Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 1980 elsinore jetting and ignition questions. HELP  (Read 3133 times)

Offline bullcreek

• Novice
    • View Profile
1980 elsinore jetting and ignition questions. HELP
« on: August 02, 2011, 06:28:20 AM »
so, i am new here! Seems like a great site. (coming from thumpertalk). well, on to the topic. I have a full restoration project of a 1980 honda CR80R elsinore. My question is that i am almost finished with the project but i am wondering if i made a mistake. I used a Carbuerator from my 1987 CR80 parts bike. (yea i know, big difference in engine design) ie.. one is liquid cooled and the other is air cooled. I also wired the stock CDI? to the 1987 CR80 coil and kill switch. The bike has everything stock other than that. I would post pictures but i dont really know how. could use some advice on that as well. So, i start the bike it idles extremely high, even with the choke off and air screw completely spun out. i dont have an air filter on it. i was test starting it. Vacuum leak with no filter? Would the carb from the 87 be much leaner than the one from the 1980? if so what jetts could i get for the 87 and what clip position? Could the coil or stator have to much fire? i dont know much about the electrical parts. THANKS SO MUCH. and any stock setting from the 1980 cr80 carb would be awesome. any advise would be appreciated!

Offline bullcreek

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: 1980 elsinore jetting and ignition questions. HELP
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 06:30:55 AM »
Also, is 32:1 too lean? i am using Klotz supertechniplate with 20% castor oil. i heard back in the day they used 100% castor oil at 20:1.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: 1980 elsinore jetting and ignition questions. HELP
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 09:15:33 PM »
I'd try to find the stock Keihin carb.It has been my experience that 80/85 carbs seem to work best in the high RPM ranges (as you would expect them to) and don't respond well to tuning in the idle/pilot/lower needle regions.The air screw meters air and you would turn it clockwise in to enrichen the idle mixture and reduce engine RPM at idle.As well,you've gone from a 36MM venturi to a 29MM and this will hamper engine output at higher revs.