Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 2 vs 4 results are in  (Read 9740 times)

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: 2 vs 4
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 01:11:39 PM »
I have found in a straight up drag race there is not much between the 2 bikes.
The TM is slightly quicker but I wouldn't say it "smokes" the 450.
Just keeping it real. :)

Vin D in Fast and F...  LOL
"Ask any racer, and real racer.  It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winnings, winning."  Cheers/yelling in background
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline rbigair40

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 05:49:10 PM »
woods bikes and moto bikes arnt the same beast  >:-D

Offline Bioflex

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 02:09:52 AM »
I'd be willing to bet on a plane drag, the 2 stroke woud beat the 450F.  I believe (I could be wrong) the 300 has more hp and less weight. That is all that matters in quarter mile time. 

If drag racing was that simple it would be, but it isn't.
Ability to get the power down, low end and mid range grunt, gearing optomised for peak power then being above peak torque after gear changes, as well as top speed are all major factors.

While I would like to think a 300 2 stroke would beat a 450cc thumper, its certainly more complicated than a basic power vs weight scenario

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 07:26:23 AM »
If you take the emotion out of the equation, there really is only one number that counts for MX. The Torphies Per Dollar ratio.

Depending on the rules in effect two strokes would win on this stat hands down.  For human beings, however, emotion is a big part of deciding which bike to ride. What is more fun? Which one looks cool? What sound do you like? Which has handling characteristics that match your riding style? All those are real and all are personal, no way to quantify or argue about those. But trophies per dollar? hard to argue with that -- even if the bike that wins this stat loses a few drag races.
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline Premixed

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 09:57:22 PM »
You know what it does to 2 strokes but I sure would like to know? I know for a fact that my KTM-300xc will smoke the crap out of these modern 450f 4-strokes!....... 8) ;) 8)

You must have the fastest 300 on the planet. :o
My 300 is only AS quick as a 450.
Maybe I need it tuned. :-X

yea, you need to have one of those "ear" tuners in the EFI thread "listen" to it.  That should be worth a couple HP on the "butt" dyno.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 12:25:14 PM »
yea, you need to have one of those "ear" tuners in the EFI thread "listen" to it.  That should be worth a couple HP on the "butt" dyno.

Thanks for the advise. ;)
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline falston1

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 08:32:36 PM »
My YZ 250 does do pretty well against 450f's.  ;)
06 yz 250, 98 rm 125.......UNC Charlotte!

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 04:19:48 AM »
You know what it does to 2 strokes but I sure would like to know? I know for a fact that my KTM-300xc will smoke the crap out of these modern 450f 4-strokes!....... 8) ;) 8)

You must have the fastest 300 on the planet. :o
My 300 is only AS quick as a 450.
Maybe I need it tuned. :-X
Maybe it's just the guys/kids I've been riding with tmkiwi but I've drag raced a "09" rm-z 450 & a "10" cr-f 450 & beat them both by about 2 bike lengths! When I first got my 300xc the jetting was off pretty bad so I had a friend of mine jet my bike & it's been running great ever since & I will admit when I ride with guys that ride 4-chokes I tend to ride like a maniac & a win @ all cost attitude! I'm a 2t junkie like alot of guys are on TSM & I have to do my best to represent & set an example for the younger riders out there on the pig bikes....lol.... :P

Offline Shawn36

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 10:28:23 AM »
The problem is pure acceleration in a drag race doesn't mean anything on an MX track.  Fast kids on bikes not even half the size and a 1/4 the horsepower can still pass and run away from most vet riders.  That's what makes moto the greatest racing sport on Earth to me, your chances aren't defined by how much money is put into your bike.  It's almost entirely skill based. 

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 11:41:14 PM »
The problem is pure acceleration in a drag race doesn't mean anything on an MX track.  Fast kids on bikes not even half the size and a 1/4 the horsepower can still pass and run away from most vet riders.  That's what makes moto the greatest racing sport on Earth to me, your chances aren't defined by how much money is put into your bike.  It's almost entirely skill based. 
You're absolutely right about that Shawn36. MX is entirely skill based. I just wish more of the great young MX'ers out there would embrace the 2 strokes & give them a chance....and then I think we would start to see the smokers up on the podium where I believe they belong.... ;)

Offline Premixed

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 12:06:50 AM »
the problem is you average 15 year old motocrosser is a brainwashed youtube addict with A.D.D. who chews on his leatt brace between motos.  seriously. look around in the pits.  most of us probably werent better but back in teh 80s-90s there was no choice of bikes i guess.

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 12:20:48 AM »
Hey man my Leatt is fine.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline rbigair40

• Junior
    • View Profile
Re: 2 vs 4 results are in
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2011, 03:23:47 PM »
I raced a midsouth harescramble today on my xc250 ,first time ridin it in the wood only rode in the back yard. I loved it way better then my 250f , it didnt want to stall as bad ,tons of roll on power and low end chug! the suspension was bad but i can work that out havent did any thing to it . i have a couple big blisters from the new renthal slims i but on, i will be changing them cutting 1'' off each side of the bars and find tuning the suspension . WHAT A AWESOME BIKE also won class 40a and went 11th overall .But i will still take up for thumpers because i ride both :P

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 08:24:27 PM »
Maybe it's just the guys/kids I've been riding with tmkiwi but I've drag raced a "09" rm-z 450 & a "10" cr-f 450 & beat them both by about 2 bike lengths! When I first got my 300xc the jetting was off pretty bad so I had a friend of mine jet my bike & it's been running great ever since & I will admit when I ride with guys that ride 4-chokes I tend to ride like a maniac & a win @ all cost attitude! I'm a 2t junkie like alot of guys are on TSM & I have to do my best to represent & set an example for the younger riders out there on the pig bikes....lol.... :P

I was pulling your chain maicoman. I know how quick 300's are. ;D
I think we just have a different interpretation of the word "smoked".
Gearing makes a big difference as well. I do a few flat track meetings and I have to remember to gear my bike down.( I don't).
On the straights I don't get out of 4th gear so I know the bike will excellerate quicker if I gear it down.
Luckerly the TM has good over rev.
If you can get the power down soon enough out of corners it will pull a 450 ok. ;D
I just wouldn't call it "smoked". Maybe beat or embarrass. ;)
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2011, 03:09:32 PM »

I was pulling your chain maicoman. I know how quick 300's are. ;D
I think we just have a different interpretation of the word "smoked".
Gearing makes a big difference as well. I do a few flat track meetings and I have to remember to gear my bike down.( I don't).
On the straights I don't get out of 4th gear so I know the bike will excellerate quicker if I gear it down.
Luckerly the TM has good over rev.
If you can get the power down soon enough out of corners it will pull a 450 ok. ;D
I just wouldn't call it "smoked". Maybe beat or embarrass. ;)
Well ok maybe "smoked" is a bit too strong of a word for only a 2 bike length win but it sure felt like I smoked those 450 chokers!...... ;)