Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Lost another track...  (Read 3203 times)

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
Lost another track...
« on: March 16, 2010, 01:04:57 PM »
The MX series I started racing back in '06 after 20 years away from the sport is not doing too well.  It is the Maine Motocross Series, and 4 years ago had 5 different tracks and great rider turnouts.  I just found out that my favorite out of them all is closing, after 2 others have also closed in the last 2 years - that leaves us with 2 tracks!!  I know the economy has a lot to do with it, but if anyone thinks that the cost of racing a 4 stroke does not hurt the sport, they are nuts.  The tracks are losing money hand-over-fist with the low rider turnout each weekend, and I am sure that a lot of racers don't show up because their bikes need repairs they just can't afford.  I wonder how many racers are just not even going to get their numbers this year to only race 2 tracks??  Sad state of affairs....

Offline tripleduh

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Lost another track...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 06:23:02 PM »
I feel your pain.I live in Las Vegas....ZERO motocross tracks . Nearest one is 40 miles away.The desert gets pretty boring,same everywhere.Hot and dusty.

Offline Paul P

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 06:24:37 PM »
WoW, it's been 30 or so years since I raced Waterboro, Maine, but I know that left us not long after my last time there in the early 80's. That was one of my favorite tracks along with Pepperell, Southwick, and Ludlow. We had quite a few tracks in the 70's and 80's that are not around now. Lanesboro, Monson, Pine Top, and there were twice as many in the 60's!
     I remember going to Southwick to race the 250 Expert class with my new 78 250 Maico and having to ride two qualifiers because there were 112 riders signed up for that class alone!!!  There used to be 6 heats of 125 novices because 350 novice 125 riders would show up. I heard there were barely 100 riders total showing at a few Southwick events in the last couple years.
What other tracks were in Maine as of late. I remember Lisbon. If you had your own series it must have been more northern Maine.
 Paul P

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 05:51:07 AM »
Hey Paul,

I loved Waterboro, 2 day weekends on Labor day and Memorial day!!  The big uphill with the jump at the top was great!  I live about 1/2 an hour from where the track was,  Woody got really screwed on that deal!!  There is a track called MX207 in Lyman, just a few minutes from the old Waterboro track.  There is a great facility in Minot, just outside of Lewiston/Auburn called Hemonds with 2 tracks.  These are the only ones left.  Bull Run in Greene/Lewiston closed down 2 years ago, Valley outside of Waterville just closed.  There is a track in Skowhegan that runs their own series, not part of MMS.  I remember the multi-heats in NESC back in the early '80's, finish in the top ten in the first moto or go home.  Not like that anymore.....  Loudon, Brookfield, Pepperell, Lunenberg, Lanesboro, and more all gone.

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 05:52:36 AM »
On a better note, at least the NETRA enduro in Berwick (the start is right down the street from my house) is an AMA National Enduro this year - TV coverage and everything!!

Offline Paul P

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 04:07:18 PM »
I never got the story on what happened to Woody's track. He helped me out big time one day( mid 70's) by brazing a mount on my pipe so I could ride a second moto. I loved that upward sloping start and jumping down the hills to the different levels like ski-jumping.

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 04:50:08 AM »
He was a great guy, let us ride there for free all summer long during the week when I was a teenager in the early '80's.  From what I understand, he took some fill/junk from someone in Massachussets who assured him it was clean and it ended up being hazardous material, and the EPA closed him down and I think they might have even seized the property.  Not sure on all the details, but that is what I heard 20 years ago or so.