Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Jeff Emig's comment on 2 and 4 strokes  (Read 6473 times)

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
Jeff Emig's comment on 2 and 4 strokes
« on: May 31, 2011, 08:04:34 PM »
I was watching the last AMA outdoors race at freestone last night and for those that didn't see it Ryan dungey's bike stopped with two laps to go. The commentators were discussing how things like that could happen on a factory race bike and how you can't replicate the conditions (hot) in training an Jeff said "the new 450's run at so much higher temperatures and have so many more moving parts than the old two strokes."
He didn't finish the sentence and went onto something else but I pointed that fact out to my brother who is looking at a 250f.
In that same moto they had a report from the pits that factory Honda puts a new motor in their bikes EVERY MOTO.
Kevin windham also blew his hike up in the first moto.
No wonder factories don't want two strokes racing when factory four strokes can't finish a race

Offline snook620

• Professional
  • weekend warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jeff Emig's comment on 2 and 4 strokes
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 10:03:07 PM »
Dungeys bike stopped because it boiled the fuel and ran out of gas. Windhams bike blew up because a rock put a hole in his radiator and he kept going. Just bad luck really

Race day engine changes are nothing new. I was at a Kenworthys national ('96 maybe?) when Kawasaki changed Damon Huffmans KX125 engine 3 times.

2000 YZ 125 under construction

Offline scottydog

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 10:05:18 PM »
So is one of the reasons the AMA nationals have gone to a one day thing is because it cost too much to run a 4 stroke mx bike for more than one day?

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 10:28:12 PM »
Regardless of why the engines failed, my point was more about emig saying on an internationally broadcast event that there is more that can go wrong with 4 strokes than 2 strokes. I know 2 strokes fail and blow up but for once he wasn't praising the amount of power made by them, he was pointing out a weakness

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:39:28 PM »
Dungeys bike stopped because it boiled the fuel and ran out of gas. Windhams bike blew up because a rock put a hole in his radiator and he kept going. Just bad luck really

Race day engine changes are nothing new. I was at a Kenworthys national ('96 maybe?) when Kawasaki changed Damon Huffmans KX125 engine 3 times.

Yes... It boiled because it got hot. That's what Chump is saying.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 01:58:25 AM »
Emig's insight into racing is surprisingly bad. Great rider doesn't always equal great announcer. He made some comment during Hangtown (I think) towards the superiority of the 4$. I threw the BS flag and walked out before I pissed of the rest of the audience in the room.

Carmichael does well though.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 09:31:30 AM »
I enjoy Carmichael much more. He's willing to throw the BS flag if another announcer tries to make a point on something they have no idea about. AE Ralph was saying why a rider crashed and was being a total boob, Carmichael says no no, that's not it at all, then goes on to explain.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline snook620

• Professional
  • weekend warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 03:59:19 PM »
Yes... It boiled because it got hot. That's what Chump is saying.

Yes I know, he didnt say anything about the fuel boiling though  :)

2000 YZ 125 under construction

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 07:38:51 AM »
I like the way they say "...the old 2-strokes." Like these bikes are already dinosaurs. My guess is the factories will bring them back after about 5 years.

Offline Suzuki TS250/185

• Expert
  • No Thanks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 08:54:20 AM »
Yes Burn, that IS funny and strange.

I've noticed that whenever the announce-a-tards refer to a 2 stroke like the 125's they mentioned at Hangtown or the 250's this time at Freestone, they ALWAYS couple the mention with a derogatory term like "little" or "old". At the same time of course, favorable words and phrases rain down from the announce-a-tards on the farty 4 strokes even as they give up their last farts and die along the side's af the track like sick elephants. We endlessly hear things like, "Big 450's" "So Powerful" "Such Roost" "So Much Roost" "The Roost coming off these Big 450's can take you right off the back of the bike!!!"...   

It sounds like something they've been coached to do, so that the broadcasts can present the slant the series sponsors and factories desire.

Truth is, I've never heard so many excuses being made for factory race bikes. What a pathetic bunch of FOOPERS we've got running around out there now! I feel sorry for the suckers who'll fall into buying one of those rolling junk yards because of the bullshit they see on TV this year.

Thanks,

Jim
I think 4 stroke dirtbikes are a phase, kind of like "Glam Rock" in a way. You see the whole world subscribing to it, and you wonder how everyone could be choking down so much Kool Aid and Spam... Then 10 Years later, nothing's left but the timeless stuff from before and after..

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 10:32:18 PM »

Regardless modern 2-strokes are much more reliable than the modern 4-strokes.High revving 4-strokes with twice the amount of internal moving parts not to mention the heavier weight without a doubt taxes those engines to the max! I also agree as another TSM member quoted that within the next 5 years I believe the 2-strokes will @ least start to make a major comeback...... ;) I can't wait!!!

Offline xandyx

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 03:43:01 AM »
i'd like to tell the brands "dont forget the roots and dont sell out" and let them think about this..

Offline socalcajun

• Expert
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 04:02:54 PM »
I like the way they say "...the old 2-strokes." Like these bikes are already dinosaurs. My guess is the factories will bring them back after about 5 years.

I'm not a gloom and doomer but we were saying the same thing 5 years ago.  There's still hope and I have plenty to spare.  Sooner or later they have to pay attention to the 400lb gorrila in the room.
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell Out of the Way

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 06:26:22 PM »
Yes Burn, that IS funny and strange.

I've noticed that whenever the announce-a-tards refer to a 2 stroke like the 125's they mentioned at Hangtown or the 250's this time at Freestone, they ALWAYS couple the mention with a derogatory term like "little" or "old". At the same time of course, favorable words and phrases rain down from the announce-a-tards on the farty 4 strokes even as they give up their last farts and die along the side's af the track like sick elephants. We endlessly hear things like, "Big 450's" "So Powerful" "Such Roost" "So Much Roost" "The Roost coming off these Big 450's can take you right off the back of the bike!!!"...   

It sounds like something they've been coached to do, so that the broadcasts can present the slant the series sponsors and factories desire.

Truth is, I've never heard so many excuses being made for factory race bikes. What a pathetic bunch of FOOPERS we've got running around out there now! I feel sorry for the suckers who'll fall into buying one of those rolling junk yards because of the bullshit they see on TV this year.
 Thanks,Jim

Regardless of peoples opinions either way, the new 450 4strokes are very powerful and do throw mean roost and will throw you off the back if you're not ready.
Don't get me wrong i'm 2t through and through but i've ridden late model 4strokes and know fast they are and i get the feeling alot of people posting on here haven't actually experienced a late model 4stroke MX'er

Offline Harley Elliott 594

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 04:59:11 AM »

hahaha this is a two stroke fourm and it seems like we have a weak link in our system seems like someone is taking up for the 4 strokes if you ask me. anyone else agree??????
TSM RACING 594