Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Owner of TM tells the truth about four strokes  (Read 3618 times)

Offline keeptwostrokesalive

• Professional
    • View Profile
Owner of TM tells the truth about four strokes
« on: May 12, 2011, 02:37:48 PM »
Even the freaking owner of TM says the four strokes were a bad dicision.
http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/Go-Racing/goracingapril2011/2011042501/#50

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Owner of TM tells the truth about four strokes
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 03:49:30 PM »
Even the freaking owner of TM says the four strokes were a bad dicision.
http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/Go-Racing/goracingapril2011/2011042501/#50
Not only that, but he states plain and simply that the other OEM's won't admit it was a failure. Love it.
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 03:58:07 PM »
A friend recently visited the TM factory, it is realy quite small and he was amazed at how much they did in house. The TM 125 mx engine nearly goes as well as the KZ kart engine.

Offline monsteryz125

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 04:40:22 PM »
Definitely have a new found respect for TM as a company (always loved their bikes) next time im in the market for a brand new bike definitely will be a TM
2000 yz125

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 06:44:49 PM »
At least truth is getting out there  ;D
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 09:08:18 PM »
Amen. ;D

I take my hat of to TM for even making a 4 stroke. For a small company that took balls.
( Most small companies just bought an engine in )
Production costs must have been huge.
And all because the powers that be gave the 4 stroke a big advantage in MX.

At least we know what they would rather be making.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 02:12:02 AM »
Great true article!!!
Nice reading.

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 03:02:36 AM »
I've not been a big fan of TM ... until now. It says a lot when a manufacturer comes out and says that.

Eventhough the TM kart stuff is very reliable, I've never known anyone personnaly to sucessfully campain a TM motorcycle. I've known many who tried and those had sufficiet budgets for the series, but there were too many DNF's to continue. Most went back to last years bike or got a new deal elsewhere. I'm racking my brain for a single one that didn't go back to a motorcycle built in Japan (my thinking would be to stay European - KTM, GasGas, Husky, etc.) but I can't name one!

I'll consider a TM for my next new motorcycle purchase although at my age, I'm liking the KTM or 'berg electric start 2T's.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 05:52:26 AM »
Now if those guys in the land of the rising sun would pull thier heads out of the rice bowl and fix the delima.
It's funny I got a friend that rides occasionally, his last bike was a used fourstroke, it blew up, and he wants another one. I asked him if he hadn't learned his lesson on that one. He said I likes the smooth power of a four stroke. I said, Here take my bike for a quick spin. he came back and offered me $5000 for it, lol. ::)The offer was higher than blue book, but I told him to suck it, get a 250 2st and I'll help him tune it to run like mine, for a nominal fee of course, which will still be less than the cost of a top end on a 450. The funny thing is that he never even got my bike into the pipe, he rode it like a four stroke on the bottom and lower mid. Oh, he's also a quad convert. :P
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 06:25:37 AM »
I tried something similar with a 4$ friend. He rides a KTM 450 and he has a lot of miles on it with no major failures but he is 'shopping'. I mentioned vintage bikes (since I had just beat him on my 1980 Can-Am) and let him ride it. Of course, it's a 400 so the abrupt and considerable power scared him. So I let him ride my 1973 Penton Jackpiner 175. Now full disclosure requires that the track we were using is very vintage friendly but he was faster on the Penton than he was for our racing lap times.

I also have to say though that the Penton is pipey and you have to ride it on the pipe or not at all. The Can-Am has so much power that you could never come on the pipe and still be faster than a lot of your friends!

I have not made a convert out of him. He has no reason to. He is one of the few that the 4$ has performed well for; has a forgiving power delivery, a modern design, and has not cost a fortune to own - and operate. It must be noted that we pay about $8.00 a gallon for gas. Its quite a bit more if you have to add premix and get poor gas mileage.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 07:27:51 AM »
It must be noted that we pay about $8.00 a gallon for gas. Its quite a bit more if you have to add premix and get poor gas mileage.
Yeah but the cost of the rebuild difference makes up for that easily.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 08:15:17 AM »
It must be noted that we pay about $8.00 a gallon for gas. Its quite a bit more if you have to add premix and get poor gas mileage.
Yeah but the cost of the rebuild difference makes up for that easily.
I'm going E85 while our government still is giving incentives. The E85 is like $3.30 or something. But it will let me run higher compression, and more HP.  I just picked up my pilot jet the other day. I had the main jet sitting there, but bought the wrong pilot. 
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!