Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: motocross helmet??  (Read 5364 times)

Offline bonnieperez

• View Profile
motocross helmet??
« on: July 05, 2012, 03:26:59 AM »
So I am planning to get into motocross like my brother did but still he is amateur. So any suggestion of high performance motocross helmet when it comes to safety and protection? I heard that these helmets are not like any ordinary helmet. My brother said I should get any helmet that fits my head but I want opinions of experts. What do you think?? :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline mx graphics

• View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 03:34:52 AM »
I would recommend going to a shop and trying on the helmets to make sure the one you want fits you. Also stay away from the helmets that are cheap because it may not help as much in a crash.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 07:58:32 AM »
x2 on the above.
Buy at least a mid price helmet. The more you pay the better the helmet.
You MUST try on the helmet as every brand fits differently as every one has a different shaped head.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 11:14:57 AM »
I have been having good luck with Fly brand helmets the last few years. I have an older Fly Kevlar MX and just this past spring bought a Fly Trekker for my dualsport riding. They fit my head shape well.

Bell (I think it was Bell) used to have an add back in the day that read something like: "If you have a $20 head, wear a $20 helmet.".
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Kembo693

• Junior
    • View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 12:08:42 PM »
If you are ready to pay a little more for a helmet, I'd go with Shoei or Arai. Recently bought Shoei, and it's just excellent helmet. Fits like it's made for me, and I can be 100% sure that it is a top of the line helmet. It also makes me trust the helmet a little bit more when it comes from a company that makes helmets only. There is for sure another great helmets out there, Fox and Fly for example to name a few.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 01:42:47 PM »
Bell (I think it was Bell) used to have an add back in the day that read something like: "If you have a $20 head, wear a $20 helmet.".

But Coop, since my head is only worth $20, when you add in the rest of me, I'm $100 in the red...  damn...   :o
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline beaner

• Junior
    • View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 02:01:14 PM »
x2 on the above.
Buy at least a mid price helmet. The more you pay the better the helmet.

This has been proven wrong many times over the years. In fact, what is probably the most popular and widely linked of the big helmet tests proves that the best of the helmets tested were also some of the cheapest. As long as you buy a DOT  or ECE approved helmet, you'll be fine.

Definitely try it on before you put your money down.
I'm partial to Gmax helmets
Ontario, Canada

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 02:55:39 PM »
When you buy your helmet, buy your goggles at the same time, try them on with the helmet you intend on buying. Nothing worse than goggles that don't fit the helmet. Shoei, Arai, Bell are all really nice lids I think...
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline motoman356

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 07:37:26 AM »
first thing to look for is if its SNELL approved. they have higher standards than DOT. thats not to say a DOT helmet isnt good. if you have an unlimited budget go for  an ARAI helmet. these are by far the most comfortable and best fitting. Shoei is up there also. and there is a slew of helmets in between

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 08:24:12 AM »
Welcome to the forum mate.

I've been using this RXT helmet for 5 years now. Through that time I have been flung 2 metres into rock ground, endoed so hard that I did a full flip in the air and landed flat on the ground and dozens upon dozens of other stacks that I can't even remember. Oh yeah I highsided at around 60 kp/h. I've earned 7 concussions while using this helmet. I absolutely SWEAR by this helmet it is the real deal and saved my life atleast once. I can definitely vouch for RXT but I'm not even sure if they're still in business. It was a mid price helmet and its only starting to loose its charm now. Bell helmets are good too, been around for a while. Shoei are expensive, but from what I've read, they're worth it.

My word? Buy something that fits you well and is suitable to both your budget and skill level. And from my experience, when you're starting to get better at riding is the most dangerous time because you're trying new stuff and being faster at it. If you buy something expensive now you wont need to buy another later, unless you're growing still or get in a serious accident.

Good luck mate, hope you find a good one.

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 11:41:34 AM »
Welcome to the forum mate.

I've been using this RXT helmet for 5 years now. Through that time I have been flung 2 metres into rock ground, endoed so hard that I did a full flip in the air and landed flat on the ground and dozens upon dozens of other stacks that I can't even remember. Oh yeah I highsided at around 60 kp/h. I've earned 7 concussions while using this helmet. I absolutely SWEAR by this helmet it is the real deal and saved my life atleast once. I can definitely vouch for RXT but I'm not even sure if they're still in business. It was a mid price helmet and its only starting to loose its charm now. Bell helmets are good too, been around for a while. Shoei are expensive, but from what I've read, they're worth it.

My word? Buy something that fits you well and is suitable to both your budget and skill level. And from my experience, when you're starting to get better at riding is the most dangerous time because you're trying new stuff and being faster at it. If you buy something expensive now you wont need to buy another later, unless you're growing still or get in a serious accident.

Good luck mate, hope you find a good one.

You should have changed that helmet 6 concussions ago. Helmets are only ment for one big hit, the foam compresses and they are not protecting your head properly after that. I went through 3 helmets in about 3 months once because i kept coming off and smacking my head, it got to the point where the doctor said if i had anymore hits to the head in the near future i could do some serious damage.

As for helmets, all helmets must meet certain standards, some only just scrape in, some exceed them. I have had good luck with agv in the past and i am currently wearing an M2R, it has good venting and fits my head well and is also pretty light. Go for the one that fits you the best, when you crash the helmet that is the best fitting will give you the best protection

Offline msmola2002

• Expert
    • View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 12:38:23 PM »

You should have changed that helmet 6 concussions ago. Helmets are only ment for one big hit, the foam compresses and they are not protecting your head properly after that.

+1, you may not have had all those concussions with a decent skid lid.

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 12:59:55 PM »
Only one of those concussions was a major one and that was 2 of them ago I think. I'm not dead yet, I'll have time to swap gear when I am. Skid lid... hahaha I love that phrase.

Offline beaner

• Junior
    • View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 01:06:15 PM »
first thing to look for is if its SNELL approved. they have higher standards than DOT. thats not to say a DOT helmet isnt good.

The latest/newest SNELL standards have been changed to be more like the DOT standards. I would not buy an older SNELL rated helmet (that are still in stores). They are generally considered to be inferior protection compared to a DOT helmet.

As long as the standards are met, price is not important. More money typically buys more comfort, quietness, options, name and bling
Ontario, Canada

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
motocross helmet??
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 02:40:33 PM »
You should have changed that helmet 6 concussions ago. Helmets are only ment for one big hit, the foam compresses and they are not protecting your head properly after that
Really?  :o Looks like I should be in the market for a new helmet  :-X