to the completed bike.

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 02:27:30 AM »
i will be unable to get anything other than tearing the bike down done this weekend. i might be able to ship the motor early this coming week

just have too much stuff going on, but i get paid on wednesday, and it'll give me more time to tear everything down and assess it even further, so that helps a little

Offline motoxr377

• Junior
  • RM GUY
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 04:36:57 PM »
That fuel valve is correct and the reasoning they are "backwards" is for resistance to dirt/dust/mud getting into the face of the valve and buggering it all up.

Good thread and look forward to the completed bike.

That, and has anybody ever broken the lever on one? Pain in the ass. Just another reason they are turned around.

Offline ridered125

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 03:55:17 AM »
Rode my 2009 125 SX today. I posted earlier about it.  Bought the bike brand new as a leftover two weeks ago. Twosmoke you asked about the low end. I rode it on a really technical trail, first- and second-gear place with tight trees, logs everywhere, kind of like an endurocross course. It was 100 degrees, too. Most MXers ride this place one time and don't come back.

The 125 has low end. But it's geared tall stock for tight trail work. I had to clutch it some but it got me out of every jam and pulled along pretty good. I didn't hit it too hard, didn't have any barkbusters on it. The suspension was a lot better than I thought on the trails. Skid plate, couple of more teeth in the back and bark busters and it will be good.

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 04:04:40 AM »
Rode my 2009 125 SX today. I posted earlier about it.  Bought the bike brand new as a leftover two weeks ago. Twosmoke you asked about the low end. I rode it on a really technical trail, first- and second-gear place with tight trees, logs everywhere, kind of like an endurocross course. It was 100 degrees, too. Most MXers ride this place one time and don't come back.

The 125 has low end. But it's geared tall stock for tight trail work. I had to clutch it some but it got me out of every jam and pulled along pretty good. I didn't hit it too hard, didn't have any barkbusters on it. The suspension was a lot better than I thought on the trails. Skid plate, couple of more teeth in the back and bark busters and it will be good.

thanks for that man, ya obviously its not a trail bike but its nice to know converting wouldn't be too much trouble, as i plan to do it all with this bike

have you noticed anything that you'd change, you found quirky about the bike?

Offline ridered125

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 09:15:09 PM »
Not yet. It's an amazing little bike.

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 03:14:10 AM »
ok guys a little update

i didnt get much done tonight

i finally got some torx sockets from the auto parts store, which allowed me to take the subframe off

i was having some issues with getting the little allen head bolts that hold the plastic guards on, off. i didnt realize they were threaded in there, but then they had a little rubber grommet thing around the actual bolt which held it in place even though you could freely spin the bolt itself. that took me about 15-20 minutes to figure out and finally grab some pliers and pull them out.

i drained the radiator fluid and engine oil, for some reason there are 2 drain holes for the oil, which made draining it an adventure, i only found this out through reading through the manual bc there was no drain bolt on the bottom like so many jap bikes before this one, there is one on each side of the motor

also i wasn't sure about draining the rad fluid, which bolt to drain it from, ended up looking in the manual for it also

while i was taking the chain off, i realized that there was no clip on the masterlink, just the masterlink itself and the base plate link that the clip goes on, its a good thing it hasn't been able to run, or else i might've run it and the chain flies off and crack the case.  :o

i got the subframe/airbox off, frame guards off, drained fluids, and took the chain off tonight

tomorrow when i have more time i will hope to get the radiators off, exhaust off, and once i do that then i'll get the rear wheel, swingarm, shock, and engine off pretty easily, so far there's only been like 4 different size bolts/nuts throughout this entire motorcycle which is pretty cool

then hopefully send engine out once i get motor out, then take wheels/frame/suspension to she shop   ;D

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 04:09:00 AM »
update

got the radiators off without much fuss at all

just 2 bolts on each side, loosen the radiator hoses and they're off pretty easily. one thing i noticed is that the top hose that connects the 2 rad's goes through the frame? i dont know how i'd get it out to change it

got the pipe off, i'm not going to worry about the dents, as they're not big at all, i am going to have it blasted and then painted flat black

as you can tell, there's been a definite lack of care for this bike

got rear wheel off

shock off, it definitely needs a rebuild

swingarm came off easy

carb off, ready to get cleaned

parts packed up, bolts labled and bagged

how she sits now

tomorrow i plan to take engine out, get front end off, take wiring harness off and start cleaning everything up really good
going to make the trip to drop frame off, maybe suspension if the shop can do it, and wheels, then send engine out either thursday or friday

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2012, 10:50:24 PM »
Nice work mate. But you had to drain engine oil? Thats not a good sign :P

It looks like its gonna be a ripper bike with some TLC and time, looking forward to videos :D

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2012, 08:52:25 PM »
Thanks for the pix/documentation! I love this stuff. Have Fun!
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2012, 10:35:34 PM »
Nice work mate. But you had to drain engine oil? Thats not a good sign :P

It looks like its gonna be a ripper bike with some TLC and time, looking forward to videos :D

i think you think i meant strain engine oil, all i did was empty it so its not as heavy when shipped. either way its getting shipped out to get fixed :D

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2012, 10:36:45 PM »
Thanks for the pix/documentation! I love this stuff. Have Fun!

thanks for the kind words! i love it when people do it to, makes the finished project look like that much better i think

i'll keep you updated :D

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 04:12:39 AM »
a little update guys!

got the engine out, crated it up (i say crate loosely) and shipped out it to michael at cycle playground
over the next few days i'm going to start cleaning up the remainder of the bike, and finish taking the bike down to the frame

our works engine crate that will keep the engine nice and safe on its trip to and from