Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: A video for Physics Class  (Read 3902 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
A video for Physics Class
« on: December 05, 2009, 02:52:33 PM »
Toward the end of the last school year, Summer was starting and I was really getting into two-stroke-mania as I was forced to sit in class while the bikes were locked up in the garage, well away from the beautiful riding paradise.  Also at that time, we were given an assignment in Physics to produce a presentation of some sort explaining something related to physics.  Some people covered lightning, one guy talked about sniping and the various factors that affected it (very interesting presentation, actually) and I covered the two-stroke!  Here's the result.  And by the way, I produced this on my computer, which didn't have a video card at the time, so it didn't turn out as well as the other video I made in physics about wings.

Physics of the Ride

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: A video for Physics Class
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 07:59:02 PM »
Very cool video!! An excellent introduction to the inner working of a motocross machine.

"The gas goes through the thingy and the thingy goes up and down...." That was hilarious!

By why didn't you wash the bike before you shot the video? Yuck! All that exhaust drool! LOL
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 08:17:19 PM »
Holy $hit does that bike smoke. :o Good physics presentation also.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 01:44:38 AM »
I didn't wash the bike because it was cold as hell, and it would take YEARS to get that grime off there.  We still need to fix that spot.  It was also in the middle of the riding season and policy is to clean the bikes only between seasons, because there's not much point in polishing it if it's just going to hit the dirt next weekend.

Which reminds me, the 120 does something interesting with it's leakiness.  It leaks a little bit of gear oil right over a spot on the chain, so the chain is always very well lubricated and all we have to do is replace the oil very slightly more often - which is good for everything.

As for the smoke, that was a cold start, so I literally pulled the bike out of the garage, took some pictures, did my redneck thing, gave it a big not-subtle dose of gas and choke to work with, and shot the video.  It gets cleaner after it's been running a while, but I think any carbureted two-stroke should put out some pretty good smoke if it's got enough oil in the gas.  People who run 50:1 are dealing their engines a disservice.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Recovered

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 11:19:15 AM »
I didn't wash the bike because it was cold as hell, and it would take YEARS to get that grime off there.  We still need to fix that spot.  It was also in the middle of the riding season and policy is to clean the bikes only between seasons, because there's not much point in polishing it if it's just going to hit the dirt next weekend.

Which reminds me, the 120 does something interesting with it's leakiness.  It leaks a little bit of gear oil right over a spot on the chain, so the chain is always very well lubricated and all we have to do is replace the oil very slightly more often - which is good for everything.

As for the smoke, that was a cold start, so I literally pulled the bike out of the garage, took some pictures, did my redneck thing, gave it a big not-subtle dose of gas and choke to work with, and shot the video.  It gets cleaner after it's been running a while, but I think any carbureted two-stroke should put out some pretty good smoke if it's got enough oil in the gas.  People who run 50:1 are dealing their engines a disservice.

EXELLENT VIDEO.

But it sure does look like the Madscientist needs to write a book on how to tune a 2 stroke. 50:1 can be a good thing, and a 2 stroke should NEVER EVER smoke when at operating temperature . 

General???

Recovered

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 11:20:14 AM »
I also forgot to remind the kiddies to ALWAYS wear a helmet!! ;D

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 07:39:04 PM »
My helmet was a 15 minute drive away - not gonna happen. ;)

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 06:13:48 AM »
You just forgot it..... right? If you had it with you, it would have been on your head.  ;D
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline motoman465

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 12:01:41 PM »
Great video!  The scary part is I understood what you were saying about gas going in this thingy and this thingy moves up and down! :o  I maybe more Redneck than I thought!