Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Is This the future of dirt bikes?  (Read 13540 times)

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
Is This the future of dirt bikes?
« on: July 12, 2012, 07:43:28 AM »
http://www.ktm.com/freeride/freeride-e/highlights.html#.T__DR_XN10s

KTM just hit an all time LOW in my opinion. While it might appeal to some people, that is the stupidest form of dirtbike I have ever seen in my entire life. I would rather have a 250F than that. Honestly... an electric DIRT BIKE? Touring bike I can understand, even sport bike I could go with... But this is lame. A skinny hobo would have a better chance of selling me a quantum fueled dirt bike.

Whats everyone elses opinion? and Hey, for those of you that were against FI/DI? Hows it look now?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:41:33 AM »
give it 10 years, they will be quicker that 2 and 4 strokes and have better 'gas millage'

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 10:19:57 AM »
HAH! funny cos its true. To be fair, My old man hired out one of those toyota electric cars. It was pretty damned decent. Quiet as anything it was crazy. Still had decent grunt though. BUT! I also read today in Newscientist.... It might've been discover magazine. Anyway a couple of engineers at MIT developed a sort of 'organic battery'. I can't remember the specifics but one that was the size of about 20 atoms but had 10 times the efficiency and power of a standard AAA battery. Fill a car battery with these minibatteries and you'd be able to power Brisbane city or new york city for years I reckon. Anyway my point is that the future of cars may very well be powered only on electricity, I wonder where motocross will go?

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 12:37:34 PM »
The future IMO is batteryless electric vehicles which are wifi powered. Tesla worked out how to do this over a century ago and powered his entire workshop. Unfortunatelywestinghouse hated the idea of free unregulated energy so crushed his working idea.

100 years late hp are just working it out again but it's no where near as good as it used to be with tesla

Did I trip u out?

Offline Blop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 12:39:58 PM »
Ive tested Zero crossbike, I would say it felt like riding a bicycle.
with better frame and components, more power and longer ride time it would be ok

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 01:16:36 PM »
I remember reading an article from David Pingree a while back, and he made a couple great points.  Sound is part of the appeal of motocross, if it goes to all electric, attendance for pro events will fall dramatically.  Even worse, even at local events, with no sound from the bikes, what about when a rider goes down and breaks his leg or something like that.  Do the spectators really want to hear him screaming in pain?  The sound of the other bikes drowns that out now....

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 02:35:25 PM »
Must be a market for electric dirt bikes otherwise KTM wouldn't have built the thing.

Offline juliend

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 03:06:20 PM »
So I spent quite a while addicted to RC. Haven't been into it in a while, but my favorite thing to do was take an 8th scale nitro chassis and convert it to brushless electric. I would certainly ride an electric bike. I'd still want my 2t's of course, but it would be awesome to have an electric for zipping around my property. All the power, all the time. One of my buddies works at a golf car shop. They do a lot of AC conversions there. 1,500+ amp controllers and huge battery arrays. Really cool, and some of those carts are STUPID fast.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 04:10:04 PM »
Batteries are not the way of the future. Sorry.  Battery cars are currently failing hugely even with government aid. Tesla(Electric Lotus Elise, Government funded) just went under and is no more. The problem with electricity unless tapped from the Air as Tesla intended, there isn't enough to revolutionize the motorized world. Where does electricity come from? Coal, Natural Gas, Damaging Dams, Nuclear Power Plants(Despite human error it could be the greenest form of energy possible , even without the use of Helium 3 AKA Cold Fusion), etc., all of which produce more electricity than turbines or Solar panels could ever hope of equaling. Everyone wants clean energy, problem is that it doesn't exist. Going green is BS.

Also, Battery power = HEAVY... Especially if you want more than 30 minutes of ride time...

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline Shawn36

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 04:27:45 PM »
Batteries are not the way of the future. Sorry.  Battery cars are currently failing hugely even with government aid. Tesla(Electric Lotus Elise, Government funded) just went under and is no more. The problem with electricity unless tapped from the Air as Tesla intended, there isn't enough to revolutionize the motorized world. Where does electricity come from? Coal, Natural Gas, Damaging Dams, Nuclear Power Plants(Despite human error it could be the greenest form of energy possible , even without the use of Helium 3 AKA Cold Fusion), etc., all of which produce more electricity than turbines or Solar panels could ever hope of equaling. Everyone wants clean energy, problem is that it doesn't exist. Going green is BS.

Also, Battery power = HEAVY... Especially if you want more than 30 minutes of ride time...

I think Tesla would be surprised to hear they're out of business considering they just came out with a new line of cars.

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Offline factoryX

• Professional
    • View Profile

Offline streaks383

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 05:35:07 PM »
I think it is the future of motocross.  People who ride them now have good things to say about them and at this point they are only concept vehicles and first designs.  Imagine riding on of the first dedicated motocross bikes in the early 70's and then look where they are now.  With development they could be great.  I for one will be embarrassed as I talk to myself, yell in terror and often sing while riding. 

When gas prices hit 5 a gallon would you ride an electric bike, how about 7, how about 10?  Most will make the switch, some will make it and wish they could be riding (insert favorite bike here), some will not do it ever, all will miss the noise.

Besides all that my degree is in Environment and Natural Resources, so I am only a few clicks away from the outspoken save the planet people anyways.

Electric bikes, as a person with absolutely no authority I give you have my blessing!

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 08:47:41 PM »
It may be the future of motocross but not for a LONG time. That's just a concept bike, not one they have built yet. People would have to want them, which some might, but for now until they make lighter and better batteries, not many people will want them, thus crushing the market for them. Maybe in a long time they will be "humming?" around on these things, but probably not anytime soon.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 10:46:36 PM »
I would have one.
But I would put clickers in the spokes, A chopper flag and a bicycle bell on it and I would be the coolest kid on my street. ;)
And I would ride around yelling Ring ding ding ding ding. :P
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline factoryX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 11:47:51 PM »
 ;D