Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: New KTM Sportmotorcycle AG?? lol  (Read 5649 times)

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
New KTM Sportmotorcycle AG?? lol
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:41:10 PM »

:-* EFI?DFI??

[edit] KTM two-stroke development
Since the major rule changes in Motocross to make 4-stroke bikes more competitive in motocross and being given a 125 cc 2-stroke to 250 cc 4-stroke advantage the cheaper, simpler 2-stroke bikes have been dying out.

Since other manufacturers have decided to discontinue their 2-stroke models, KTM has continued with creating and improving their 2 stroke models and taking up a very high proportion of the 2-stroke bike market.

KTM has also created a new 2-stroke MX bike with 144 cc to comply with the 2008 AMA motocross class changes. This change has been made to bring back the 2-stroke bikes to encourage more entry to the market as the 2 stroke bikes are cheaper to maintain and repair than the expensive 4-stroke bikes.

Environmental agencies have tried to remove 2-stroke machines because they produce more pollution than 4-strokes. However with newer advances in technology 2-strokes have begun to burn cleaner and pass green sticker standards.

In recent interviews KTM has revealed that they will continue to produce and improve 2-stroke bikes and have already begun looking at EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection). EFI will benefit the 2 stroke bikes because they will become more fuel efficient and will also produce less waste.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 01:21:00 PM by 2smoker »
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: New Ktm??
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 10:09:49 PM »
Where did you find this, I am already so freaking excited about dirt biking, then you show me this, thanks... :)
I'd rather be riding...

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 07:39:09 AM »
I just spotted that yesterday and am trying to find additional information....

It looks like it could be an EFI machine, but at this angle not possible to confirm it. They do look like prototypes and look great....

Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 07:47:34 AM »
That pic has been around.That one is a 125.No one knows if it is efi.It has the new frame and body work but no linkage.From what is being said the new mx bikes will have a linkage.I was talking to a ktm rep at the cherokee national enduro and he told me the offroad bikes will have no linkage.

So it is hard to say just what is going on with that bike just yet.

Offline SubTexel

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 12:04:19 PM »
That pic has been around.That one is a 125.No one knows if it is efi.It has the new frame and body work but no linkage.From what is being said the new mx bikes will have a linkage.I was talking to a ktm rep at the cherokee national enduro and he told me the offroad bikes will have no linkage.

So it is hard to say just what is going on with that bike just yet.

The new 350 they have been testing over @ Glen Helen has linkage, but then the 350 in the 250 mockup frame still retains the old setup. From talking with the KTM guys they said they're moving towards a linkage setup like the big 3. Time will tell I suppose.

I'm not so sure about EFI on 2 strokes, it pushed the cost of 4 strokes up markedly... and added quite a bit of weight. Personally I'd rather stick with carbs, but I suppose to really push the 2 strokes back into mainstream it'll be a necessary evil, but god I hate EFI... I'd rather buy cheap jets instead of a 500 dollar programmer...

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 12:25:42 PM »
Here's another photo of that same bike...

As for the EFI thing, from my understanding the better system is DFI... the rumors that I've heard is that almost all the manufacturers are testing DFI machines....

As I have said before, the only way that I could embrace either fuel injection system on a two-stroke would be based on testing in many different areas. Weight. Complexity. Performance. Ease of use.

The area that the DFI system addresses best is emissions, which would allow a manufacturer to sell machines to off-roaders as well as motocross racers. The area where most mxers are sold!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline metal_miracle

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 12:43:04 PM »
another picture

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: New KTM Sportmotorcycle AG?? lol
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 01:44:06 PM »
Well I still strongly believe the DFI EFI will eliminate the jetting issues that gave 2 strokes bad names. More smoke on some and too lean on others.  So it is maybe a necessary evil.  >:D
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 01:46:05 PM »
Australasian Dirt Bike mag just had an interview with the top brass at KTM in which they stated they where seriously considering assisting Husaberg to create a 2t line up.
Same mag had a pic of David Knight on a very strange looking 300 2t (looks like the 350 4t)
at an extreme enduro event.

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 01:57:41 PM »
My understanding is gonna be that only the mx models are getting the linkage.It would seem that KTM could use the new chassis and plastic with either a linkage or with out.This would confirm what the rep told me about the offroad line not having linkage.

That has been a rumor floating around about husaberg developing a 2t.I think the ktm 65 already has the slanted cylinder so i could see this happening.The video if it is the one i watched with Knight was a ktm 300 but they flipped the footage or something so the exhaust was on the left of the bike etc..

Offline SubTexel

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 01:57:49 PM »
Well I still strongly believe the DFI EFI will eliminate the jetting issues that gave 2 strokes bad names. More smoke on some and too lean on others.  So it is maybe a necessary evil.  >:D

Like I said, I'd much rather spend 2-3 dollars for jets than the 3-500 for a new programmer lol.  :P

All EFI did for 4 stroke was add ~10lbs and 3k to the price tag  :o perfect for OEMs bad for consumers. Zero performance increase, but tons of complexity and cost added.

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 02:04:49 PM »
Like I said, I'd much rather spend 2-3 dollars for jets than the 3-500 for a new programmer lol.  :P

All EFI did for 4 stroke was add ~10lbs and 3k to the price tag  :o perfect for OEMs bad for consumers. Zero performance increase, but tons of complexity and cost added.

Would the 2-3 dollars come with a person who can jet, LOL.  Just jokin. But seriously, that was a major problem.  People didn't know how to jet and 2 strokes run good poorly jetted. Until boom, or too much smoke.
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 12:24:29 PM »
I'd like to see KTM keep the Keihin carbs on the offroad 2-strokes.I have'nt had any major issues with my 08 300xc.I would'nt really mind to much if they tried DI on the 250sx 2t though just to see if it would run any better! I doubt that though!

Offline Chris2T

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 01:29:57 PM »
Taken from an online test of the 2010 KTM 250SX http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/motocross/141_1004_2010_ktm_250_sx_first_impression/index.html

"Thank goodness KTM didn't mess with a good thing. They left the power department alone, and since this is one of the most user-friendly, fun and all-around fast motors to ride, we're happy they kept their hands off. However, with some of the two-stroke development we think we know is coming (think EFI, oil-injection, direct injection), we're anxious to see what's next. And if the four-stroke handling and suspension can make leaps and bounds forward year after year, why can't the non-F line? Maybe it all comes along with a totally new package?"

Wow, i'm anxious too!

Offline rdub934

• Novice
  • What just happened?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 09:54:42 PM »
I am SO pumped. Very exciting to see a major manufacturer out testing a preproduction 2stroke. Good things are definitely coming for the future of 2strokes.

I want to rush out and buy a pumpkin now!  :D