Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Has anyone else noticed the price of used dirt bikes? (at least here in the US)  (Read 2791 times)

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
I was browsing some of the used dirt bike sites in the US and found 05-06 bikes going for over $3,000  :o Back when I was in the market for a bike, maybe about four or five years ago, those bikes might have been $2,000 max... Whats the reason for this inflation? I mean they are still cheap compared to thier four stroke counterparts, but seriously.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
Upon more research, I found multiple 90's YZ 250s that were going for $1,200-$1,400  :o I offered a guy that for a 2003 RM250 a WHILE ago... Man how times have changed.

Offline dbf498

• Novice
    • View Profile
Well here are two thoughts on this:

One...Schleps who buy two strokes, at a cheap price, to quick turn them for a fast buck betting on the demand to increase.

Two...Those folks who are up to their eyeballs in debt knowing that someone will come by and try to talk 'em down in price.

I'm sure there are others but these are what I'm thinking the main drivers are.

Offline beaner

• Junior
    • View Profile
I was browsing some of the used dirt bike sites in the US and found 05-06 bikes going for over $3,000 

What makes you think they're actually selling for that? I look a bikes for sale every day, and see the same thing. I also see the same bikes for sale every day because they're asking too much.

2 months ago there was a really nice 08 Husky 144 with $$ suspension and pipe for sale. He was asking $2500. I thought it looked like a good deal, and was interested, but was waiting for a deposit back on another deal that didn't work out. The bike sold in about a month.  The guy who bought it re-listed it the next day for $3500 and now he's getting pissed that he can't sell it, and every body is offering him $2000.
Ontario, Canada

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Summer demand and an improving economy. Prices will go down in Winter.

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
What makes you think they're actually selling for that?
Youtube videos (I know not the best support) that have the SOLD for .... in the video description. All I was saying was that what people are asking for are way over what I last saw.

Also, weren't people concerned about low ball offers five or so years ago just as well? I'm no economist or anything, but it just seemed way over what I was used to seeing.

Summer does drvie up the prices, I wasn't thinking about that either. I remember browsing Ebay and CL and all local papers and stuff and seeing 90's bikes at like $900 in great shape and even 00 and up a few years for $1,000-$1,500 over the winter the summer after I out grew my YZ85.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
Lottery sales dude, they really aren't worth those prices. If the bikes are clean and low hour an 05-07 would be worth $2000-$3000(Cr125/250 KX125/250 RM 125/250).  Right now there is a full blown recession in the midst world wide and since money is tight people are going to try and get what they paid originally for the bike. These bikes will continue to sit, ha.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline motoxr377

• Junior
  • RM GUY
    • View Profile
Summer demand and an improving economy. Prices will go down in Winter.

x2