Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: '96 RM125 fork rebuild. Need specs/procedure  (Read 1900 times)

Offline TheRadBaron

• Novice
    • View Profile
'96 RM125 fork rebuild. Need specs/procedure
« on: August 23, 2011, 05:35:12 PM »
I need to rebuild the forks on my '96 RM125, but my stupid Clymer manual has something mixed up. My bike has conventional (non-USD) forks, and according to the Suzuki parts fiche, '97-'98 do also. The '95 has USD forks, though.
Anyway, my manual shows the '89 RM125 having conventional forks (though they look different than my '96s) but all later years having USD forks. Therefore I don't really have the instructions and specs I need to rebuild my forks. Does anyone know where I could find the actual fork rebuild manual and specs for my bike?  Maybe a Suzuki factory shop manual?  I'd even be happy with just the instructions and capacities for changing the oil and adjusting the rebound, etc. 
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.  -Tacitus

Offline pushdogg

• Junior
    • View Profile
Re: '96 RM125 fork rebuild. Need specs/procedure
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 07:51:26 AM »
i have a 98, and i have conventionals on it....i just took them apart for an oil change about a month or so ago. the inside is EXACTLY the same as the inverted....only the fork housings are in a conventional configuration.....i did it completely by my clymer and everything came out perfect. the pictures may not match up in your clymer but trust me the guts are the same.

also it was a little intimidating taking apart my forks for the first time(first time EVER taking forks apart). really there is little that can go wrong as long as you follow the guide....youtube is a very helpful tool when used in moderation and can clear up any grey areas you might run into.

EDIT: your forks literally have to come completely apart to change the oil, im not sure of the oil levels. there should be a table in your clymer.....im surprised your having so much trouble with the service manual at your side. its really strange but it almost requires you to take apart a little of the top.....then a little of the bottom.....then a little on the top again.....then your done....mandatory tools are a buddy and a vise.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 07:57:55 AM by pushdogg »
98 rm125
89 yz490(work in progress)

Offline TheRadBaron

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: '96 RM125 fork rebuild. Need specs/procedure
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 03:40:17 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I've rebuilt lots of forks before, and it wasn't really that I was having trouble with the RM forks.  I just didn't want to tear them apart without having the proper procedure and specs in front of me.  If Clymer tells me that they're inverted and Suzuki (and reality) prove that they are conventional, I think that that's a pretty major "whoops" on Cylmer's part and makes me not trust the manual.  The Clymer manual for these is full of other discrepancies, too. 
I ended up going to my local dealer and they let me look at the Suzuki factory shop manual for the '96 RM125.
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.  -Tacitus