Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Maybe I do want a four-stroke....  (Read 4230 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Maybe I do want a four-stroke....
« on: February 27, 2010, 08:32:51 AM »

:P :P :P
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Suzuki TS250/185

• Expert
  • No Thanks
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe I do want a four-stroke....
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 10:40:40 AM »
Hey John,

That's frick'n PRICELESS!!!

Is this a sneak peek at next month's Transworld Motocross cover shot?

Can I guess at some of the copy?

"Novice/Beginner riders will really like the new, turn-friendly  42" Mower Deck and back-up beeper on the new YZF, but this bike still has plenty to offer to the faster classes as well. As part of the upgrade package for 2010, the purple anodized mulcher attachment now has dual selectable spreading rollers that the rider can program via a flashing button on the handle bar!... The cylinder leans back! The gas tank is in the air box!"

Thanks!

Jim

I think 4 stroke dirtbikes are a phase, kind of like "Glam Rock" in a way. You see the whole world subscribing to it, and you wonder how everyone could be choking down so much Kool Aid and Spam... Then 10 Years later, nothing's left but the timeless stuff from before and after..

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 11:00:31 AM »
Actually, they have lawnmower races and something tells me that thing would do well on a track that's not so tight.  Some of the racers get very competitive on their mower, and some of them manage to get the front wheels in the air coming out of a turn.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 01:14:31 PM »
Hey John,

That's frick'n PRICELESS!!!

Is this a sneak peek at next month's Transworld Motocross cover shot?

Can I guess at some of the copy?

"Novice/Beginner riders will really like the new, turn-friendly  42" Mower Deck and back-up beeper on the new YZF, but this bike still has plenty to offer to the faster classes as well. As part of the upgrade package for 2010, the purple anodized mulcher attachment now has dual selectable spreading rollers that the rider can program via a flashing button on the handle bar!... The cylinder leans back! The gas tank is in the air box!"

Thanks!

Jim

Jim

You forgot this quote from the editor....

"Even though the new Green Bandit is 300lbs heavier than the competition, it feels so light!! We feel it's worlds better that those vintage weed wackers!!"

;D ;D ;D
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 03:07:19 PM »
My dad used to make lawnmowers out of old dirt bike engines.  You could go through a field of really tall grass with one of those things running at full tilt and they'd just mow.  Of course, this is one of those tall tales from before I was born, so who knows how much of that really happened, but it's an interesting concept.  I'd love to have a 250cc two-stroke lawnmower.  It'd be a lot better than that heavy, hard-starting 175cc four-stroke turd we have now.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Helmut Clasen

• Intermediate
  • Helmut Clasen
    • View Profile
    • 50 years of 2 wheel sporting
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 07:18:53 AM »
My dad used to make lawnmowers out of old dirt bike engines.  You could go through a field of really tall grass with one of those things running at full tilt and they'd just mow.  Of course, this is one of those tall tales from before I was born, so who knows how much of that really happened, but it's an interesting concept.  I'd love to have a 250cc two-stroke lawnmower.  It'd be a lot better than that heavy, hard-starting 175cc four-stroke turd we have now.

As a former Hercules Sachs dealer I received from our Importer once a few WANKEL lawnmower engines.
I installed one on an old deck and holy cow did that thing mowe gras at any hights.
The torque of that Wankel cut anything in his way save small trees. ;D
Two of this engines I sold to a high school teacher who installed them into his homebuild hangglider.
Yes,he is still alive. :o :D

3xSACHS MC-GS 250 1977
1xHercules GS 250  1976
1xHercules GS 350  1976
1xCan-Am 175 TNT 1975
1xZuendapp GS 125 19072-73
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
http://picasaweb.google.com/vindurospeedy

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 11:04:41 AM »
The old two stroke Lawnboys were the best,flip 'em over,pull off the muffler and ram a drill through the exhaust ports - instant port job. Remove the govenor(I did'nt say that) and go mowing.You had to wear full protective gear and the mower would shoot rooster tails of grass 30 feet in the air.As for Sachs wankels,go to Youtube and listen to the Norton rotary racebikes (2 F & S wankels side by side),it will send chills up your spine.

Offline Helmut Clasen

• Intermediate
  • Helmut Clasen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 04:43:09 PM »
The old two stroke Lawnboys were the best,flip 'em over,pull off the muffler and ram a drill through the exhaust ports - instant port job. Remove the govenor(I did'nt say that) and go mowing.You had to wear full protective gear and the mower would shoot rooster tails of grass 30 feet in the air.As for Sachs wankels,go to Youtube and listen to the Norton rotary racebikes (2 F & S wankels side by side),it will send chills up your spine.

At the ISDT 1976 in Austria I was able to testride one of the factory Wankel Hercules.
After that test ride I could not sleep anymore.
I wanted one so badly that I had paid (almost) any price for one.
The torque and power delivery on the rear wheel ask for 3 RIMLOCKS,or the tire would spin on the rim.
AWESON :P :P :P

3xSACHS MC-GS 250 1977
1xHercules GS 250  1976
1xHercules GS 350  1976
1xCan-Am 175 TNT 1975

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 08:24:55 PM »
Hey, my Husky has two rimlocks on the back.  After having four tubes ripped right off the valve-stem in as many riding seasons, we decided it was time to give it some bawls.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 01:11:51 AM »
OK, I'll come clean, I do own a 4 stroke motorcycle...  It my 08 Yamaha VStar 1100 Silverado...  Its nice for cruising with the wife....  >:D
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline Helmut Clasen

• Intermediate
  • Helmut Clasen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 06:38:15 AM »
Hey, my Husky has two rimlocks on the back.  After having four tubes ripped right off the valve-stem in as many riding seasons, we decided it was time to give it some bawls.

:D   NON of my Vintage bikes 175 to 350 have ANY rimlocks. ;D

You must do something wrong with your wheels????? ::)

3xSACHS MC-GS 250 1977
1xHercules GS 250  1976
1xHercules GS 350  1976
1xCan-Am 175 TNT 1975

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 03:14:23 PM »
We think it's a problem with the rim.  Most old huskies have little tiny things that grip the tube and keep it in place, but this one doesn't.  Maybe some bozo ground them off or something; who knows.  What we do know is that this bike chews through tires like none of the others, and that includes the big gnarly 500 Maico with 60-some horsepower.

Do you feel lucky, punk?