Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Curiousity got the better of the cat.  (Read 7303 times)

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Curiousity got the better of the cat.
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 06:40:48 AM »
With any new saw the first step is to whip out the Dremel tool and grind a slot in the hi and lo mixture screws so you can adjust the mixture.I guess it doesn't help if there are no mixture screws. :-X

The Japanese saws are well built but too bulky and heavy.

It is amazing how many Stihl copies are coming out of China.

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 06:43:05 AM »
I'm no saw guy though I have owned a couple; a Husky (from Husqvarna, before Electrolux) and a McCulloch. I've never competed or worked in the logging industry. However, in 2000 I moved to Florida from the mountains of North Carolina and I boxed my Mac up for the move and didn't unpack it until October last year (2010) here in Portugal. I put fuel in it but found the pickup tube and filter in the tank had rotted away. I installed another (6 euro) from what I don't know and performed the starting routine: STEP 1 - cock the trottle, choke on, pump the bleeder, pull the starting rope a few times until it tries to start (and dies). {this happened on the first pull} STEP 2 - choke off, pull unil it starts. It started on the second pull.

10 years and the little Mac was cutting trees on the first pull. Now I use it about monthly making/clearing trails and it always starts first time. 'Gotta appreciate that!
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 03:03:49 PM »
Well Sachs,the old fella may have claimed the Dolmar was the cats arse but that just goes to prove how being old doesn't automatically make you wise :)
On the other hand,I couldn't say about the big 'uns.Around here,you'd only see that on a mill.Most use a 50 and 60 cc combo.
I wouldn't touch a new stihl with the non adjustable jets.I wasn't aware it was both,I thought just the high speed was fixed.
My jred is a 2156.It's basically the same as a 357 husky except for colour and the fact that it has a straight top handle(as on all jreds)which is one reason I like them.
I've never felt it to be down on power in the least though it did require slight modification.As delivered,it had limiter caps and a catalytic muffler.I had heard they run very hot this way but figured I'd give it try anyway.Hot is an understatement.Of course,it has to for the catalyst to be effective.I ended up removing the caps to properly set the carb and modifying the muffler.Most people put a non catalyst muffler from an older model on it but I just opened mine up some and tried it,then gave it a little more until I felt it was running freely.The difference was reasonably dramatic.
Whenever anyone starts crying about DI I always think of what's happened in the chainsaw world-I'd take the DI anyday.
TMKIWI,I like my plastic jred but also have a  few oldies as well including a '67 R16 Partner and a Partner 500 both of which I had out not long ago just to keep them going.
All of them are tuned correctly and use gas out of the same jug but, the modern 2156 smokes very little,the 500 a little more and the R16 a fair bit more.They have certainly improved with age until the epa got the newer ones  :(
My plan is to continue to buy older ones and stock them away for future use-or wait for a new DI Jonsered  8)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 03:36:10 PM »
I've got a couple of 50cc Dolmars plus the PS6400 and the 100cc (153).I had a beautiful small Stihl but lost it when some guy B&Ed my truck (probably a Maritimer ;)).

When you're 85 years old,healthy and wealthy,you must know what you are talking about. ::)

The 50's MB 300SLs had mechanical DI,I wonder if this would work on a chainsaw?.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 03:46:59 PM »
No reason why not  8)
Actually,I like Stihl and would put the quality higher than a Husky/Jred though both are good,long lasting machines.Stihl just always had those crappy rubber bungs for a AV system.Husky/jred are just a nicer saw to use-especially when your hands are buggered like mine and fall asleep quickly with too much vibration.
As far as which is the best I'm reminded of a trip to the local forestry exhibition many moons ago with my late grandfather(lifetime logger and one of my teachers)
Anyway,we were looking at a restored early two person chainsaw.It was crude,cumbersome and horribly heavy.When I commented on what a pig it was he just smiled and said "when you were used to an axe and a buck saw,these where magic-you'll find everything is that way over time" So far I'd have to say he's been right. :)

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 10:00:17 PM »
I was only pulling your chain ford about your plastic fantastic. ;D
I used to sell them at one time.
You can't go wrong with either Husky/Jonesered or Stihl.
Stihl over here are just to expensive.
When it comes to small saws and line trimmers etc, I have used Echo for years and they are a good little unit.
Stihl owners are a bit like Yamaha owners in that they think everything else is sub standard. ;)
I feel pity for them. :P
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 05:06:29 AM »
Lol,yeah,I know.Stihl and Husky are priced about the same around here though many Stihl owners do seem to have the "nothing but a Stihl" trait for some reason.We have a local Echo dealer and I've heard good things about them but never used one.
Stihl owners are actually more like TM owners-they realize they're hampered by substandard equipment but just refuse to see the light.
Yamaha owners are simply more discerning when it comes to their gear.  :D

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 09:12:43 AM »
I've got a Stihl 056 AVG on a chainsaw mill and,while it doesn't have the grunt of my big Dolmar,it amazes me just how tough that saw is.

Gear is an apt description of the appliance like nature of a Yamaha motorcycle. ;D

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 10:12:33 AM »
I watched some on Youtube..
There are some wicked modified saws with lovely custom made exhausts 'n stuff..! :P

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2011, 10:29:54 AM »

Gear is an apt description of the appliance like nature of a Yamaha motorcycle. ;D

Only a Westerner would find Yamaha "gear" appliance-like  :D

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17250&d=1039887814

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 05:40:38 AM »
Nice chest protector!

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!