Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: What I do when I can't ride...  (Read 2488 times)

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
What I do when I can't ride...
« on: July 29, 2012, 04:09:06 AM »
When I can't ride (currently waiting for a new kick starter) I always look for ways to make my bike look good. I was wondering today... Can I sand out the factory coating on my swing arm (made of aluminum) and then clear coat it? The only reason I want to do this is so that I can get rid of some scratches and chips in the factory coating. I do NOT want it to oxidize, so if the clear coat wont propery protect it, then I wont touch it. Also sanding it will shine it to an almost mirror finish and I think that would look cool  ;D

PS. If I can do this, I will through up some picks after I get my new graphics and everything should look really new  8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
What I do when I can''t ride...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 04:21:20 AM »
Sure you can, you can polish it like a mirror if you want, it's a lot of work though
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
What I do when I can''''t ride...
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 04:29:58 AM »
Awesome  ;D Last night I got bored after work so I took 3 hours and polished my expansion chamber, brake levers, and tail pipe to a mirror finish and they looked great, so that's where I got this idea from. It should look really good if I get it to where I want it. Thanks man  :)

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
What I do when I can''''''''t ride...
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 02:01:14 AM »
It came out really good. I worked my way up from 180 grit to 1,000. It came out fairly close to mirror finish, but I only did one side. A blister formed on the tip of my thumb and popped while sanding, so I am going to wait for tomorrow to get the other side done. I put 3 coats of clear coat on it to keep it from oxidizing, as I have had bad experience with aluminum doing that before. I am waiting for the clear coat to loose that milky glaze on it and then it should look really good by tomorrow morning. I hope I get my kick starter assembly in soon before I start something else  :o

Its a few hours later, the clear coat dried and it looks like brand new.

Offline msambuco

• Expert
    • View Profile
What I do when I can''''''''''''''''t ride...
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 03:56:14 AM »
Dude, I envy the simplicity of your life. Enjoy it while you can. I want to work on my bike but first I have to run the company, work as an installer due to the economy, work on the boat, fix bs on the house, hang things for my wife, pick up dog shit, worry about the economy, build a set of stairs, fix the AC, clean the garage, wash the camper, load the camper, unload the camper, clean the shit everyone left in the camper, fix the bicycles rusty from rain, fix flats, go to kiddie birthdays......Sorry, went on too long. Really, enjoy this while you can. Life comes at ya fast.
08 373 Fuzion Toyhauler
1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog
A lot of toys
A map and a credit card
A lot of memories no one can take away

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
What I do when I can''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''t ride...
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 04:40:30 AM »
I can partially relate to that, I do have a lot of responcipilities that were thrown into my lap at a young age, complicated family situations made me the man of the house at the age of 14. Now, in addition to school when it starts up again, I have to work to pay for my own bills and car and bike parts, take care of the house and yard, keep it clean for family members, and I am also dealing with a faulty AC unit as well  :-X Of course I know that this is nothing compared to the future which is why I do try and live it up while I can. I do enjoy having free time, and filling it with riding or making things look better is what I preffer to do  ;D

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
Dude, I envy the simplicity of your life. Enjoy it while you can. I want to work on my bike but first I have to run the company, work as an installer due to the economy, work on the boat, fix bs on the house, hang things for my wife, pick up dog shit, worry about the economy, build a set of stairs, fix the AC, clean the garage, wash the camper, load the camper, unload the camper, clean the shit everyone left in the camper, fix the bicycles rusty from rain, fix flats, go to kiddie birthdays......Sorry, went on too long. Really, enjoy this while you can. Life comes at ya fast.

Life sucks....... then you ride!   ;D
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline msambuco

• Expert
    • View Profile
FYI, I am not complaining. It's a volunteer program I joined.
08 373 Fuzion Toyhauler
1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog
A lot of toys
A map and a credit card
A lot of memories no one can take away