Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: My Kind of Riding  (Read 4874 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
My Kind of Riding
« on: June 07, 2011, 06:52:01 PM »
I've shown videos of side-by-side riding before, and most of it has been easy cruising on gravel roads, which was obviously pretty boring.  Well, that's not what it's all about.  This is.

Cowboys and Engines

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
Re: My Kind of Riding
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 07:03:01 PM »
Sweet ridin Jetz, looks fun! Glad to see you're back
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 02:35:02 AM »
I'm on a roll now.  Remember the video that got taken down from copyright?  Apparently Bob Seger's record company is more friendly.

On the Road Again

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 02:55:54 AM »
Nice videos and nice riding!

Offline snowboarderro

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 03:46:07 AM »
no ofesn jetz but how is this not boring?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 07:15:45 AM »
That's a nice AW Maico you are riding with. ;D

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 09:21:25 AM »
no ofesn jetz but how is this not boring?
It's really up to opinion... Some people find modern supercross boring.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 09:43:04 AM »
It's really up to opinion... Some people find modern supercross boring.

Yep. I have given Jetz a hard time (light hearted of course) in the past about how they ride. But truth is he enjoys those types of rides so more power to him, even if they aren't for some of us. Heck he would hate the stuff I ride, so really to each his own  :D .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline AFG

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 12:17:35 PM »
Beautiful trails, and the temperature even looks comfortable! Here in south Texas we are already 99-100deg in the shade, and not a drop of rain.I am so jealous.But, I digress. Down here we used to call this "cowtrailing". Because we would follow all the trails made by cattle and see where they took us. Really alot of fun! Unfortunately most of the land we used to ride isn't open anymore. My friends and I would take off and be gone all day. Exploring and spending time with your buddies was the goal. For anyone who hasn't done it, they should try it at least once, before all the open land is shut down. As many have said "take time to smell the roses", Cowtrailing is a great way to do it. BTY I thought the video was really cool. Keep um' comeing! The AW is a 77', right? Great bike! Thanks for putting the video up.

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 12:57:55 PM »
Great sounds on that video and what a nice place to cruise around in the dirt. I will add a plus one vote to this too. Here is a video from october last year in SoCal at Hungry Valley SVRA. The son of a friend of mine is riding the 4T and he starts out after checking on someone else on the trail. At 1:40 he comes up to me on a '73 Yamaha 175 and waves me ahead and tails me for a bit. After a couple of minutes we catch the rest of the plonker group. Fun stuff (if you are into this sort of thing -- which I am; oh, but I also like Enduros, MX and cross country racing...)

Endurofest 2010, Helmet Cam, Craig Tailing Rob
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 01:21:11 PM »
That old 175 is sweet! I just gave a chest protector just like that away  :)

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 02:04:01 PM »
I really enjoy cowtrailing and I prefer to ride old bikes when I need to relax and explore.Usually the old bikes have huge comfy seats,really wide ratio transmissions,are quiet and have big gas tanks.Best of all,because they are old,I don't feel like opening the throttle and can therefor relax and "smell the roses" (quite literally in my area in the summer). ;D

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 02:44:12 PM »
My 175 has a pretty small seat -- but other that this it fits the bill. Its amazingly capable for a 2/3 scale bike. That weekend was the first time I had it in dirt (only owned it for a year and change). I thought the 3" suspension was going to be a disaster but on that bike is really does quite well. If course I am not going to run away from a CRF450 but what do you expect?  ;D It's a blast to ride in the dirt or around town -- I get tons of "I used to own one of those..." comments everywhere I go on it.

I really enjoy cowtrailing and I prefer to ride old bikes when I need to relax and explore.Usually the old bikes have huge comfy seats,really wide ratio transmissions,are quiet and have big gas tanks.Best of all,because they are old,I don't feel like opening the throttle and can therefor relax and "smell the roses" (quite literally in my area in the summer). ;D
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
One thing also to consider when watching the first video I posted here, is that were were gone from camp for about four hours.  Even though we both brought a 2-liter bottle of premix to extend our range, we eventually had to turn back and hyper-mile our way back to camp, and when we got there we discovered that the Maico (yes, it is a '77 AW250) had NO gas in the tank.  It had gas in the bowl and the fuel line, and that was it.  If we'd had more gas it would've been nice to ride a bit harder, but if you push them a bit harder you simply can't get to the places you want to explore.  The ride back to camp, trying to burn as little gas as possible, was pretty miserable.  I think in the future we'll have to carry a gallon of extra gas. :)

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 05:30:25 AM »
It's not the speed some, it's the terrain. To me anyway. I enjoy that type of fire road/cow trail once in a while but I more enjoy challenging trails. Nasty uphills with roots, rocks, ruts; tight bar scraping trees single track, etc,. I am sure if I showed videos of my trails you would find them boring because it's not what you enjoy to ride.

But when I say boring that is misleading. I would still enjoy riding those trails with you and your family, You are out riding and that's what matters!  :) .