Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: More information for the Maico followers  (Read 2584 times)

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
More information for the Maico followers
« on: December 15, 2011, 03:01:45 PM »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline nom de guerre

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 03:17:39 PM »
thanks for posting Charles... this is the email info that I had received a couple weeks back, plus a little extra. I didn't want to post it, but glad you did. Hopefully it answers some of the questions.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:22:15 PM »
It would be interesting to hear directly from Herr Koestler about this situation.

I wonder why M.I. made the statement (and press releases) that they were the new owners of the Maico brand and that production had been transfered to the U.K. when, in fact, ownership of the trademark still resided in Holland with Brouwer?

Something just doesn't add up here.Why would Brouwer suddenly be concerned about his ownership of the trademark when Koestler had been cranking out Maicos for the last 11 years?

I was at the factory in 1982 and witnessed the dyno testing of the new 83 490 motor.

Offline nom de guerre

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 03:47:34 PM »
I wonder the same thing Sachs... I was told by MI that I was the first one to directly ask what the deal was and that email was sent to me... Herr Kostler has to be aware of the controversy at this point I would think. Perhaps a direct email like the one I sent may "clear" things up? I sent one, so maybe he will respond.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 06:51:31 PM »
Good info Charles.Thanks for posting.That's all it would have taken a year ago for me to let it ride until things get worked out-and to have been a potential customer as well.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 08:14:21 PM »
Good info Charles.Thanks for posting.That's all it would have taken a year ago for me to let it ride until things get worked out-and to have been a potential customer as well.

X2.

It would be interesting to hear directly from Herr Koestler about this situation.
Something just doesn't add up here.Why would Brouwer suddenly be concerned about his ownership of the trademark when Koestler had been cranking out Maicos for the last 11 years?

Yes why. :-
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 06:47:17 AM »

I wonder why M.I. made the statement (and press releases) that they were the new owners of the Maico brand and that production had been transfered to the U.K. when, in fact, ownership of the trademark still resided in Holland with Brouwer?

I was at the factory in 1982 and witnessed the dyno testing of the new 83 490 motor.
Thankyou very much for the info Charles! I wish MI would have told us alot sooner though!? I like Sachs also wonder why MI put a press release out stating that they were the new owners of the Maico brand and I also read on MI's site that for some reason they were NOT allowed to build their Maicos with the original red or red & yellow colored graphics? I don't recall why but I did read something about that on MI's site. I kind of thought MI was buying their Maicos off of Kostler from the beginning but was'nt 100% sure? The last time I looked on Kostlers website he still had Maicos for sale but they were just merely the same bikes from 2000 to 2001 with the BNG's...lol. Sad but true! I was glad to see MI's video of the new 380cc. bike considering that Kostler did'nt have any of the 380's on his website for sale. Back in 2005 I spoke to Herr Kostler over the phone & he basically told me in broken english that they stopped building the 380's due to engine problems and @ that time I was interested in a Maico-500 or 380 enduro bike but Herr basically told me if I was going to order one to get one without the lights & blinkers due to the extreme cost of shipping those to the U.S.?$!)<:...And then he basically told me to call back the next day when his brother would be there because he can understand english better. I never called back @ that time due to financial reasons but @ the time was just checking on the prices & shipping cost from Germany..... :o  :(   ???

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 03:07:25 PM »
Not only is Koestler manufacturing Maicos, Maico Only (250 and 490 S1s) and Wulfsport (RV490) are making some trick vintage/evolution class Maicos.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 03:11:38 PM »
It still sort of sounds like a bit of a mess.Just back away slowly........ :D

Offline nom de guerre

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 03:50:08 PM »
makes the yz look better all the time eh ford?...

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 06:57:23 PM »
I agree 8) ...and so do Sachs and TMKIWI  ;D

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 01:04:02 AM »
I am no lawyer, But wouldn't it be relatively easy to do a search on who if anyone holds the rights to a name or trademark.?
I can do one right now for a small fee on any registered company/Trademark in NZ or OZ. 8)
Or is Europe abit harder.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Bioflex

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 11:52:55 AM »
Many thanks for the info, Charles.

Please pass our appreciation onto MI for keeping us in the loop too. While the whole situation is obviously very complicated (hence why we haven't been told of anything for ages) it is great they are now clearing all of this up.