Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: browsers  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Chokey

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
browsers
« on: January 25, 2010, 07:19:22 PM »
What browsers are most of you using? My new laptop has Windows 7, so of clourse it has IE8, and IE8 doesn't seem to play well with this site. Is Mozzilla or Firefox a little friendlier for this site?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: browsers
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 05:35:11 AM »
Hey Chokey,

First welcome to the forum!! Your input is greatly appreciated.

As for browsers, you bring up a great point. First I am Mac based and use Firefox as my general browser. I also test using Safari, to make sure that things are working well.

As for why this site would not work well with Internet Explorer, well that is a mystery!! The software used to run this site and forum are Open Source packages. My illusion is that they are used by PC programmers much more than Mac programmers... so it doesn't make much sense to me.

Could you take a screen shot of what is happening on your PC?? Maybe from that we can figure out what's going on.

As an additional experiment, try out Firefox and see if that works better for you.

If anyone else is having issues, please post it here or drop me a PM.

Thank you!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 06:06:02 AM »

I'm on windows 7, and use IE8 as well.  I've not had any issues.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline Chokey

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 05:25:29 PM »
The biggest issue I have noticed is when I am typing a reply. As soon as the reply fills the entire reply box and begins to add lines that require scrolling down to see what you are typing, the text in the box begins to constantly jerk back to the top while I'm typing, preventing me from seeing the lines where I am actually typing.

It only seems to happen on my laptop with Win7 and IE8. The older desktop with XP and IE7 doesn't seem to have that issue.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 05:32:46 PM »
I'm on XP with Google Chrome and everything works perfectly, now that the smilies are ironed out.  One comment I have, though, is that I can never tell when there are new posts in a thread.  The icons look exactly the same, so I end up wasting time scrolling to the last post to see if I recognize it or not.  It's great to see if there are new posts within the forums, that works great, but why that wasn't implemented for each thread I don't know.  I don't think that's a browser issue, rather a general nit being picked for the forum.  Other than that, I've really had positive experience with Chrome.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Chokey

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 06:24:52 PM »
Also an unrelated issue. Why can't I upload an avatar? I've tried it as a .gif and a .jpeg, and the site tells me it can't write the file or save the avatar?

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 04:41:16 AM »
I have Ubuntu 9.10 with swiftfox, and I have no problems. Swiftfox is the stripped down version of firefox, just like I like my motorcycles, cars, and women.  ;D :P 8)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 04:54:46 AM »
Also an unrelated issue. Why can't I upload an avatar? I've tried it as a .gif and a .jpeg, and the site tells me it can't write the file or save the avatar?

Did you make sure that the avatar is less than 128K?? That really makes a difference!

Hopefully that works... but if not please try another browser....

Sorry that your having troubles,
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!