Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Group Participation Project.  (Read 3677 times)

Offline evilscientistmoose

• Novice
    • View Profile
Group Participation Project.
« on: May 07, 2011, 01:59:46 PM »
Hello, gang.
A project I'm working on for the main page is a comprehensive, interactive two-stroke buyer's guide of sorts. Or, it will all blow up in my face, won't work, and I'll be laughed at for the next eleven years.

The plan: To go by age brackets, types of bikes, stupidity levels (how fast do you wanna go?), and even continents, as what's available in the USA, Australia, Europe, etc. More as the project unfolds.

What I need from you people: your top ten-to-twenty two-stroke bikes, and your least favorites. Standouts, whatever....PM me with a list. Comments if you have any, they may be included....the thought here is to have something of a rating system for bikes that are listed.

The idea behind all of this? We spend a lot of time (properly) bashing 4-strokes....but we need to suggest alternatives, if possible....

More later.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Group Participation Project.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 08:33:14 PM »
What time frame are we talking about here? ;D

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 02:23:34 PM »
Wow, a response!

Lol.

I'm thinking probably dividing up into two eras:

1. Modern
2. Not-so-modern.

Seriously, I was thinking of doing a cutoff point around 1980 or so, as the technology with most of these bikes didn't start improving until, well, around 1980, with everything before 1980 falling into 'Classics', and everything after 1980 being labeled 'Post-Modern, Pre-Victorian, Mid-Jurassic Era', or just 'Modern' for short. However, whatever happens with this project depends entirely upon Charles.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 02:42:37 PM »
I didn't reply as I really haven't had the opportunity to ride alot of bikes. But I could comment on what I have ridden how they were set up and what I thought of them.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 03:23:45 PM »
I didn't reply as I really haven't had the opportunity to ride alot of bikes. But I could comment on what I have ridden how they were set up and what I thought of them.

That's exactly what I'm needing. Sort of a 'buyer's comment' project.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 05:46:57 PM »
When are we getting Part IV of The Lost Decade, Evil ?

I am hanging out to read it.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 07:57:56 AM »
Why not push the cutoff back ten years?Motorcycle sales exploded in the 70's and it was an era of great technological change.Some of the nicest trail bikes ever made were built in the 70's,one example being the Ossa Super Pioneer.A lot of the bikes built in the 80's were very confused such as the 82 YZ's,the 86 RM's to name a few. ;D

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 03:45:08 PM »
When are we getting Part IV of The Lost Decade, Evil ?

I am hanging out to read it.

I sent part 4 to Charles on Friday night. We're waiting on him.

Why not push the cutoff back ten years?Motorcycle sales exploded in the 70's and it was an era of great technological change.Some of the nicest trail bikes ever made were built in the 70's,one example being the Ossa Super Pioneer.A lot of the bikes built in the 80's were very confused such as the 82 YZ's,the 86 RM's to name a few. ;D

I agree.

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 01:59:38 PM »
Is this still in the works? No posts for a month. That said it really sounds like a mammoth undertaking. Your scope is huge between the years, brands, models, etc. You will need literally thousands of folks to contribute to have a comprehensive data set. For post '80, I only have one bike that I can address, always got the job done, as close to zero maint as anything I have ever owned, never broke, fun to ride, easy to ride. '92 WR500 Yamaha.
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 02:58:06 PM »
Is this still in the works? No posts for a month. That said it really sounds like a mammoth undertaking. Your scope is huge between the years, brands, models, etc. You will need literally thousands of folks to contribute to have a comprehensive data set. For post '80, I only have one bike that I can address, always got the job done, as close to zero maint as anything I have ever owned, never broke, fun to ride, easy to ride. '92 WR500 Yamaha.

No, I apologize, but I won't be working on this project for the foreseeable future, if at all, and I'm doubtful if anything else of mine will see the main editorial page, as I'm growing a bit weary of the absolutely spotty communication with the site owner. I've lost count of the amount of times I've tried to talk to him on Facebook, as I've got of ideas to help 'grow' this site, only to be ignored. If he's busy with whatever he's doing, that's great, I understand entirely, and if he decides to take this site a bit more seriously, I'm still here.

Otherwise, I need to move onto other projects, namely my Granny Gear side project.