Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: how would i get the most out of my bike?  (Read 3644 times)

Offline jweaver427

• Novice
    • View Profile
how would i get the most out of my bike?
« on: June 10, 2011, 04:17:09 PM »
hey guys. i ride an '06 yz125, and i wanna know how i can get the most out of it without** a big bore kit. i already have an FMF fatty with an FMF shorty and vForce3 reeds. what else can i do to get the most out of what i have without spending loads of money?? any help would be great, thx
i put the kick starter to your 4 stroke next to the tampons in your purse.

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: how would i get the most out of my bike?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 04:32:19 PM »
Learn how to jet it to the point of detonation and play with the ignition timing. The 2 a closely related. For modifications sort out the squish band, apart from a v force forget the bolt on bits.

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 12:26:51 AM »
Learn how to jet it to the point of detonation and play with the ignition timing. The 2 a closely related. For modifications sort out the squish band, apart from a v force forget the bolt on bits.
Spot on as always 2T, dangerous ground for the inexperienced though.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 08:56:36 AM »
I have a different take on this.

Keep your bike clean. Just like the pros do. This makes it easier to see if there are any problems with your bike that must be attended to. Also it looks good when you show up at the track. Besides, heavy caked up mud adds weight to your bike which requires more horsepower.

Next make sure that the wheels spin freely. Most bikes tend to develop bad wheel bearings, which rob horsepower. Much of the bearing damage is done by using a pressure washer, so if you use one to clean your bike, check this area regularly. One of the TSM sponsors is All Balls which sells bearing kits at reasonable prices. When they're bad, replace them.

Make sure your brakes do not drag when you spin the wheels. Two reasons for this, the dragging brakes take horsepower to spin, plus it wears out your brake pads!

CLEAN YOUR AIR FILTER!!! You would be shocked to know that many people do not have a regular schedule for properly cleaning their air filter. By regular, it means after every ride or race. Your race bike needs large quantities of air to produce power. A dirty, clogged air filter robs you of precious horsepower. As an added benefit your engine lasts a lot longer.

Clean and lube your chain. O-ring chain takes more horsepower to spin, but keeps dirt out of sensitive areas. Make sure that there is no rust keeping your chain from spinning freely. You also might want to check to ensure that your sprockets line up. You can look at the chain/sprocket from the rear as you spin the wheel. Does your chain make a turn at the front sprocket or rear sprocket? Then something is wrong, even if you lined up the chain adjuster marks.

These are just some of the basics, that can be done for very low cost. They can make a huge dfference in the performance of your machine.

Have fun!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 08:14:26 PM »
Spot on as always 2T, dangerous ground for the inexperienced though.

I did say 'learning' which requires a supply of pistons to offer up to the 'God of Speed'. If you haven't seized a 2T engine yet your not trying.
John has some good sound advice there. Though it is far easier to make HP than it is to drop weight on a bike.
eg,
90kg bike with 30HP= 0.333HP/kg
85kg bike with 30HP= 0.352 HP/kg
90kg bike with 35HP= 0.388 HP/kg
Sorting your suspension makes lap times drop, if you have a post 03 model bike the OEM suspension just needs minor tuning, before that it's time to update.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 01:12:10 PM »
As 2T said, sort your suspension out for your weight.
Will make more difference then any engine mod.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline jweaver427

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 01:25:19 PM »
thanks for all the help guys.. i guess imma start with the suspension.. im gonna change the fork oil and adjust the rear suspension height and see how that does for me.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 04:44:46 PM »
springs for your weight and a revalve for what you type of riding you do is the best investment you can make for your bike performancewise
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline jweaver427

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 11:20:42 AM »
yeah im gonna change the springs bc the guy that owned the bike before i did wieghed like 200... and im only 155