Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: even though I'm becoming more anti-Honda all the time,  (Read 3192 times)

Offline compmoto

• GASGAS dealer
  • Novice
    • View Profile
even though I'm becoming more anti-Honda all the time,
« on: June 20, 2011, 05:56:21 AM »
I do still have some love left from my late 80s CR250 affiliation... but  recently,I've come to "want" an aluminum framed 250.
I have looked at these before,but am not sure of the differences,if any, between the years. Now, I've found a decent prospect (2000 model), near me, but for $1250, I need to know more. I think the 01 is a better bike, (I've heard) but need more info... would some knowledgeable soul please advise me of the changes Honda made thru the models of aluminum framed 250s, before Honda , in their truly infinte wisdom , nixxed the 2t from their moto fleet ... >:(   plus I'm pretty sure I can get this bike , a little bit cheaper, as in, sub $1K ...after all, it is a "2 stroke" ... ;)
RMX250,YZ125,Maico490,RD400,RZ350

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: even though I'm becoming more anti-Honda all the time,
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 06:31:24 AM »
The last of the piston ports,the 2001 CR250,is a gem.The electronic servo powervalved,case reed models that followed,in spite of their hop up potential,are deeply flawed. ;D

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 02:37:36 PM »
The last of the piston ports,the 2001 CR250,is a gem.The electronic servo powervalved,case reed models that followed,in spite of their hop up potential,are deeply flawed. ;D

....... but they make an able woods bike-in part because of their flaws.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 09:12:47 PM »
The 2000/01 CR's were pretty much the same i think so you couldnt go wrong with a 2000 model
The 97/8/9 models had the same frame etc, the 2000/01 were the same and im pretty sure the 02 thru 07 were very simillar, i have an 05 and i absolutely love it despite how FLAWED people say they are i think its awesome...... :D
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline dogger315

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 07:44:19 AM »
$1250 for a decent 2000 CR250 is a good price.  The 2000 and 2001 engines were essentially
the same, a little more radical port timing on the 01, much better Keihin PWK on the 00.  They
shared the gen 2 Aluminum frame and were a big improvement over the overly stiff, harsh riding
97-99 gen 1s.  The 00-01 hpp port engines are generally regarded as the last and best CR250
engines.  That is why you see an 01 engine (instead of a later model), used in Service Honda's
CR250 AF hybrid.

The only down side to purchasing one of these older bikes is the decreasing availability of
aftermarket and replacement parts.

IMO, if the bike is in good shape, you should jump on the deal before somebody else snags it.

dogger

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 10:49:18 AM »
The latest generation frames are better handling so they say but they're all good bikes-for that$$,I'd jump on it.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline WoodsRiderParts

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Woods Rider Parts.com
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 04:40:32 AM »
Do it Do it  ;D
Luke
-------------------------------
www.woodsriderparts.com - Woods, Enduro, and MX Parts and Accessories
www.onlytrailbikes.com
2009 Husky WR250