Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Since the Glove Hunt is over...I'm looking for my pants!  (Read 3138 times)

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
Since the Glove Hunt is over...I'm looking for my pants!
« on: May 06, 2011, 01:50:12 AM »
Silly question, I know. Last weekend I was trying one of my bikes for the first time. About a year ago, I bought a Can-Am MX6 400. It was very pretty but you could tell the resto was done with a rattle can. I unloaded it from the trailer, started 1st full kick and headed out for practice. Then the paint started melting and burning on the pipe. That lead to my new pants burning through to my knee.

Back at the truck, I realized that my new MX pants didn't have leather on the inside of the knees. I called my wife and had her check 3 more pairs at the house. None of them had leather. One pair was my MSR Goretex from 1991!

That got me thinking, when did they stop putting leather on the inside of the knee? Do any new products have them? Shopping for me is basically 'online' only so it is virtually impossible to tell unless it is in the description. Does anyone have pants with leather on the knee?

Now where did I put my keys...
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Since the Glove Hunt is over...I'm looking for my pants!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 03:13:18 AM »
Dirt Bike riding stopped being protective gear, and more of just a uniform a long time ago. I remember when pants came with hip padding and plastic knee cups, jersey's had pads in them, and gloves actually had padding/armor on the outside. Now stuff is flimsy and cheap.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 03:31:21 AM »
I think leather panels died out when 4t's disappeared,and showed up again when they returned.I burnt all of my gear when I had the Berg.Most all have leather panels on either one side or both these days.Check out the Moose line from Parts Unlimited.I've been looking at these as they aren't flashy.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline George

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 06:35:37 AM »
Ive gone the other way, after a few pairs of mx trousers with leather in the knee ive started buying ones without the leather, it cracks and goes hard in the wash and rips way before the rest of the kit, my old no fear kit had leather knees, maybe 3 year old kit? I think it was no fear electron?

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 08:44:40 AM »
I only have one pair of pants with out leather knees, they are Thor Ride over the boot, TLD, AXO, Moose, And Thor all have leather knee panels.
I don't think I've ever had a pair of pants that didn't have leather panels except the Thor Ride. I think even the wife and kids Ocelots have leather.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 02:33:25 PM »
My M2R (Aussie brand) pants have nice large leather sections.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough