Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: TM 125 Test Impression - John Dowd  (Read 3961 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
TM 125 Test Impression - John Dowd
« on: February 25, 2010, 12:13:43 PM »
In between the Dirt Rider interviews and photo shoots, we had the opportunity to have John Dowd take a spin on the TM125.... Here is his initial impression of the bike...

John Dowd TM 125

What a nice, regular down-to-earth guy... we'll certainly be cheering for him at Southwick this summer!

Go Junk Yard Dog!!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline meger z

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: TM 125 Test Impression - John Dowd
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 02:26:21 PM »
wow thats ace! got to see you in there John ,nice one  :D

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 02:45:32 PM »
Nice to hear someone like Dowd say that they like 2t's and wish they weren't so scarce.Seems like he hesitated for a second to make sure he was politicaly correct in what he said.Dowd and Henry are 2 of the most humble normal and fastest guys ever.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 03:27:42 PM »
Come on John, at least put some Two Stroke Motocross stickers on that little rocket....   :D
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline msambuco

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 04:24:09 PM »
Send small TSM stickers to all the pro's to put on their bikes or helmet in support. Then look for the stickers during the season.
08 373 Fuzion Toyhauler
1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog
A lot of toys
A map and a credit card
A lot of memories no one can take away

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 06:12:15 PM »
One of the questions that Dirt Rider asked before they showed interest in the bike, was is it completely stock? At this level, you've got to be careful about things, like stickers and such.

Obviously when they test the Project Two 50 "Factory" bike, it will have all of our graphics on it. It was more important that they had the opportunity to try the machine. You've got to pick your battles when it comes to what we are doing.

John was just amazingly normal. He joked around with us and his close friend Rich was busting his chops like you can't believe. It was just like hanging out with your buddies at the track. Later Rich told us that John busts his balls as well, you see Rick is a little heavy and John sends him photos of cookies to tease him!

The only difference is that your buddy was a National Champion and finished 3rd at Southwick in 2009 at the age of 44!!

When your at the level that Dowd is, you've got to be careful about what you say, although come on... he was just a regular guy... and so very gracious to us. Thanks JYD!!
Life is short.

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 09:00:36 PM »
I definitely realize that he has to be careful as to how he says things at his level.It was still nice to see how someone at his level enjoyed that exotic 2t 125.2 thumbs up JYD.Will be cheering for you at Southwick this year.

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 09:39:27 PM »
Why is it so important about what you say?! Sorry, I don't get this fully, what is wrong with having some mods done to your bike, look at the factory 450's
I'd rather be riding...

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 09:13:24 AM »
Why is it so important about what you say?! Sorry, I don't get this fully, what is wrong with having some mods done to your bike, look at the factory 450's

The reason folks in his position need to be careful is for a few reasons, mostly because of their sponsors.

Here is a scenario to put it into perspective, a motorcycle company called Booger International sponsors you, which entails giving you free bikes, parts and some cash every few months. Now Booger International wants to sell as many heavy farm tractor like machines to all those out there in TV land, so they depend on you to make sure that at every opportunity, you tell people how great Booger bikes are...

Now someone bring you a machine from Swifty Engineering and asks you to ride it. This is the design that's lightweight, fast and tons of fun... but Swifty is a small company and can't afford to supply a bike deal like Booger.

What do you do?? Either you don't say anything about the Swifty machine or possibly say it's lousy >:D, or you are very careful about what you say about the Swifty.... No reason to get Booger International upset with you to the point that next year they refuse to offer the same deal to you. :o

It has nothing to do with modified machines and everything to do with sales and marketing... Booger wants to stay on top and does not want you to say that the Swifty machine is better then their machine... even if it is.

Hopefully my silly story has helped to explain it so that you understand.
Life is short.

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 11:53:47 AM »
I loved it when John Dowd was blowing through that whoop section on a 125. Just awesome!!!  :P

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 03:10:14 PM »
Good vid.J.D. is a class act for sure.I had to the opportunity to speak to both he and Mike Treadwell at Riverglade when they were running the Canadian series(and buy a couple JYD T's of course)a few years ago.Both very down to earth regular guys.I've been a fan ever since.I can't wait to see him in Southwick this year.
As for you John,if you were thinking you'd photoshop yourself in place of JD on the TM. :D
As for the sponsorship thing,a few years ago when motogp was 5002t's,one of the pepsi suzuki riders(I don't believe it was Schwantz),crashed out and while he was sitting on the wall on the infield,someone passed him a drink.A photographer got a shot of him drinking it in his Pepsi leathers.Unfortunately,it was a Coke and if I remember correctly,he was fired over it.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 08:12:22 PM »

As for you John,if you were thinking you'd photoshop yourself in place of JD on the TM. :D

Nah... I'm not as fast as I once thought I was. :o :o :o

You know, I'm the guy in the background chewing gum... ;D ;D
Life is short.

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 02:18:22 PM »
WOW! No way! John Dowd on a 2 stroke 125cc!!! Bad ass! Cool John! Cannot wait to read what Dirt Rider have to say about the TM! You guys have great facility for the stupid winter!
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.