Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: plating or sleeving?  (Read 7044 times)

Offline helfrick15205

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
plating or sleeving?
« on: December 07, 2009, 05:02:40 PM »
my 92 yz250 has a tore up cylinder. not so bad that it cant be replated but i was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages are for both plating and getting a new sleeve. any input would help.

Offline bigbore

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: plating or sleeving?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 06:35:51 PM »
Did the bike come plated new?If so replating is cheaper in the long run.If you plan on keeping the bike you can count on $50-60 a shot to bore/hone to the next oversize every time.With the plating a new piston and ringset is all you need.Sleeving a plated cylinder may have heat transfer issues,maybe not.I'd stick with returning it to stock since it lasted this long.

Recovered

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 07:08:50 PM »
I have yet to figure out why everyone questions plating. I plate cast iron cylinders rather than bore them. Sleeving is very difficult to do, ports almost never match up (without alot of extra work) and I would argue that plating makes a little more H.P. 

Offline helfrick15205

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 07:39:23 PM »
thanks for the input. it was plated when new. money is always a factor and plating sounds cheaper in the long run. both of my 86 yz's are sleeved but i bought them that way. dont have any heat issues with them. the 92 has never been sleeved or replated. i bought off a guy at the track after he blew his head gasket. only paid $300 for it. has new tires new bars and pro action suspension so i thought it was worth it. split the cases and every thing else looks to be in good working condition just needs cylinder fixed and piston and rings.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 07:46:51 PM »
Sounds like a helluva deal!  My Husky ran us $800 and it needed quite a lot done to it.  Nothing as major as a cylinder, but lots and lots and lots of little things.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?