Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Yamaha SC500 The Great Yellow Beast  (Read 5461 times)

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
Yamaha SC500 The Great Yellow Beast
« on: May 25, 2011, 09:52:13 AM »
A couple of months ago I finished a rebuild of a 1974 Yamaha SC500. I got this bike for free
from a guy around thanksgiving last year. He said the engine blew up in 1985 and just never
got round to restoring it himself.

Anyway, hers is a short video of the project:
http://s610.photobucket.com/albums/tt188/citabjockey/?action=view&current=TheGreatYellowBeast.mp4

Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Yamaha SC500 The Great Yellow Beast
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 06:20:34 PM »
It looked to be in pretty good shape, must blown and got parked in a garage. Nice find.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 07:07:11 PM »
Good looking bike.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 07:47:09 PM »
Super Hunky offers a good write up on the SC500.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 09:31:57 PM »
Good find.
Did you do anything to the rest of the bike as well. Suspension ?
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 07:56:08 AM »
Something I should mention is that it is a good practice to cover bearings with a rag when a puller is used to remove them.A friend once was pulling a bearing and,before I could warn him,the bearing exploded and a piece cut off the end of his nose - just like a razor blade!  :-X

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 01:47:30 PM »
Exploding bearings? yikes. Will have to keep that in mind next time. Thanks!

Something I should mention is that it is a good practice to cover bearings with a rag when a puller is used to remove them.A friend once was pulling a bearing and,before I could warn him,the bearing exploded and a piece cut off the end of his nose - just like a razor blade!  :-X

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 01:50:03 PM »
But Super Hunky says the motor is uncontrollable/explosive. I find it to be nothing of the sort. Pretty mellow down low and then builds with the revs and makes as much as you can stand when on the pipe. Kind of a dual personality but with 500cc and 3.5 inches of shock travel thats a good thing. Keep it lugging most of the time and then let it wind out when the trail opens up and HANG ON!

Super Hunky offers a good write up on the SC500.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 01:54:48 PM by citabjockey »

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 01:52:03 PM »
Just general cleanup and them some safety items (like new front bearings and brake shoes). Fox emulsion shocks that came on the back were spewing all their oil and nitrogen. I had some Yamaha 360 enduro shocks and threw them on the back (for now until I can get something better). I also swapped out the fork oil, put new grips on it, etc. You know -- small stuff. The engine was the only difficult part (esp finding a 3rd over piston for it  :o).

Its been a fun project.

Good find.
Did you do anything to the rest of the bike as well. Suspension ?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 01:53:43 PM by citabjockey »

Offline Turquine

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 02:09:27 PM »
I bought a used 1974 Yamaha SC 500 back in 1978. The ones friends had had were always seizing up. The guy I bought the bike from told me the trick to keep the beast from seizing was to mix the gas and oil at 10 to 1 instead of the standard in those days, which was 20 to 1. I followed that advice and it never seized on me. The guy I sold it too later reverted to 20 to one thinking it might have more power that way (it doesn't, by the way) and seized it up the first ride.

The bike had terrible suspension, even for its time. It steered fairly well though. It was peaky, but when it came on the pipe, it hauled ass. Standing start drag races against a 1976 Yamaha TT 500 4stroke and 1978 Suzuki RM 400 on pavement would have both the TT and the RM getting a huge jump off the line and way ahead before I could really get moving. The straight we were on did not allow me the time to catch them, but it was gaining on them. However, from a 2nd gear roll-on, the SC would smoke either of those bikes. Well, it would if you did the race not too long after the SC had been warmed up. The SC 500 looses power very badly when it gets hot. Example: We had a huge sand dune that was smooth enough to get a run at, but very tall and steep. The TT 500 couldn't even make it although the RM 400 could. The SC 500 would top the hill in third gear easily if just warmed up. After and hour of mid-day summer riding, however, it didn't have the power to pull the hill in third and had to be downshifted to second and would end up digging a hole and sitting in it well before the crest of the hill, just like the TT. Let it cool down again, and it topped the hill in third effortlessly. The RM 400, by comparison, didn't exhibit much difference no matter how hard and long it had been ridden before trying the same hill. Once the SC 500 was moving, it had good acceleration for it's day, very good. My IT 465 Yamaha enduro (1982) I got years later, however, would beat it even in roll-ons and had smooth power everywhere. Comparing the SC to that, it was a terrible machine. It was fun at times, however. Not many bikes before the advent of the YZ 465 could stay with it in a throttle roll-on. The Maico 501 or 1974 Kawasaki KX 450 being its only rivals there, that come to my mind anyhow.

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 08:09:35 AM »
Took the Beast out last Friday. Got to burn a tank on some trails and then refilled and went out of the MX track. Nice track, just prepped earlier that day. Friday so pretty light use. Only tabletop jumps -- helps control the pucker factor on a vintage scooter.

Anyway, most of the time there was only one other rider on the track - a girl on an 80. So I followed her around for awhile. She set a nice easy pace for the 40 year old bike and the 50+ rider. All this sure does bring back memories. At the end of the video the engine quits on a jump (calling what I do a jump is a bit of a stretch) and I have to pull off the track. Needle had somehow come out of the throttle slide! put that back together and was back in business.

On the MX course with the Great Yellow Beast
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:10:09 AM by citabjockey »

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 08:28:49 AM »
Sweet.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.