Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Recent exchange from Vitalmx. Is Smart Man's Motocross Dead? NO!!!  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Suzuki TS250/185

• Expert
  • No Thanks
    • View Profile
5 hours ago

Motodave15 wrote:

This is pertaining to this thread Moto

When i look at those pics, it really makes me wonder how come the sport just doesn't seem as cool anymore lol.

For some reason, when im watching the races now i dont feel inclined to watch them over and over anymore like i did then.. Its like they dont have the same appeal.. our sport is missing something that we used to have back in the 90s...im not shure what it is..but i hope we can find it lol.

Do you guys feel like our sport has gotten better or worse?

Mstock wrote:

Yes you have to be a competent mechanic to own a full blown race bike. How many other motorsports can you buy, not maintain, practice, race, and win? The sport is fine. Poor mans motocross is gone.

The Fooperbowl Of Mowercross (That's Me!) Wrote:

Poor man's motocross, or smart man's motocross or whatever you want to call it is gone, but only for morons...

For people who can think for themselves and recognize the high water marks in the development of RACING MACHINES instead of MARKETING MACHINES, it's 100% possible to have all those good things you mentioned, AND avoid the Fukushima Fooper engine from Queen of Spodes's photos. (Photos showed completely destroyed 4 Stroke head and piston, complete with valve fragments both free and embedded in the aluminum...) 

While MARKETING MACHINES have progressed forward by leaps and bounds, the RACING MACHINES have gone a few steps backward in many ways.

Unfortunately, 4 strokes have had an adverse and dulling affect on the sport because of their expense and mechanical absurdity and also because the experience of riding your own bike, and watching others ride and race gets transformed into something a little less exciting in general.

Why is the racing a little more boring for the spectators? You only have to think it over for a second.

The technique of going through a turn fast on a 2 stroke is mind blowing to watch and the arch of the turn is widely variable, especially for the top pros of course. This also holds true for the rest of the track in a general way. The techniques of riding at the top levels on a 2 stroke are more visible and demonstrative in most places on the track so you feel like there's more to see. 2 stroke bikes and riders seem to have more eventful laps with more visible skimming and roosting, wheelies, weightless floating, powersliding and brake sliding, while 4 strokes move in a less explicit manner.

2 Strokes look more exciting going around a track by themselves, so it's no wonder they made for more exiting action before they were excluded from Pro Racing.

The big TV Commercial that forms our sports pro level was just better to witness before. I'm happy to see grass roots racing starting to go that way again as this groundswell of public opinion continues to rise.

I say congratulations to the proponents of "Poor man's motocross".

They just may have sniffed out and rejected the motorcycle industry's "New Coke", the flumpy 4 stroke motocross bike.

Smart move!
I think 4 stroke dirtbikes are a phase, kind of like "Glam Rock" in a way. You see the whole world subscribing to it, and you wonder how everyone could be choking down so much Kool Aid and Spam... Then 10 Years later, nothing's left but the timeless stuff from before and after..

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Recent exchange from Vitalmx. Is Smart Man's Motocross Dead? NO!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 08:49:21 AM »
Amen brother!!
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 09:39:08 AM »
I always love your posts on there man. This reminds me of something i've been hearing on the radio lately... I'm about to make a post about it.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline downonmonday

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 11:51:40 AM »
Great write up!
2000 Honda CR 250, 2004 Suzuki RMZ 250, 2004 Suzuki GSXR 750, 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Sport

Offline Joe III

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Business Finance Consultant
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 08:07:16 PM »
Ditto to all of the above.
If you're afraid to break it, it's not worth having.