Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Enter Vintage Era  (Read 5855 times)

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
Enter Vintage Era
« on: August 29, 2011, 01:11:57 AM »
Hey all,
Been round these traps for quite a while, but had become disenchanted lately with the sport of motocross, and some of my posts probably reflected that. Having been seriously hurt, spent many months on the couch last year, and tracks round where I live being forced to close down, as well as the escalating costs of racing now that I am no longer working within the motorcycle industry, I had pretty much given up. I had stopped watching the racing on TV, but went down to one of the local races to check out a few mates who were racing. After watching for about an hour, I definitely wasn't missing racing at all, and this was further re-instated when two other mates that I hadn't spoken to in a few weeks were both in plaster. My bikes and gear were sold, and I was looking for a new hobby. 
Anyway, sitting in the back of my shed is an '82 model YZ125J that I have had for about a year. I have been reinvigorated this past weekend, as I decided to put a spanner to what is essentially an original, unmolested example of a YZ125J. After some fresh fuel, a change of the gear box oil, and a drain of the float bowl, she kicked over and ran after about 8 kicks. I am going to need a few things, and have ordered some parts, but I think I will be spending some more time around here again. I am excited as the scene looks great, and to watch all these old bikes going around again on some awesome tracks that are raced on, it really goes back to what motocross is all about. Great bikes, great atmosphere, great tracks, and some amazing sounds from both small bore and big bore two strokes being ridden wide open. Already been looking at what I can buy for my second bike. I hope things dont spiral out of control !!      ;D     ;D     ;D
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Enter Vintage Era
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 03:10:45 AM »
Welcome to the dark side, young master.

Really, you already have the addiction since you have hardly started down this road and you already have plans to buy another. A friendly word of warning, this addiction can spiral out of control. My brother has over 40 bikes (and growing) and is just completing a 3000 sq ft shed to keep them all in. However, if you keep your addiction in check, it can be a very rewarding hobby.

I, myself, have 13 bikes now and since the only vintage scene around here is in my garage, I race them against the modern bikes. Being that you are recovering from injuries, you'll appreciate having that excuse (riding old bikes) when you are getting beat by kids on new bikes, and not that you are old and slow. I find that I enjoy racing much more even when I don't win because I did it at such a disadvantage. When I get on a friends modern bike, I tend to push myself beyond my current physical limits and can see myself back on the couch, unable to move (again).

The '82 YZ125J is an excellent bike to get started with because not only is it relativily cheap but also and excellent rider. Many folks start out with a bike from their youth only to find they hate riding it after all these years and move into EVO bikes. For me, vintage bike #1 was a Jackpiner and everytime I ride it, I win or break it. Vintage bike #2 was a '71 Pursang and I have yet to complete a moto on it. Vintage bike # 14 will probably be something like your little Yamaha!
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 03:54:10 AM »
Hey Blue Smoke,
Yeah, I'm thinking that a nice, early eighties YZ250 would compliment my YZ125J nicely. But WOW at yours, and your brothers addiction, I mean, collection.  :o
But as far as riding them, I am definitely looking forward to using that as an excuse. It's the old bike, I am still as fast as ever!  :P   Mostly though I am looking forward to riding a track that is only being ridden predominantly by two strokes, so inside ruts might last longer than two laps, and not get blown out to the outside like they all do with all the foopers being ridden these days. As well, the track will not get anywhere near as rough either. Sounds perfect to me.
I would love to see your collection though, got any pics? How often do you manage to get out for a ride ?? What sort of tracks are you riding, typical modern motocross tracks, or more natural terrain tracks ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 05:02:57 AM »
I was told there's more fun (and more beer) at Vintage races.

I can relate a bit to your story.
Most tracks around here got closed down from 2002 onwards, when the 4strokes came in.
Before that, there were never any sound issues around here..!
And more costs got involved. I also lost interest in it,
and stopped buying tickets for big pro races filled with foopers.
But around 2008/beginning of 2009, i saw the 2 strokes coming back more and more.
But i still refuse to buy gp tickets.
We had a nice gp at the Lierop track for years. But now the Dutch organizers can't afford the
insane Giusseppe Luongo prices anymore, he's asking big money for a 4 stroke filled GP weekend...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 05:05:52 AM by EJ »

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 07:57:03 AM »
For such a small place, we have a surprising amount of off road competition here on Terceira. I race every weekend either on bikes, quads or in 4x4 trucks. We have 3 tracks plus my Terra-Moto! (30 minute Harescrambles) races. One of the 3 tracks is a regular Outdoor MX track but it is used only for the 2 regional events while the other two are quad friendly.

Many of my pics are on Facebook (Kurt Eibell) or on tt-terceirence.com (kurteana). I also have the TITMQ.com website but I don't think I have any/many pics on there. Rui Chu is a local fotographer and x-mx'er who shoot a lot of the pics. My brother Eric has many of his bikes on Facebook as well. You might see pics on the flvmx.com website too. He's #88 usually on a Can-Am or Husky.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 08:00:12 AM »
I really enjoy the vintage bikes as well. ;D

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 12:32:07 PM »
As do I:

So --- I just took that white '76 125 (which really is now a 175) to a practice session at a local track. Nice track but Not Vintage Friendly. I have some helmet cam video that just cracks me up. As I crawl over doubles guys on 450s are "flying" past me to make triples. I don't think I am going back there again.  :o  I have yet to sign up for a true AHRMA event, looking forward to it when its possible.

That said, these old Yamaha bikes really are stone reliable and tons of fun to ride. Just not on doubles. At race speeds. With 15 year olds flying past your ear at 3x your speed. But thats a small thing.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 12:36:44 PM by citabjockey »
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 07:06:31 PM »
A vintage club in my area has in the past rented a farmer's field and created a flowing natural terrain track without one single artificial feature.The guys really enjoy it. ;D

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 02:26:22 AM »
Good advise for anyone wanting to VMX on a modern track:

Try to ride with the women and children. I can't tell you how dangerous it is to be on a VMX machine and having some idiot kid launching a 250 lb 4$ over your head to make a double or triple.

Riders today seem to have forgotten that it is the responsibility of the person passing - not the person being passed, to make a clean, safe pass.

...and if some punk tells you "you shouldn't be out there if you can't do the double", punch him square in the nose and tell him "he shouldn't be here if he can't take a shot to the snoz!" ...then kick him in the nutz for bleeding on your knuckles!

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 10:24:26 AM »
Good advise for anyone wanting to VMX on a modern track:

...and if some punk tells you "you shouldn't be out there if you can't do the double", punch him square in the nose and tell him "he shouldn't be here if he can't take a shot to the snoz!" ...then kick him in the nutz for bleeding on your knuckles!

;D ;D ;D That's just so perfect on so many levels. :D
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 05:01:42 AM »
Hey Blue Smoke,
Yeah, I'm thinking that a nice, early eighties YZ250 would compliment my YZ125J nicely. But WOW at yours, and your brothers addiction, I mean, collection.  :o
But as far as riding them, I am definitely looking forward to using that as an excuse. It's the old bike, I am still as fast as ever!  :P   Mostly though I am looking forward to riding a track that is only being ridden predominantly by two strokes, so inside ruts might last longer than two laps, and not get blown out to the outside like they all do with all the foopers being ridden these days. As well, the track will not get anywhere near as rough either. Sounds perfect to me.
I would love to see your collection though, got any pics? How often do you manage to get out for a ride ?? What sort of tracks are you riding, typical modern motocross tracks, or more natural terrain tracks ??

Go a big bore any take your pick, Japanese if you want to scare yourself or Euro if you want to go fast, you coming down to Mr VMX? Will be there with a very good rider on his RM400, he clears the doubles no problem. Mr VMX will be recreating a era where Mister Motocross was king in Australia  4  x 10min + 1 lap motos.

Offline msmola2002

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 07:24:04 AM »
The might TS men will be making an appearance?

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 02:55:54 PM »
I dunno, need a years notice these days, and all the hard currency blow swanning round the pits at MotoGP ;D

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 03:09:03 AM »
Hey Swapper, here's my latest aqusition which I'll probably get out to a QVMX meet later this year (what's left of it), might catch you out there.

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 08:21:50 AM »
Hey EVO that thing is awesome. Yeah I wanna get out there and check out a meet. Sounds really good. You gonna ride that CR at coolum as well ??

You DECIDE !!