Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: This should end the HP debate once and for all  (Read 2924 times)

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
This should end the HP debate once and for all
« on: May 10, 2012, 10:23:14 PM »
MXA put all the major 250's(and a 150) on the same dyno on the same day under the same conditions. All dyno's are different and the same dyno can give different results on different days depending on conditions but MXA did all they could to keep things consistant. So this should end the "the ktm 250sx makes 53 hp and the 250 four strokes top out at 35 hp" arguments. I think this should be used for the basis of HP figures from now on

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/2012-250-DYNO-SHOOTOUT-HOW-MUCH-HORSEPOWER-DO-THE-8915.aspx
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Recovered

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 01:08:02 AM »
so...the KX250F doesn't come within 10hp of the 250SX, after all.

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 03:31:54 AM »
Nope, but its interesting to see how they all stack up in the most consistent way possible

Offline Shawn36

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 03:46:52 AM »
Did someone actually argue that a 250F had more horsepower than a 250 2-stroke? I've never seen anyone make that claim.  Its interesting that the KTM makes more power than a stock CRF450. 

Offline snook620

• Professional
  • weekend warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 05:24:09 AM »
Peak horsepower isnt everything.

2000 YZ 125 under construction

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 05:54:13 AM »
Peak horsepower isnt everything.

It isn't everything, but it sure is nice to have extra ponies  ;D
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 06:40:31 AM »
Did someone actually argue that a 250F had more horsepower than a 250 2-stroke? I've never seen anyone make that claim.  Its interesting that the KTM makes more power than a stock CRF450.
Nope but there is always people exaggerating power figures, usually low for 250f's and high for 250sx. its good to finally see them all lined up and tested properly.

Power isnt everything, look at the KTM 150, has one of the highest peak figures but is one of the lowest at the majority of the rev ranges and it takes a skilled rider to get the most out of it

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 09:47:32 AM »
And if ya want more hp, twist the throttle further n hold it there longer, for most of us here hp wont make stuff all difference to our speed, certain bikes suit individuals differently
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline Suzuki TS250/185

• Expert
  • No Thanks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 09:48:01 AM »
Every true stroker rider knows how to stay on the pipe. It's instinctive. You don't really think about it, you just do it.

My first bike ever was an XR... And the I remember that when I left that tugboat leaning against a tree and took out my CR for the first time, there were some new things to learn about riding. Having to work with the motor in a different way, and use the transmission the right way to stay balanced on the strongest part of that wave of power... It's a more textured and complex experience riding a 2 Stroke, but when you start to learn to do it the benefits are unbelievable. 

Bart Buttfart of American Fonda would quikly point out that the advantage of a 4 stonk is that any mushy-butt foopster who can climb on can ride it without marking his panties... It's easy and not very challenging, and equally short on thrills.

Boring, easy to ride, hmmmmm....

Then again, most fat girls'll do ya pretty easy too...   
I think 4 stroke dirtbikes are a phase, kind of like "Glam Rock" in a way. You see the whole world subscribing to it, and you wonder how everyone could be choking down so much Kool Aid and Spam... Then 10 Years later, nothing's left but the timeless stuff from before and after..

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 09:53:27 AM »
Every true stroker rider knows how to stay on the pipe. It's instinctive. You don't really think about it, you just do it.

My first bike ever was an XR... And the I remember that when I left that tugboat leaning against a tree and took out my CR for the first time, there were some new things to learn about riding. Having to work with the motor in a different way, and use the transmission the right way to stay balanced on the strongest part of that wave of power... It's a more textured and complex experience riding a 2 Stroke, but when you start to learn to do it the benefits are unbelievable. 

Bart Buttfart of American Fonda would quikly point out that the advantage of a 4 stonk is that any mushy-butt foopster who can climb on can ride it without marking his panties... It's easy and not very challenging, and equally short on thrills.

Hahaha Bart Buttfart haha, gold!! I love it :D :D

05 CR 250

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 12:17:04 PM »
I DID point out in another thread somewhere that the 250Fs were miles behind the 250SX. I still think KTM can squeeze 450 grade horsepower out of that beast...

Basically what i would've said for the first part. But there ARE advantages to the 4 stroke engine... Farm work for example. You don't want to be wringing an engines neck to check fence posts. A nice low revving four stroke bike that can lug along and maintain consistent power is ideal.

But if its racing time, a 4 stroke engine is a joke. Plain and simple. Some might say ooh but they're way easier to ride. I say yeah... I used to think like that... Then my vagina transformed into balls

Offline Shawn36

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 12:40:59 PM »
There's 450-like horsepower numbers in every 250.  The factories were making close to 60hp on their bikes in race trim.  The power is there if you're willing to spend the money and live with short engine life. 

I know it's trendy to hammer on 4-strokes but in my opinion no bike is "easy to ride".  It's takes skill to maneuver anything (even an electric bike which in all likelihood is where this sport will end up if it intends on surviving) around a MX track with aggression and speed.  And from what I've seen if you can do it on one type of bike you're capable on any other kind, displacement and strokes aside.  The reason I love this sport is because it comes down to you.  This is one of the only motorsports on Earth where the size of your pocketbook is NOT a direct correlation to your relative speed on the track.  Even in motorcycle road racing a bad bike means a bad finish no matter how good you are.  In MX a bad bike simply means you have to work a little harder. 

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 01:23:27 PM »
Absolutely. No bike is 'easy' to ride by a long shot, well theres always my XR100R that I can literally start with my hand. Yes I take an awful lot of piss out of the four strokes, but at the end of the day, a half hour moto on one of those, while not as challenging as a 250 smoker, is still one big ass workout that not many people can pull off. half an hour usually turns into about 35 minutes depending on the track once the 2 laps comes down. What im saying is they're easy-ER to ride, yes im aware that is not the correct spelling but it looked weird saying easiER.

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 03:52:38 PM »
Shawn36, hit the nail on the head.

When choosing a bike hp figures are the last thing I think of if at all. It could have 30 hp or 70 I wont go faster than what I can ride the bloody thing!!!

05 CR 250

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 08:54:37 AM »
Yeah I agree. Unless you're an extremely high level racer its unlikely you're going to use ALL of that horsepower. Well the 125 might get really rung out but the 250s? my 01 YZ 250 scares the dick off me once it gets hyped up. It just wants to go and go and go... and go it does ;D My point was actually bone stock horsepower by the way, no money spent
But seriously, the average person wont use a 250 smokers peak horsepower. For starters having, in the 2012 250SX's case, 50 PEAK horsepower at the back wheel is just ridiculous, some TRACTOR engines don't pump out that. Not to mention you'll only use that peak number if you're good enough with the clutch to keep it at precisely 9000 RPM or whatever. Now yeah higher level racers probably get full use out of the engine but theres really not many people on here that ride at high levels (and i mean pro and sub pro kind of high).