Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: What to buy?  (Read 7669 times)

Offline Mr Tibbs911

• Junior
    • View Profile
Re: What to buy?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 04:56:34 PM »
Thanks HS, this weekend were going to look at the '00 because it is in my town. Any real go to things to check? Anything I should bring to help check stuff?
ONLY TWO-strokes belong on TWO wheels.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 05:05:03 PM »
Just check all the normal things.
Steering head bearings,wheel bearings,linkage bearings, chain,chain rollers.
Kick the motor over with your hand slowly to check compression.

And good luck.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Mr Tibbs911

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 05:17:35 PM »
What do you mean by kick it over with my hand? Like use my hand on the kick starter? and what should I be looking for compression wise?

Offline HS125

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 05:41:36 PM »
KIWI means to kick the motor over with your hand instead of your foot.  It should take some effort to do this if it has fair to decent compression.  If it's easy to push the kickstarter over, then the bike will need rings and a new piston at the least.  It's a toss up regarding the bottom end.  That would be something I would check after the purchase just for some peace of mind.

Who knows, the seller may just have a compression tester and may be willing to perform the test for you before the purchase.

Good luck.

Offline Mr Tibbs911

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 05:54:16 PM »
Thanks guys. You are all life-savers haha. He said he had a new top-end put in. Im going to ask to see receipts for everything he claims to be "new."

Offline Mr Tibbs911

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 11:32:29 PM »
I just HAVE to revive my old, dead thread. I had surgery today to install a heart rate monitor(long medical/history story, another day haha ;)) so it'll be awhile before I can ride/invest in a bike.

So the aforementioned '02 yz125 sold, but the '00 still is available. I went to see it and it seems like its in rather good condition. But some new deal came up(possibly).

For $1250, a man has a ''97 RM125 and a '99 CR125. Does anyone know anything about these model years? And am I wrong thinking there is something wrong with them? But I figure I'll text him and get details and pic's before considering it/goingt o look at it.

Questions: Would having two bikes be better than the yz125? and I might buy the two bikes with a friend so it could really knock down the price for maybe adding upgrades or like repairs.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 05:17:04 AM »
I just sold a 1997 RM125 for $700. After I rebuilt it, it was really a great running bike. I weigh 210# and it would do power wheelies easily. My nephew weighs 170# and it really hauled with him on it. Handled very well too. You can't buy aftermarket cranks for them anymore, only a $550 OEM is available so keep that in mind if it needs rebuilt.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Mr Tibbs911

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 06:30:28 PM »
If say the top end needs to be rebuilt, does that include the cranks? and how often do you think it would the top end/crank replaced? Im not going to be racing it, but I wont be like putsing around either. Sry for so many questions hah, but when I was little it was like, "Oh, somethings wrong, lets tell dad!" But I want to do as much as possible with my next bike by myself.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 07:27:09 PM »
No the crank is in the bottom end, so that wouldn't be included in a top end rebuild. And unless it gets damaged you can have it rebuilt with a rod kit much cheaper. I just wanted to point out in case you really fragged it and ruined the crank you will be hurting when it comes time to buy parts  :D.

We don't race, just trail ride. On a 125 I like to replace just the rings once a summer and I replace the complete top end over winter. Maybe over kill since we don't race, but we ride pretty hard and cylinders are expensive.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 05:36:00 AM »
There is very little difference between the Japanese brands in those years. Minor porting, suspension, and bold new graffics were the upgrades. At your level, those changes make ZERO difference.

However, there is something you need to know buying ANY used bike: They are ALL clapped out.

Meaning, no one is selling a perfect bike. One of the reasons peopel buy new bikes every two years is because is is almost as expensive to completely rebuild a bike as it is to buy one new. Bearings need to be replaced, shocks need to be rebuilt and recharged, wheels need to be trued and tightened. Almost all 125's either need or will need in a short time bottom end seals. A 10 plus year old 125 will probably need some cylinder work too - if not now, soon. In addition, 125's are usually ridden by kids who, lets face it, don't usually take good care of their equipment.

I don't mean to flame anyone. You might be the exception who takes good care of your bike and you might find one of those bikes that was well maintained, but you should go in there with your eyes open and when one of these parts fail and you have to drop $300+ dollars to fix it, don't let it leave a bad taste in your mouth.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline Mr Tibbs911

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 02:13:10 PM »
Yeah I figured it wasnt on the top end, but I couldn't recall.
And Vintage, well everyone/anyone, do you think you could put together a "used two-stroke checklist"???
I figure if you put it into a new thread, it might be stickied so it can be used easily by everyone...

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 02:42:59 PM »
There are a few diamonds in the rough(coops RM125 was a great deal), but most the time you'll end up with someone's project. You get what you pay for.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:51:00 PM by factoryX »

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline Mr Tibbs911

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 03:22:05 PM »
Haha Factory I've heard that my whole life. I am just looking for advice on how to get the most out of the small amount of money I possess.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 03:47:20 PM »
You're going to have to sift through garbage to find a deal, took me half a year to find my 03 yz250 $1000, and it still needed minor cosmetic touch ups. (Rear tire $80, sprockets/chain $100 with RMATV lol, air filter $20, and Plastics $100-$150)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:51:31 PM by factoryX »

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline Mr Tibbs911

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 04:27:37 PM »
The last thing I care about is cosmetics. But does, anyone, have a checklist?